• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

can we add Bob Richey?

that son of a bitch has Furman RANKED
With a player from Mt Airy who Manning didn’t look at (Clay Mounce) who dunked at the buzzer to win one game and played a big role in the win over Nova.

I like Frank Martin. He gets very little support from the S Car fan base, because they are only concerned with football and baseball. He built a winner at K-State and led the Gamecocks to the Final Four, with a lot less talent than WF. He has no problem calling out lazy players or lack of effort. I’ve met and talked to him at a few charity events and he is a classy guy. I just hate the fan base is so unconcerned with basketball and doesn’t support his team.

I like Frank Martin. He gets very little support from the S Car fan base, because they are only concerned with football and baseball. He built a winner at K-State and led the Gamecocks to the Final Four, with a lot less talent than WF. He has no problem calling out lazy players or lack of effort. I’ve met and talked to him at a few charity events and he is a classy guy. I just hate the fan base is so unconcerned with basketball and doesn’t support his team.

They are 4-4.

Dude, getting to that final four was major luck and surely had nothing to do with Frank Martin. If it had, he would have been able to bring in some major talent following it instead of the current goon squad that comes to Columbia from 3rd world countries. No one wants to play a style of basketball where defense comes first thus the best HS players in SC are leaving state in droves or going to Clemson. Frank could barely even get a meeting with Zion. They flew across the country the other night just to get waxed by mighty Wyoming and lost at home to Wofford by 20.

Bringing big Frank to Wake would set the program back even further.

The trip to Wyoming was a deal he made with Larry Shyatt. Martin is at least animated, and not an emotionless shell. I don’t believe he would be worse than DM or Bzz

Are coaching contracts pretty much straight cash? Or are there instances of an incentive-laden contract that focuses on performance? I.E. your base salary is X, but incremental bonuses on record improvement, transfer %, graduation %, post-season appearances, postseason performance (including ACCT). Or is that just not a thing in college bball?

We can just stop all this potential coaching possibility nonsense now. Rumor has it Ronnie just extended Danny another 6 years for a total 12 year contract due to the resounding pummeling we gave the 300+ RPI 49ers.

Ronnie is just a step ahead of everyone else here and Maestro Manning is here to stay so just let it go.

Are coaching contracts pretty much straight cash? Or are there instances of an incentive-laden contract that focuses on performance? I.E. your base salary is X, but incremental bonuses on record improvement, transfer %, graduation %, post-season appearances, postseason performance (including ACCT). Or is that just not a thing in college bball?

Most are incentive-laden contracts. Though not to the degree of an NFL player contract. Coaches have high base salaries but still have room to earn more based on performance.

Updated with Ryan Odom. I've been on a work trip so haven't had time but should have time tomorrow to add a couple options i.e. Lavall Jordan, and I'll check through the thread for other requests.

Some coaches do have certain kinds of incentives, such as the ones you mentioned. Very few people know how Danny's contract is structured, whether it is all cash or contains some incentive clauses.

All the comments about it are based on info from one source. He is usually reliable, but considering how tight Wake is with information, take it with some salt.

Dude, getting to that final four was major luck and surely had nothing to do with Frank Martin. If it had, he would have been able to bring in some major talent following it instead of the current goon squad that comes to Columbia from 3rd world countries. No one wants to play a style of basketball where defense comes first thus the best HS players in SC are leaving state in droves or going to Clemson. Frank could barely even get a meeting with Zion. They flew across the country the other night just to get waxed by mighty Wyoming and lost at home to Wofford by 20.

Bringing big Frank to Wake would set the program back even further.

He's probably not the answer at Wake, but let's dial that back a bit.

Outside of his two years at Scar, he has never had a team finish worse than 80th in KP.

Updated with Ryan Odom. I've been on a work trip so haven't had time but should have time tomorrow to add a couple options i.e. Lavall Jordan, and I'll check through the thread for other requests.

Odom's time at VT was with Greenburg. Those teams were well-coached but not overly talented so I am not overly confident in Odom's recruiting chops. Blacksburg is a tough place to recruit to so maybe that staff did as well as could be expected.

UMBC was the second luckiest team in the country last year too per Kenpom. Doesn't seem their play matched their results.

Again, no thanks to lazy hires of dudes who have ties to the program

Back