• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Unlike Rich Boy Wes.

They should rename the Miller Center the Mike Young Center. Because he's Wes' daddy

1) You’re a broke dumbass for a reason. Look, some people start on 2nd base. But by the time you’re 40 you don’t call people “rich boys”. If you haven’t passed all the spoiled rich kids by now...that’s on you.

2) Wofford is clearly better than UNCG in 2019. Their defense is amazing and Fletcher is a beast. But Wes’ teams were 5-0 against them before that so slow you’re roll.

3) Your post is absolutely a factor in whether Wes takes our job. The fact is no one can take anything away from what Wes accomplished. He started as a mere Elon assistant after a NC career as a Carolina walk on. Daddy’s money didn’t do this. Dad’s character certainly did. He knows full well he won’t have to hear from broke morons like you if he takes the GW, Richmond or stays at UNCG on his way up.

To be clear, if he goes to Wake, he opens himself up to this attack. Showing him that now with posts like this certainly don’t help.

If you are over 35/40/45 and you call someone a “rich boy” it’s because you didn’t succeed. I get it in college. Laugh at the rich kids. But not now. Why didn’t you make it yourself at this point? Grow up and stop hurting us because that is what your post does.

To be clear, if he goes to Wake, he opens himself up to this attack. Showing him that now with posts like this certainly don’t help.

Based on our extreme failures the past 2 hires, anyone that isn't a home run is going to face a lot of scrutiny.

Based on our extreme failures the past 2 hires, anyone that isn't a home run is going to face a lot of scrutiny.

But shouldn’t based on a personal attack because his father is an alum and donor. Junk like that is why we stink. Look, when we were 20 years old would I have bet against Wes because he was raised in wealth? Of course. The rich kids of that era have almost universally been lapped by the self-made. Not Wes. He’s earned it. He is one of the few to come from that and be so hungry, so charismatic & humble, & so successful in a business that has nothing to do with his fathers business.

We should tip our hat to Wes and his Dad. It’s rare indeed for a youngster to overcome the shackles of wealth. Instead, WF alums like this preview a meritless attack because of their own failures.

I guess we hope Kelsey or Turner takes the job.

But shouldn’t based on a personal attack because his father is an alum and donor. Junk like that is why we stink. Look, when we were 20 years old would I have bet against Wes because he was raised in wealth? Of course. The rich kids of that era have almost universally been lapped by the self-made. Not Wes. He’s earned it. He is one of the few to come from that and be so hungry, so charismatic & humble, & so successful in a business that has nothing to do with his fathers business.

We should tip our hat to Wes and his Dad. It’s rare indeed for a youngster to overcome the shackles of wealth. Instead, WF alums like this preview a meritless attack because of their own failures.

I guess we hope Kelsey or Turner takes the job.

Agree - should not be a personal attack or have anything to do with his dad being a rich alum; I will agree with posters questioning his professional credentials, not saying he wouldn't be good, just saying he hasn't done a lot to warrant this job (nor did Bzdickhead or dipshitdanny)
Disagree - that's not why we stink Ron Wellman is why we stink

DR, Wes was an assistant at Elon under Nestor. Are you saying his Wake connections didn’t play a role?

Sure, Wes was a snot nosed kid running around Wake games at 13 with the same competitive fire he has today. Ernie saw what many of us saw as then worked his way into an amazing walk on with grit. I was impressed too. Wake gave him the chance to be seen as it did for me as well and for many of you.

But life has scoreboards too. And while the fact that we all went to Wake gave us a little boost in terms of the chance to impress folks, some thrived, many “rich kids” went backwards.

To say Wes is where he is today because he received preferential treatment is (1) false (2) dumb & (3) reflects horrifically on WF alums.

Maybe Wofford’s coach should be in consideration for the Wake job.

DR- I was at the game last night and UNCG was as prepared as we were for UNC. Wofford took over early on Wes. So Wes comes down to sc and both Furman and Wofford blow his doors off and you still advocate for him to be our coach. Damn are you effing blind. He is so not the man

DR- I was at the game last night and UNCG was as prepared as we were for UNC. Wofford took over early on Wes. So Wes comes down to sc and both Furman and Wofford blow his doors off and you still advocate for him to be our coach. Damn are you effing blind. He is so not the man

You are joking right? I was at the game as well. What an amazing atmosphere. Senior night for one of the So Con’s all-time greats. Wes did all he could to keep them in the game. Francis Alonso couldn’t hit squat. G was still much in the game at the half.

UNCG has had quite a run but no doubt Wofford at least in Jan & Feb of 2019 is a much better team talent and shooting wise. Wes’ team has been better than them for the last few years.

Who is your choice for our next coach? I went on record in 2009 and said Miller. I went on record again in 2014 and said Miller, Wojo, Kelsey. Everyone here laughed and through daggers based on a single game here or there. Huge mistake for Wake. My choices now are Miller, Kelsey, Turner. Let’s here yours.

My favorite text yesterday said “You know really Hatch, Wellman, & Manning are all pretentious douches who don’t care about winning. They are perfect for Wake. They fit the alums so well. Quit bitching about it. You’ve gotten rich taking advantage of those morons.”

The fact that UNCG lost to Wofford twice in Alfonso's senior year? No big deal.

The fact that UNCG lost to Wofford twice by 30 points each time in Alfonso's senior year? Concerning. Not disqualifying but concerning.

Mike Rhoades at VCU looks worth a look. Kind of a Clawson like rise up the basketball ladder.

Wes Miller just isn't a very strong candidate. Probably wouldn't crack my top 10. Enough already. Oats, Matta, Richey, Otzelberger, Rhoades. That's it, that's the list. Order of those guys can be debated, but I'll be pretty disappointed if our next coach isn't one of those 5 names.

Start by offering Matta/Prohm/Cronin at $3mil a year
If they say no, offer Oats/Musselman at $2.5mil a year
If they say no, offer Grant/TJ/Wes at $1.5 mil a year
If you get 8 no answers, set Wellman's body on fire on the quad and hope the sacrifice pleases the basketball gods.

DR, why does Oats never make your list? He seems like such an obvious choice and doesn’t require any dream scenario to secure him.

I feel like Patrick Beilein would probably take us offering as a sign that bigger things are coming and turn us down. That's how bad the state of our program is right now.

Steve Forbes from ETSU should get a look. He was Gregg Marshall's top assistant when Wichita State was at their peak, and he has won 20+ games at ETSU each of his 4 years. He was a Bruce Pearl assistant at Tennessee, but not aware of any taint on Forbes from his time under Pearl.

Steve Forbes from ETSU should get a look. He was Gregg Marshall's top assistant when Wichita State was at their peak, and he has won 20+ games at ETSU each of his 4 years. He was a Bruce Pearl assistant at Tennessee, but not aware of any taint on Forbes from his time under Pearl.

Forbes had a 1 year show-cause after Tennessee. He won't be considered.

Bobby Hurley built Buffalo. Oats has no ties to the ACC. We are a stepping stone job for him.

Back