• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

https://mytakeonwhatever.com/2018/11/28/wake-a-program-in-exile/

"It would matter little that he has yet to answer (that I’ve heard) any question asked him with any specificity or detail...

For some reason, I can't edit the quoted post

"in Manning’s fifth season as head coach his team is losing at home to one of the worst teams in all of college basketball, Houston Baptist. What matters even more is that in Manning’s fifth season as head coach, his team is extended into the final minute to beat another of the worst teams in college basketball, Western Carolina...

Asked if he was surprised to to find himself in a game late after leading 21-3 early, Manning’s answer was “that’s college basketball.’’

Well that’s not college basketball as played at SMU, which beat Western Carolina by 33. That’s not college basketball as played by Jacksonville State, which beat Western Carolina by 31. That’s not college basketball as played at Arizona, which beat Houston Baptist by 30. That’s not college basketball as played at Wisconsin, which beat Houston Baptist by 37.

But it is college basketball as played at Wake in Danny Manning’s fifth season as head coach."

There is a reason this news has surfaced. It is not by chance. The terms of the contract are so bad they are bound to provoke a reaction. The reaction will need to be addressed. Hoopla might be right. There could be major infighting regarding the basketball program and this leak is designed to shed light on the matter.
As historically stingy as we've been about paying coaches, I find it really hard to believe these terms are real. But I've always believed decisions have been made for reasons other than what's best for bball, so who knows. Lets hope that it isn't true but was floated to create pressure on the people making these decisions, which goes beyond Wellman. I'd love to know who's really calling the shots.

A lasting memory of zipping around in my Jag convertible in the Northern Neck of Virginia was coming across several turkey buzzards picking at the carcass of a road-kill skunk. The smell was incredible, unforgetable, even after all these years the worst smell I can ever recall.

By the way, what's the difference between a vulture and a buzzard?

It is not a simple distinction. Vulture is the more accepted name for carrion eaters. In North/south America they are actually related to storks but in Asia, Europe and Africa, vultures are related to birds of prey, like Hawks. In Europe there is a group of hawks called Buzzards, like the “common buzzard” etc, which are closely related to red tail hawks. People have mistakenly transferred the name for those hawks, buzzards, in Europe to North America and applied it to vultures.

this is the kind of shit that will piss even canadians off. whaat the fuck? how is this allowed. can Chris Paul and Tim team up and save their school????

I can just picture Collins in a cabin in the mountains banging out his manifestos on the BS coming out of the athletic department. I’m sure Premier Ron was a jackass to him multiple times and he’s enjoying every moment of the payback.

Hewitt did go to a Final 4 (and won a game there)

But he was 9-7 in the ACC that year, which was his only winning season of 11 in the ACC. And he had replaced Cremins, so GT was accustomed to better than that.

I don’t know whether the buyout of Hewitt’s contract limited GT and forced them to hire Gregory. I just know other than for 3 weeks in one season, they’ve been worse than their fan base has expected for 20 years now.
We kicked their ass in the Joel that season, and the whole arena was chanting NIT NIT NIT at the jackets since that’s where it looked liked they were heading...... ooooooops

The real kicker of this deal was that it was signed AFTER our 1-4 start to the season last year with losses to Georgis Southern, Drake, Liberty and Houston. Fuck Wellman and his pizza face grin.

We kicked their ass in the Joel that season, and the whole arena was chanting NIT NIT NIT at the jackets since that’s where it looked liked they were heading...... ooooooops

I was there, the team we beat that night was not the same team that made the Final Four. One of those situations where the adrenaline of narrowly getting into the dance woke up a sleeping giant. When that team was clicking it was damn good!

This is clearly not true people — get a grip.

anyone notice buzzdick was fired after his best season? 17-16 with wins over Duke and UNC? but you fire him and hire manning. manning goes 13-19, 11-20 and finally 19-14 and gets an extension. he then follows that up with another 11-20 stellar season. wtf is wellman doing?
after four seasons buzzdick was 51-76. manning was 54-73. how do you fire one and extend the other???

“So Wellman, the man most responsible for the demise of a once-proud basketball program, was prescient enough in another sport to hire the school’s two best football coaches since the advent of the ACC in 1953. How could one man get it so wrong, twice in a row, in one sport, and so right, twice in a row, in another?”

Best available coach in Ohio.

Back