• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

From where we are now, I don't see how Wes Miller would be a bad call.

If State can pluck Keats from UNC-W, we oughta take Miller while he is still there.

William John Donovan Jr.

I think that is who will replace Roy.

Same issue with Stevens. Agree with Freak07. You call Stevens and Donovan first, but as long as they both are enjoying their NBA gigs, I doubt either bolts. The Celtics are poised to be contenders for the foreseeable future. OKC has a nice roster and team now, and as long as they're able to keep that, not sure why you'd leave that to go back to college.

Given that they’ve brought Mack back on board, I’m sure UNC would love for Bill Guthridge to join him in the athletic offices. If he were still living of course.

Extensions are virtually toilet paper. And the further down the level of the team, the weaker they usually are to break.

Unless, if Jeff Goodman is correct, Ron Wellman offers them.

Good work BTW to charlottedeac1. Unfortunately your labors may be in vain.

Good work BTW to charlottedeac1. Unfortunately your labors may be in vain.

I am sad.

But I will persist after work today. Half because I hope the info is incorrect and half because it will make me forget about it for about an hour.

And thank you!

Even if the buyout rumor is true, that doesn't necessarily mean a change is off the table. However if the buyout # is true, Wellman's dumb ass should be required to chip in his entire 2018 salary for the buyout/new coach fund.

I updated it with Pat Kelsey. What are the other option you all want to read about tonight? Thad Matta? Kevin Willard?

Neither of them are coming here. Mid-majors only.

Is Travis Steele a legit option or probably not? Chris Mack made 1.66M at Xavier, can't imagine Steele is making that or more.

Also, has Xavier ever hired a bad basketball coach?

Last edited:
Russell Turner. Not my first choice but checks a lot the Wellman's boxes.

Actually an intriguing candidate. Definitely not top of the list but he has a more impressive resume than Wes Miller at a quick glance. I’ll add him in later to compare

Just giving an update: I'm probably going to get one done this afternoon and one tonight. I have also decided I'm not doing an analysis of Thad Matta's Kenpom because of how clearly good he was at OSU.

Sad thing is that anyone of us would and we'd likely have a better W-L record than the $18M man. :(

No what is really sad is the realization that there is s good chance that this 63 year old will be dead before we are ever again a perenial top-half ACC team.

I’d be more interested right now in who our interim candidates are.

I’d be more interested right now in who our interim candidates are.

If Manning got fired tomorrow, I'd like to see Childress get the interim tag. Maybe he could do well enough to get offered a job at some place like UNCA, App State or ETSU. He's got no chance of taking over here, but it would be fun to see him run a small program, hire some Wake guys that are coaching as assistants and see what he could do with it.

Back