• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Is Travis Steele a legit option or probably not? Chris Mack made 1.66M at Xavier, can't imagine Steele is making that or more.

Also, has Xavier ever hired a bad basketball coach?

Xavier is 20x the program Wake is right now and there's no way in hell Steele would leave Xavier for Wake. Therein lies another problem: how bad this job as become in relation to where it was 15 years ago (case in point, it was natural for Skip to take a step up and leave Xavier for Wake) There are other quality coaches out there, i.e. Ed Cooley at Providence, Hurley at ASU, and Anthony Grant at Dayton, who would be fools to leave those places for Wake right now. 20 years ago, they'd be fools for not leaving those schools. Wellman has not only crushed the day-to-day, year-to-year on court results but he's driven the profile of the job so far into the ground that it's virtually impossible to get a quality coach from programs that not all that long ago were far inferior to Wake Forest

If Manning got fired tomorrow, I'd like to see Childress get the interim tag. Maybe he could do well enough to get offered a job at some place like UNCA, App State or ETSU. He's got no chance of taking over here, but it would be fun to see him run a small program, hire some Wake guys that are coaching as assistants and see what he could do with it.

Agreed.

Also makes sense with Brandon on the roster. Chill and Nestor could stick around until the next hire.

Manning, Manning, and Woodberry can be let go mid season. Jones, too.

I do think at the end of the day the wake is still has all the fundamentals of a good program. I mean even Danny Manning was able to recruit top 50 talent here with dumpster fire seasons galore

I do think at the end of the day the wake is still has all the fundamentals of a good program. I mean even Danny Manning was able to recruit top 50 talent here with dumpster fire seasons galore

And zero coaching ability.

meh, good recruits are a necessity in this new era of the ACC. You can get good classes and still finish 12th in the league. We are so far behind at this point it's not funny and people who know basketball see that

meh, good recruits are a necessity in this new era of the ACC. You can get good classes and still finish 12th in the league. We are so far behind at this point it's not funny and people who know basketball see that

Because our coaching sucks. But the fundamentals of the program allows you to recruit good talent. We are in a basketball hotbed. When we are even competitive we get good attendance compared to other P5 programs.

Because our coaching sucks. But the fundamentals of the program allows you to recruit good talent. We are in a basketball hotbed. When we are even competitive we get good attendance compared to other P5 programs.

When is the Mit Shah Center due to be finished? That would have to help recruit a new coach and players

Until Wellman is gone WF basketball is dead. He killed it. A decent coach won't work for him. That's why Bzdelick and Manning were hired. Get rid of Wellman and the prospects improve dramatically.

Until Wellman is gone WF basketball is dead. He killed it. A decent coach won't work for him. That's why Bzdelick and Manning were hired. Get rid of Wellman and the prospects improve dramatically.

Is Clawson a decent coach?

Clawson is a good coach. The sport is football. The thread is about basketball coaching candidates. Apples and oranges.

Clawson is a good coach. The sport is football. The thread is about basketball coaching candidates. Apples and oranges.

Oh ok. So decent football coaches will work for him, but not decent basketball coaches. Mostly because we’ve hired two bad coaches, overpaid them, and kept them too long? That checks out.

It seems that Wellman has stuck his nose in basketball more than any other sport. Didn't he force Larue and Childress on [Redacted]? My impression was that was part of what led to [Redacted] being hired - he was one of the few that was OK with that arrangement. And I've assumed that Childress was part of the deal when Manning was hired. If so, there are probably a lot of coaches that aren't interested in a situation where they don't have full control over the hiring of assistants.

Oh ok. So decent football coaches will work for him, but not decent basketball coaches. Mostly because we’ve hired two bad coaches, overpaid them, and kept them too long? That checks out.

I think decent basketball coaches are less likely to work for him because of how he handled Dino Gaudio. He has a bad reputation amongst a large group of college basketball coaches, whereas he doesn't have that reputation amongst college football coaches (or in other sports). I think our chances of getting a great basketball coach would be much higher without Wellman than with him.

can we add Bob Richey?

that son of a bitch has Furman RANKED

not inspiring but John Brannen is another name to keep tabs on

Steve Forbes at ETSU is a good ass coach but had some recruiting scandal stuff

It shouldnt be hard to get a good coach to come to Wake. The question is can Wellman make the right hire.

Back