• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy admits his coaching sucks, how long until Danny does?

Williams knows he's built up enough equity and reputation that when he denigrates his own coaching it comes across as cute, honorable, and folksy. He is well aware that people will tend to think that he knows it isn't really his fault, but that he's so awesome that he is taking the blame anyway so as to not make his players look bad. Oldest trick in the book for coaches in his position.

I'd rather have a coach take the blame for a poor performance rather than blame the players.
Ultimately, it's the coach's responsibility.

Other than when he said he needed to coach better in the press conference after the WCU game? :squint:

He did, for the first time in 5 seasons, but it was brief and insincere as if he was told to say it. He doesn't honestly believe it, unlike other coaches who sincerely want to get better after a loss and believe the blame should be put on the coaches.

He did, for the first time in 5 seasons, but it was brief and insincere as if he was told to say it. He doesn't honestly believe it, unlike other coaches who sincerely want to get better after a loss and believe the blame should be put on the coaches.

Roy Williams isn’t exactly known for his sincerity. Seems like a silly thing to get bent out of shape about. If we lost more games, but he was sincerely sorry about it, would you honestly feel better?

Roy Williams isn’t exactly known for his sincerity. Seems like a silly thing to get bent out of shape about. If we lost more games, but he was sincerely sorry about it, would you honestly feel better?

I would feel a little better. Only because I think he is too stubborn to admit his faults, and if he did, it would be a step in the right direction from Danny. Ron Wellman could use a class on that too.

There is a 0.000000% chance that Roy actually believes this is his fault.

I would feel a little better. Only because I think he is too stubborn to admit his faults, and if he did, it would be a step in the right direction from Danny. Ron Wellman could use a class on that too.

I don’t know what to tell you, then. If we lost twice as many games with a more apologetic coach, I would feel pretty crappy.

I don’t know what to tell you, then. If we lost twice as many games with a more apologetic coach, I would feel pretty crappy.

Is it possible to lose twice as many games? I don't think we play that many.

Is it possible to lose twice as many games? I don't think we play that many.

It’s possible for a coach who is employed twice as long.

The most aggravating thing to me about Manning is he’s grown so little as a coach in the 5 years he’s been at Wake. His weaknesses in year 1 are his weaknesses now. We run very few offensive sets to get a good shot. Our defense is a total joke. Watching some of the Michigan game last night, the announcers mentioned that 2 years ago, Beilein went and hired an assistant who specialized in defense. It seems as though Manning thinks he knows all and listens to no one. I wonder how much longer Ernie will talk to him during time outs before he realizes Manning will just ignore whatever he’s trying to contribute. I think Chill and Woodberry have given up.

Roy Williams saying he needs to coach better is like a super model saying she needs to lose a few lbs. before the swimsuit shoot; o.k. for her to say it, but she'd go off if on a media person if they questioned if she really thought that ass was thong-ready.

Agree with the others that Roy isn't being genuine here - just using the media to call out himself and his team. That said, even though he's won a couple of natties, I don't think Roy is the greatest coach around. I'm usually critical of his defenses at UNC, and this year is no different. Watched the Texas game over the weekend and some of Michigan. And yeah, this team is nowhere it needs to be defensively if they're going to contend in the ACC and for a top 10 ranking. As usual, they're just going to try to out-talent and out-score you. I do like White and think he's going to be really good for as long as he stays.

Why would you want to go to practice for a coach who says his "coaching sucks." Roy is so lame

Danny never needs to admit publicly that his coaching sucks. 5 years of highlights(nightmarelights) have proven this fact.

His mentor can even do it. Danny Manning has a fundamental flaw in his personality that he can't admit to himself he is a failure.
ng6ng3.png

His mentor can even do it. Danny Manning has a fundamental flaw in his personality that he can't admit to himself he is a failure.
ng6ng3.png

He said in the press conference after WCU that he didn’t coach well enough. This is a weird fight to wage.

He said in the press conference after WCU that he didn’t coach well enough. This is a weird fight to wage.

To be specific the question was why is the defense still such an issue and Danny's response was:

"We have to get better. I know I keep saying that. We'll keep working on it, but across the board I have to coach it better, we've got to retain it better."

In the same sentence he takes responsibility he throws his players under the bus. He should have stopped at "I have to coach it better"

Back