• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

I think after Grobe put Wellman over a barrel (btw, Grobe was making close to $3M 10 years and like 4 TV deals ago...), Wellman might have changed his philosophy to more proactively offer contract extensions. I think we saw that with both Clawson and Manning.

Guys this is not even remotely true. Wellman is a jerk and a fool but not a total blithering idiot. Manning would have to make 3 mil per year and that is certainly NOT the case, nor has it ever been, to pay a coach that amount at Wake. If this were true we would have had a MUCH better coach already instead of the Bezzledick and Manning experiments

or...

Guys this is not even remotely true. Wellman is a jerk and a fool but not a total blithering idiot. Manning would have to make 3 mil per year and that is certainly NOT the case, nor has it ever been, to pay a coach that amount at Wake. If this were true we would have had a MUCH better coach already instead of the Bezzledick and Manning experiments

While I hope you are right, I have seen no evidence that Wellman is not a complete moron.

ECU fired AD and Montgomery. UNC fired Fedora. USC fired Helton. Texas Tech fired Kingbury. Etc etc. NOTHING happens at WFU. NOTHING! After 10 years! I’m out.

Yep. Those guys were fired for underperforming expectations. They were not the complete and total disasters that Wake has had.

You either fix a problem or let it fester out of control. Wake is run by guys who do not like rocking the boat.

While this is true. I still enjoy the back in my day kids still played real basketball, and defense was still defense. Nowadays all these damn kids want to do is slam dunk, nobody is out there teaching the finer points of the mid range bank shot, get off my damn lawn!! Takes so much more.

You can go ahead and polish off these creamy balls too.

images

That's well said, liveordie. Danny Manning already won a national championship. He's not as hungry to win one as most coaches would be.

how about at least being hungry enough to beat Houston Baptist at home or finishing higher than 13th in the league? That'd be a start. Wellman never ceases to amaze me with the absolute stoic, lifeless coaches he hires - Clawson being a notable and welcome exception. I'm still struggling to believe the Goodman report is actually true. If so, Ron Wellman should be terminated immediately with cause for financial harm to the University.

ECU fired AD and Montgomery. UNC fired Fedora. USC fired Helton. Texas Tech fired Kingbury. Etc etc. NOTHING happens at WFU. NOTHING! After 10 years! I’m out.

Not really important here, but Helton was retained, much to the ire of many USC fans/boosters.

This was from a live chat with Seth Davis today:

Seth Davis
3h ago
@Rob B. I'm assuming you guys saw the story on Wake by CL Brown this week. There's gonna be a lot of focus on Manning this year, but the guy lost two players who declared for the NBA draft, were NOT invited to the combine, and still left. That is unusual. The real focus needs to be on the AD Ron Wellman. Nice guy, but also the guy who fired Dino Gaudio for not meeting the program standards after he went to the NCAA tourney. He has never answered for that decision, and the program has never recovered.

If this is true. Wellman should have to pay the University the 18 million. Payroll deduction

This was from a live chat with Seth Davis today:

Seth Davis
3h ago
@Rob B. I'm assuming you guys saw the story on Wake by CL Brown this week. There's gonna be a lot of focus on Manning this year, but the guy lost two players who declared for the NBA draft, were NOT invited to the combine, and still left. That is unusual. The real focus needs to be on the AD Ron Wellman. Nice guy, but also the guy who fired Dino Gaudio for not meeting the program standards after he went to the NCAA tourney. He has never answered for that decision, and the program has never recovered.

historically competitive was his answer, and in redacted and DM was got ours

Hatch is satisfied, so everything is cool

Fwiw, I did ask Wellman about this yesterday.

Also, not sure if you guys caught the comments on Manning by C.L. Brown from The Athletic on the radio. Kind of recapped things here
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...gs-contract-status-at-Wake-Forest--125563578/

“This is going to sound crazy, probably, to some people who are ready to pull the trigger and move on from the Danny Manning era, but I feel like they are so close,” Brown said during the show to Graham. “I feel like Danny Manning is close to hitting a home run in a recruiting class. He going after more top-end recruits than they have in the past, in my opinion, and he’s been on some of these players’ final lists. Obviously part of the problem is that not enough of those guys have chosen Wake Forest that could have really given them a talent boost.”

Seriously??

how about at least being hungry enough to beat Houston Baptist at home or finishing higher than 13th in the league? That'd be a start. Wellman never ceases to amaze me with the absolute stoic, lifeless coaches he hires - Clawson being a notable and welcome exception. I'm still struggling to believe the Goodman report is actually true. If so, Ron Wellman should be terminated immediately with cause for financial harm to the University.

If the contract is true, Wellman should be forced to pay back every penny with his own money. If he is unable to do so, he should do the honorable thing and fall on his sword, literally.

“This is going to sound crazy, probably, to some people who are ready to pull the trigger and move on from the Danny Manning era, but I feel like they are so close,” Brown said during the show to Graham. “I feel like Danny Manning is close to hitting a home run in a recruiting class. He going after more top-end recruits than they have in the past, in my opinion, and he’s been on some of these players’ final lists. Obviously part of the problem is that not enough of those guys have chosen Wake Forest that could have really given them a talent boost.”

Seriously??

It's like he did not realize Manning had a near lottery pick and likely has another playing for him. Recruiting is not the reason for the 11 win seasons.

Seems like a couple people in the media werel Big Daddy Manning fans when he played in college and don't want to admit what's pretty obvious that he just is not a good college basketball coach

Can you imagine the brick Wellman shit when news of this $18M extension (true or not) hit? And now a 13 page thread entitled "18 million guaranteed" at the top of the Wake sports message board. That's the only thing about this situation that makes me laugh.

Given how much Ron loves to control the message, I can't imagine this has been a fun week for him.

And if the number were wildly off, one would assume he would flatly deny it, but he certainly did not do that

Back