• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

Have you asked Wellman this yet?

"You fired Dino Gaudio due to what you described as a lack of postseason success. Given the program has not won an NCAA Tournament game since Gaudio's firing and has only been to one NCAA Tournament since then, how would you assess your own decision-making in the last 9 years?"

Word-for-word, please.

Les, you will forever be a Wake legend if you do us this one favor.

You don't make this easy. All I know is that your board shows up as Deacon Sports Club in my bookmarks.

Right back at ya, Racer!

The site is Demon Deacon Digest, though there is a message board on site with the name Deacon Sports Club. So I get what you're saying.

I'll definitely keep the sentiment of that question in mind as time rolls on.

Where do you see this team's record at the end of the non-conference slate?

Right back at ya, Racer!

The site is Demon Deacon Digest, though there is a message board on site with the name Deacon Sports Club. So I get what you're saying.

I'll definitely keep the sentiment of that question in mind as time rolls on.

Does it really matter when you have 18 losses on the docket for the rest of the season?

While it wouldn’t matter if he was a brilliant strategist, a proficient tactician, an expert motivator, a ridiculous recruiter, or any other coaching skill you can name - and he used those skills to win games - I do think we can say he doesn’t seem to possess competitive fire. We would have seen it emerge in some form by now.

And since he doesn’t have those other discernible coaching skills, it does matter that he either doesn’t have a competitive fire, or doesn’t show/use it.

God people have some really dumb fucking takes on this board. Danny Manning may be a horrendous college basketball coach but he was a legendary All-American player and had an extended NBA career. To say he has no competitive fire is beyond idiotic.

God people have some really dumb fucking takes on this board. Danny Manning may be a horrendous college basketball coach but he was a legendary All-American player and had an extended NBA career. To say he has no competitive fire is beyond idiotic.

In fairness, I don't think anyone is making that claim re: his career.

In fairness, I don't think anyone is making that claim re: his career.

While it wouldn’t matter if he was a brilliant strategist, a proficient tactician, an expert motivator, a ridiculous recruiter, or any other coaching skill you can name - and he used those skills to win games - I do think we can say he doesn’t seem to possess competitive fire. We would have seen it emerge in some form by now.

And since he doesn’t have those other discernible coaching skills, it does matter that he either doesn’t have a competitive fire, or doesn’t show/use it.

That’s exactly what this post is saying unless I can no longer read.

We are talking about has. You’re talking about had.

Part of the argument is that he doesn’t have that fire specifically because of his success.

No. It's not. It's written in what's called present-tense. Let's have a look....

"I do think we can say he doesn’t seem to possess competitive fire. We would have seen it emerge in some form by now."

The "doesn't seem to possess" would indicate present-tense. Let's contrast that with "I do think he didn't seem to possess a competitive fire".

See the difference there?

Please, tell me what coach you are watching on the sideline during Wake games the last few years...

It’s idiotic to watch a coach on our bench who in his fifth year that often seems disengaged and disinterested and carries that same demeanor into press conferences, etc and not have questions about his competitive fire as a coach. Just because he was a great player doesn’t mean he carries that same level of fire and desire to the bench as a coach. It’s pretty dumb to just assume that.

I had us at 12 total wins, 8 OOC in the preseason poll, but I was counting Houston Baptist as a win. I still think we'll win some games and get to 7 before conference play. We may even pull out a win at Richmond now that they are down some players, but I'm surprised to find that even I may have been optimistic about this team.

Last edited:
I had us at 12 total wins, 8 OOC in the preseason poll, but I was counting Houston Baptist as a win. I still think we'll win some games and get to 7 before conference play. We may even pull out a win at Richmond now that they are down some players, but I'm surprised to find that even I may have been optimistic about this team.

I too was overly optimistic. I had thought 13 before the season started, but now I think 9 or 10 total wins.

Still think we are looking at 5-7 OOC with 0 conference wins. If we get to 8 wins, I’ll be surprised. Anything over 10 and we might extend DM again.

Back