• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

If this is true, it's up there with JaMarcus Russell, Josh Hamilton and Jon Gruden as the worst sports contract.

The Mets pay Bobby Bonilla $1.19 million each year and will be doing so thru 2035.

Last edited:
– Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman signed Danny Manning to a six-year extension that runs through 2024-25 nearly a year ago to the day. A source told me that the deal is fully guaranteed, meaning that Wake is on the hook for somewhere in the neighborhood of $18 million if it makes a move to let go of Manning. The first couple of years, and a 24-39 mark, were on the previous regime. But after a 19-14 record and an NCAA tourney bid in 2016-17, Wake went 11-20 last season and has started out 4-2 this year with a loss this past weekend to Houston Baptist.

https://watchstadium.com/news/bol-b...e-from-this-week-in-college-hoops-11-28-2018/

So we signed Manning to a 6 year, $18 million deal after making the freaking First Four.

Something has to be missing here. I believe 6 years at 18 mil, but its probably only fully guaranteed for 3 or 4 years. There is no way Wellman gave DM a fully guaranteed, 6 year contract.

understatement coming
wellman should be fired for being so fucking stupid

Something has to be missing here. I believe 6 years at 18 mil, but its probably only fully guaranteed for 3 or 4 years. There is no way Wellman gave DM a fully guaranteed, 6 year contract.

That's possible. But a fully guaranteed contract for 3-4 year is still a horrible deal.

There is no way Wellman gave DM a fully guaranteed, 6 year contract.

"There is no way Wellman hired Jeff [Redacted]."

"There is no way Wellman retained Jeff [Redacted]."

"There is no way Wellman defended Jeff [Redacted] and attended a press conference in his place."

For purposes of a new coach, you don't need to fund Manning's buyout, you just need to raise the 8 or 9 million for the next coach. Manning keeps getting his $15 million after this season as planned, but the big donors step up for 8 or 9 million to get rid of him. 8-9<$15 million.

For purposes of a new coach, you don't need to fund Manning's buyout, you just need to raise the 8 or 9 million for the next coach. Manning keeps getting his $15 million after this season as planned, but the big donors step up for 8 or 9 million to get rid of him. 8-9<$15 million.

Sure, but it means any shot at hiring an experienced and established coach with success at high levels is out of the window.

Sure, but it means any shot at hiring an experienced and established coach with success at high levels is out of the window.

I already thought that anyway. For those of you who are mad about this, would the admins be OK with me posting Ron Wellman's home address, home phone#, driving route to work, work #, work e-mail, etc.? A crafty person could find all this information out legally. I think he is due to hear some complaints.

This is very close to criminal abuse of his fiduciary responsibility though I’m sure the BOT approved the contract.

I give up. Why he ever got an extension, regardless of what the terms are/were is beyond me.

This just gets better and better. I’m glad I have this board of brothers with whom to commiserate.

Maybe the collective outrage of the fan base at this news will be so great that RW has to come out and clarify. Then we will have some certainty. Or he could just ignore us and go about business as usual like he’s done for the last ten years.

has Manning's name ever been associated with a coaching search since he started at Wake?

Back