• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

At some point, it has to be obvious that Wellman is the issue. There's no reason why schools with far less basketball history than Wake (Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, Tennessee, VTech) are able to land competent coaches while Wake can't land anyone. Even Pitt has turned around almost instantly (not that I would advocate hiring Capel at Wake)

To be fair, I'm sure we could have landed Pearl. But the stench on that guy is unbelievable. No way is MSD going to hire a coach that was the subject of a show cause order due to his violations.

At some point, it has to be obvious that Wellman is the issue. There's no reason why schools with far less basketball history than Wake (Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, Tennessee, VTech) are able to land competent coaches while Wake can't land anyone. Even Pitt has turned around almost instantly (not that I would advocate hiring Capel at Wake)

Wellman is the issue. However, we were never going to hire Pearl. He was under a "show cause" order. Buzz Williams was never available. He called VT. They didn't call him and he had a job at the time. There was no way to be involved with him. Capel's only decent years were having Blake Griffin.

Make no mistake, Wellman and Hatch should both be gone.

Pardon if he's already been discussed, but anyone know much about Casey Alexander? Apparently was a long-time assistant for a successful Belmont program and took Lipscomb (which, turns out is a school and not what you wake up to after a night of drooling) to the tourney last year (though with a middling profile) and has them currently in the KP top 50. Doesn't seem to have much zing, but maybe he's a Tony Bennett-lite?

Pardon if he's already been discussed, but anyone know much about Casey Alexander? Apparently was a long-time assistant for a successful Belmont program and took Lipscomb (which, turns out is a school and not what you wake up to after a night of drooling) to the tourney last year (though with a middling profile) and has them currently in the KP top 50. Doesn't seem to have much zing, but maybe he's a Tony Bennett-lite?

He took over at Stetson the year after they beat Wake Forest... So we'll never know how he would have done H2H against Bz, which is apparently really important in choosing our next coach.

Resume looks pretty good at first glance, but I know nothing about him. Looks like his best players are seniors this year (which helps to explain the big jump in KP vs. last year, when they also made the NCAAs).

Alexander took over at Stetson the year the Stetson game in Bz's first year.

Lipscomb plays at a very high tempo, but their defense is Lipscomb's primary strength. Unusual combination. Lipscomb played UNC in the NCAA tourney last year, and hung around for a little while. He really likes to use his bench. They play a regular rotation of 10+. Alexander is an interesting prospect.

I meant the year after. Sorry. The Stetson coach at the time was a Wake grad.

Northern Kentucky U's coach has done a helluva job. He's a NKY local and I think that may be a disadvantage to coaching somewhere other than NKY but he's an excellent coach.

That quote could have come from Danny Manning.

Except it means something when you are actually winning games.

Manning would've just said priority 1 is turning them into great men, priority 2 is winning games. Manning would miss all the detail in the middle and not understand how to get from point A to point B. Notice how Oats talks about teammates and team, and team work. Manning's post game pressers lack phrases like good teammates, teamwork, team defense. They tend to go more towards scouting reports, middle school basketball lessons like "we need to get low in a defensive stance and stay in front of our man", and "we just didn't make enough plays." Manning is just the worst coach ever.

I meant the year after. Sorry. The Stetson coach at the time was a Wake grad.

Derek Waugh was the coach at Stetson when they beat Wake. He played basketball at Furman and then went to law school at Wake. He played some pick up games with TD while he was there. He wanted to get out of coaching and became AD at Dalton State (Ga). He left that position a few years ago.

I haven't been paying attention lately. What's the current consensus, Oats, Grant or someone else?

I haven't been paying attention lately. What's the current consensus, Oats, Grant or someone else?

Not really. Maybe Oats.

And honestly, if we ever reach a consensus on something around here, that is usually a bad sign.

Aside from Manning needing to go, of course.

Back