• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Watching Buffalo recently they really pass and rebound. A lot of assists by multiple players unlike our team. They get after it on defense as well. Deflections and steals are encouraged. High energy and team oriented. Nate Oats has a positive demeanor. I would love to get him.

A smart AD would have ended this charade, named Nestor as interim, met with the players assuring them Wake will do everything in its power to attract a top-flight coach and meanwhile working the hell out of the back-channels and phones to attract someone like an Oats.

That's what a smart AD would do.

Rather, total disregard for the alums and fans and complete arrogance will only fuel more players leaving, more dissension and even a more desperate hire in the spring. Assuming the idiot even fires Manning and I'm not totally convinced he will. I honestly would not have put it past our esteemed overpaid gym teacher to have guaranteed Manning's contract.

It’s unfortunate that Kelsey hasn’t had more (recent) success. I love his passion. I’m just not sure he’d be successful at the ACC level. He should have taken the UMASS job 2 years ago.

There are others with much better resumes.

I also think some folks around here are looking for a coach (and staff) that have no ties to Wake.

Other than UCLA, for which Musselman seems like a lock, what are some other P5 jobs that will be open that we'll (hopefully) compete with for the services of Oats, etc?

Other than UCLA, for which Musselman seems like a lock, what are some other P5 jobs that will be open that we'll (hopefully) compete with for the services of Oats, etc?

Given the state of our program, we'll be competing with Buffalo...

I'm glad that all the Ryan Odom talk has died down now that he's proven himself to be a one-game wonder rather than a wunderkind.

I have been giving some thought as to how we got in this mess. While it is easy to say that Wellman is an idiot, a statement with which I agree, I believe there is more to the story. I assume that during the last year of Gaudio's tenure, the administration made a decision that it no longer wanted to try to compete for the "one and done's" against the likes of UK and Duke. The lack of success (academically and athletically) coming from the ATT class, and the debacle of the 3 amigos who went to OSU, likely paved the way for such a decision. It may have simply been the realization that attracting such athletes to Wake was hopeless since we were never going to lower our academic requirements and expectations. It might have also been influenced by Hatch and his entourage who seem to take seriously that Wake must be a truly collegiate school that educates the whole being, rather than a one-dimensional bball player.

In any case, I think Wellman made the decision that with no one and done's, the best way for Wake to compete was to focus on 3 and 4 stars and to bring in coaches with legitimate NBA credentials. The sales job to the recruits would be that "if you stay in the program we will have the coaching staff to develop you for the NBA". I think that is why Wellman chose Buzzballs and then Manning since they both have legitimate NBA cred. Unfortunately, Wellman completely overlooked whether or not either coach had the personality to motivate either the team or the fanbase, the intelligence required for the role, and whether their style of play would be successful. Hopefully, now Wellman realizes that he needs to find a great coach, whether or not they have NBA experience..

I also think that Wellman was caught with his pants down twice when he whiffed on his first and second candidates during both searches, and then got nervous and shot his wad. His impetuous tendencies have also shown themselves with his constant tendency to unnecessarily commit to multi-year contract extensions. While I can partly understand how we got into this mess, it is unclear how we will get out of it if we have to deal with Wellman's continued presence and prior decisions baggage.

Last edited:
In any case, I think Wellman made the decision that with no one and done's, the best way for Wake to compete was to focus on 3 and 4 stars and to bring in coaches with legitimate NBA credentials. The sales job to the recruits would be that "if you stay in the program we will have the coaching staff to develop you for the NBA". I think that is why Wellman chose Buzzballs and then Manning since they both have legitimate NBA cred. Unfortunately, Wellman completely overlooked whether or not either coach had the personality to motivate either the team or the fanbase, the intelligence required for the role, and whether their style of play would be successful. Hopefully, now Wellman realizes that he needs to find a great coach, whether or not they have NBA experience..

Manning has attempted to recruit a number of one-and-done players. We have a player on our team right now who indicated his plan to only spend a year in college throughout his recruitment. No one but the coach's son stays around for more than a couple years. If Wellman's goal was to get rid of recruiting one-and-done players and create a team full of "coached up" upperclassmen, he's failed even more miserably than I thought.

Last edited:
Seems to me NBA ties are much more likely to be detrimental than beneficial.

I think it's most likely that Wellman simply sucks at all aspects of managing basketball. In his long career that so many of his fans like to point to as evidence of success, hiring Skip is basically the only good basketball decision he's made for either team. He's decimated a once great men's program over multiple hires and our women's program has been an abject failure his entire time at Wake.

Last edited:
Don't feel like reading entire thread to see if previously mentioned but how about Dan Marjerle? He has done some pretty good things at Grand Canyon. I bet he would fit in with current admin. Plus, he's frigging Thunder Dan. They are currently 7 and 6 but no real bad losses (other than blow out loss at Texas)and played some pretty good teams fairly well (lost to Nevada by 8, Utah by 9 and Seton Hall by 7).

After the Manning debacle, I am OUT on former NBA guys. Let's a get a young, hungry guy with collegiate success who wants to make a name for himself.

After the Manning debacle, I am OUT on former NBA guys. Let's a get a young, hungry guy with collegiate success who wants to make a name for himself.
Yep, time for some former GYM RATS who know properly how to tie their sneakers.

Yep, time for some former GYM RATS who know properly how to tie their sneakers.

Ah, [Redacted] also had NBA experience and was anything but young and hungry. OUT! Dan Majerle makes absolutely no sense at all. No former NBA guys doesn't = GYM RAT.

I have been giving some thought as to how we got in this mess. While it is easy to say that Wellman is an idiot, a statement with which I agree, I believe there is more to the story. I assume that during the last year of Gaudio's tenure, the administration made a decision that it no longer wanted to try to compete for the "one and done's" against the likes of UK and Duke. The lack of success (academically and athletically) coming from the ATT class, and the debacle of the 3 amigos who went to OSU, likely paved the way for such a decision. It may have simply been the realization that attracting such athletes to Wake was hopeless since we were never going to lower our academic requirements and expectations. It might have also been influenced by Hatch and his entourage who seem to take seriously that Wake must be a truly collegiate school that educates the whole being, rather than a one-dimensional bball player.

I also think that Wellman was caught with his pants down twice when he whiffed on his first and second candidates during both searches, and then got nervous and shot his wad. His impetuous tendencies have also shown themselves with his constant tendency to unnecessarily commit to multi-year contract extensions. While I can partly understand how we got into this mess, it is unclear how we will get out of it if we have to deal with Wellman's continued presence and prior decisions baggage.

If that was Wellman’s reasoning then he’s even worse at his job than I thought.

At some point, it has to be obvious that Wellman is the issue. There's no reason why schools with far less basketball history than Wake (Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, Tennessee, VTech) are able to land competent coaches while Wake can't land anyone. Even Pitt has turned around almost instantly (not that I would advocate hiring Capel at Wake)

Your last paragraph contradicts the second. Wellman fucked up getting a more desirable coach after Dino. Before hiring Danny, Hatch fucked up another hire.

Back