• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeffrey Epstein

You all may be right, but pardoning a pedophile for sex trafficking of minors seems like a bridge too far.

I don't know what is too far for these people.

Majority Leaders have opposed nominees for any number of reasons and kept them from being voted on. McConnell could have and should have stopped this nomination.

On the face of it, Acosta was 1 of the more qualified Trump appointees. He was in the Bush justice department and had an otherwise okay record as a fed prosecutor. It's rare for a majority leader to vote against his party's president's appointees. Normally, they just counsel the president when certain nominees are in jeopardy and should be withdrawn. Trump has repeatedly shown he hasn't wanted to hear anything from McConnell. Look, I put Garland and any potential RBG replacement in the next year directly on McConnell. But Acosta is on Trump.

On the face of it, Acosta was 1 of the more qualified Trump appointees. He was in the Bush justice department and had an otherwise okay record as a fed prosecutor. It's rare for a majority leader to vote against his party's president's appointees. Normally, they just counsel the president when certain nominees are in jeopardy and should be withdrawn. Trump has repeatedly shown he hasn't wanted to hear anything from McConnell. Look, I put Garland and any potential RBG replacement in the next year directly on McConnell. But Acosta is on Trump.

There was open knowledge of Acosta's actions. McConnell's job is "advise and consent".

Yes, it was 80 +/-% on Trump, but the remainder is on McConnell for abdicating his constitutional duty.

We already have audio of him talking about grabbing women by the pussy and saying he liked hosting beauty pageants so he could go in the dressing room and see naked girls. I'm sure Franklin Graham, Falwell Jr. and Sean Hannity will continue to step up and defend him. Add to that, I'm sure "news" organizations like Fox and One America will under report any such stories. I mean, Chris Wallace will mention it and be professionally outraged, but the only Epstein story that'll appear on Fox and Friends will be the ones that relate to Bubba.

Yep. And little old ladies in MAGA hats will be stunned when Justin Amash tells them Trump was involved in this Epstein scandal.

There was open knowledge of Acosta's actions. McConnell's job is "advise and consent".

Yes, it was 80 +/-% on Trump, but the remainder is on McConnell for abdicating his constitutional duty.

And Trump wanted no part of his advice. Trump's had a number of cabinet appointees who have been scarier than Acosta, and some of them in much more crucial positions - Pompeo, Zinke, Barr, Carson, DeVos, Price, Pruitt, Bolton and Navarro to name a handful. How can you reasonably expect a majority leader of the president's party to oppose half of his president's cabinet nominees? If you had an extremist Dem as president, I don't see Schumer opposing many such nominees. Just not the way it works. Save your McConnell hatred for when RBG dies before next November.

Many nominations were withdrawn. It has happened ten times from Clinton through Obama due to information the Senate or public found during the process. Letting a serial pedophile and sex trafficker off with a slap on the wrist is certainly more serious than Zoe Baird or Linda Chavez having hired undocumented nannies or Bill Richardson's false corruption charges.

There's plenty of recent precedent for McConnell to say no.

If he gets bail, he’s disappearing.

Many nominations were withdrawn. It has happened ten times from Clinton through Obama due to information the Senate or public found during the process. Letting a serial pedophile and sex trafficker off with a slap on the wrist is certainly more serious than Zoe Baird or Linda Chavez having hired undocumented nannies or Bill Richardson's false corruption charges.

There's plenty of recent precedent for McConnell to say no.

Unlike other presidents, Trump doesn't withdraw. He's like Tracy Morgan that way.

Unlike other presidents, Trump doesn't withdraw. He's like Tracy Morgan that way.

And McConnell can deny the vote. Like he did twice under Trump:

"On February 15, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell informed the Trump administration that Puzder did not have the votes required to be confirmed."

"Current and former employees on the White House Medical Unit accused Jackson of creating a hostile work environment, excessively drinking on the job, and improperly dispensing medication Amid these reports, the U.S. Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs postponed Jackson's confirmation hearings on April 23. Jackson withdrew his nomination on April 26."

may not matter in rural south, like Alabama.

Why? Who are these mythical conservatives who would stand up against Trump?

It wasn’t for our Secretary of Labor.

I do not think we have enough information to really asses Acosta right now. If they did not have any witness willing to cooperate, than getting a state level guilty plea might have looked okay at the time. Now the conditions of his confinement were totally unacceptable, but that may have been a state decision, and probably was.

Looks like Jim Comey’s daughter is on the SDNY prosecution team.

Deep State!

I do not think we have enough information to really asses Acosta right now. If they did not have any witness willing to cooperate, than getting a state level guilty plea might have looked okay at the time. Now the conditions of his confinement were totally unacceptable, but that may have been a state decision, and probably was.

It was unacceptable then and it’s unacceptable now. There are two legal systems in this country. Naivety isn’t an excuse.

In Catamount's and Trump's world, it's only "serious pedophelia" if the 12yos being fucked are supermodels.

It’s pretty shitty of you to imply I condone this shit RJ. Also it was totally unprovoked, mister I only punch first. I remember you absolutely losing your shit when a similar thing was directed towards you.

Have you read any of the reporting from the Miami Herald?

Despite substantial physical evidence and multiple witnesses backing up the girls’ stories, the secret deal allowed Epstein to enter guilty pleas to two felony prostitution charges. Epstein admitted to committing only one offense against one underage girl, who was labeled a prostitute, even though she was 14, which is well under the age of consent — 18 in Florida.

“Thank you for the commitment you made to me during our Oct. 12 meeting,’’ [Epstein's lawyer] Lefkowitz wrote in a letter to Acosta after their breakfast meeting in West Palm Beach. He added that he was hopeful that Acosta would abide by a promise to keep the deal confidential.

“You ... assured me that your office would not ... contact any of the identified individuals, potential witnesses or potential civil claimants and the respective counsel in this matter,’’ Lefkowitz wrote.

In email after email, Acosta and the lead federal prosecutor, A. Marie Villafaña, acquiesced to Epstein’s legal team’s demands, which often focused on ways to limit the scandal by shutting out his victims and the media, including suggesting that the charges be filed in Miami, instead of Palm Beach, where Epstein’s victims lived.

“On an ‘avoid the press’ note ... I can file the charge in district court in Miami which will hopefully cut the press coverage significantly. Do you want to check that out?’’ Villafaña wrote to Lefkowitz in a September 2007 email.

Federal prosecutors identified 36 underage victims, but none of those victims appeared at his sentencing on June 30, 2008, in state court in Palm Beach County. Most of them heard about it on the news — and even then they didn’t understand what had happened to the federal probe that they’d been assured was ongoing.

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

It’s pretty shitty of you to imply I condone this shit RJ. Also it was totally unprovoked, mister I only punch first. I remember you absolutely losing your shit when a similar thing was directed towards you.

You used this term, " If Trump is implicated in serious pedophilia charges"

All pedophilia is serious. It doesn't need the adjective.

The point of my post was to show how absurd your initial post was.

Tobacco Road got the tone of my obviously sarcastic post and stated:

"Actually, supermodel is an excuse. I mean, who is gonna turn that down, amirite?"

Rather than being upset with me, you should look at your post and how many times you do "whatabout" posts.

Wrong is wrong without any adjectives or whatabout someone else did.

I have read much of it, yes. What I do not know though is if these victims were willing to testify to what they have told the Herald after non-prosecution agreement was done. If they were not willing to testify, and I can certainly understand why they may not want to, the prosecution would have a weaker case. I am not trying to put myself in a position of defending Acosta, I would just like more information about the circumstances at the time the decision was made.

ETA: I understand Acosta's office broke the law in not informing the victims, which is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
Back