Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 145

Thread: Carolina Decommits/Commits

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacAssured View Post
    CB, Raykwon Anderson, joined growing group of decommiters: https://247sports.com/college/north-...all/Decommits/
    Oof. Does not look like a P5 player at all.

  2. #42
    I wouldn't care if he wanted to leave in January, but leaving in the middle of the season because you lost your starting job is pretty weak. Definitely the move of a coward.

    Jalen Hurts will be considered at god at Bama for what he did last Saturday, and Bryant very well could have been in the same situation.

  3. #43
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,563
    He couldnít have left in January. If he played one more game, he wouldnít have any eligibility left.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    He couldnít have left in January. If he played one more game, he wouldnít have any eligibility left.
    Oh yeah, for some reason I thought he had one more year. Still a weak move though. Heís still a selfish loser.

  5. #45
    https://accsports.com/acc-news/led-b...w-commitments/

    https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...222877065.html and Jay Bateman at center of Wakey Leaks at Army which paid a $25K fine picked up by Mack Brown
    Last edited by DeacAssured; 12-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.

  6. #46
    Robert O'Kelley
    jaybone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    7,426
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    Oh yeah, for some reason I thought he had one more year. Still a weak move though. Heís still a selfish loser.
    Couldn't disagree more. He is taking care - the best he can - of his pro athletic future. He could make $30,000 a year in some arena league or $1mil + a la Russell Wilson. He's betting on himself and I wish him luck. Russell Wilson did exactly the same thing, hedging that baseball was his future but wanting it to be football. NC State told him leave baseball and he chose not to and transfer to Wisconsin. Nobody was calling Wilson a selfish loser.

    BTW, if Bryant is a selfish loser, then we are all likely something less than that. I actually think Bryant IS a pro QB. So is Lawrence.
    le bone

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. He is taking care - the best he can - of his pro athletic future. He could make $30,000 a year in some arena league or $1mil + a la Russell Wilson. He's betting on himself and I wish him luck. Russell Wilson did exactly the same thing, hedging that baseball was his future but wanting it to be football. NC State told him leave baseball and he chose not to and transfer to Wisconsin. Nobody was calling Wilson a selfish loser.

    BTW, if Bryant is a selfish loser, then we are all likely something less than that. I actually think Bryant IS a pro QB. So is Lawrence.
    Bryant may be a pro QB in the Arena League or the new XFL. He is not an NFL QB.

    Don't think his decision to transfer was "selfish"; it was a reasonable decision given the circumstances. Unlike Hurts who has another year of eligibility after this year, and may/will go the grad transfer route, Bryant would've lost his eligibility had he stayed at Clemson. To the extent Bryant has any hope of playing pro football, he had to transfer after the 4th game if wanted the opportunity to play meaningful snaps his senior year. Dabo fully supported Bryant's move. Clemson recruited over Bryant; when that happens, can't fault a kid for transferring.

  8. #48
    I find it amusing when some people talk about 'recruiting over' a player as a bad thing, be it football, basketball, etc.
    A coach should always be trying to upgrade his talent and should be fired if he's intentionally trying to downgrade his talent by 'recruiting under'. The same thing goes for business.
    It's the way the world works to achieve continuous improvement.
    Obviously, if players are 'recruited over' their options are 1) get better so they can play 2) stay on the team as a backup - just in case something happens i.e. Jalen Hurts 3) transfer

  9. #49
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,563
    Lawrence is three classes behind Bryant. Dabo didnít recruit over him. Bryant just got beat out. That happens and Bryant left.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Bryant may be a pro QB in the Arena League or the new XFL. He is not an NFL QB.

    Don't think his decision to transfer was "selfish"; it was a reasonable decision given the circumstances. Unlike Hurts who has another year of eligibility after this year, and may/will go the grad transfer route, Bryant would've lost his eligibility had he stayed at Clemson. To the extent Bryant has any hope of playing pro football, he had to transfer after the 4th game if wanted the opportunity to play meaningful snaps his senior year. Dabo fully supported Bryant's move. Clemson recruited over Bryant; when that happens, can't fault a kid for transferring.
    Dabo told Bryant he was welcome to stay and work out with the team and transfer after the season - he wouldn't play him in any more games so he wouldn't lose eligibility.

  11. #51
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,563
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    Dabo told Bryant he was welcome to stay and work out with the team and transfer after the season - he wouldn't play him in any more games so he wouldn't lose eligibility.
    So he got demoted at his job and his boss wanted him to stay on and train his replacement instead of going to find another job.

    And if Lawrence got injured, Bryant would feel pressure to waste his eligibility replacing him.

  12. #52
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    63,126
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Lawrence is three classes behind Bryant. Dabo didnít recruit over him. Bryant just got beat out. That happens and Bryant left.
    Both men were perfectly fine to do what they did too.

  13. #53
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Both men were perfectly fine to do what they did too.
    Yep. Dabo, Bryant, and Lawrence all handled the matter well.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    So he got demoted at his job and his boss wanted him to stay on and train his replacement instead of going to find another job.

    And if Lawrence got injured, Bryant would feel pressure to waste his eligibility replacing him.
    First off, itís not a job. But, if you want to compare it to a job, the closest comparison would be an NFL QB. If a starting NFL QB lost his job, he shouldnít immediately quit.

    Football positions are constantly in flux, and bailing on your teammates when you lose the starting position is a bad look. As others point out, Bryant could have stayed on the team and worked to earn his starting roll back, without losing any eligibility if he didnít earn it back. He didnít, which is why his motivations in regards to supporting a team and teammates are in question.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    First off, itís not a job. But, if you want to compare it to a job, the closest comparison would be an NFL QB. If a starting NFL QB lost his job, he shouldnít immediately quit.

    Football positions are constantly in flux, and bailing on your teammates when you lose the starting position is a bad look. As others point out, Bryant could have stayed on the team and worked to earn his starting roll back, without losing any eligibility if he didnít earn it back. He didnít, which is why his motivations in regards to supporting a team and teammates are in question.
    what an awful comparison.

  16. #56
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,563
    He certainly could have lost his eligibility if he Lawrence got injured. Do you really think the people criticizing him now would be understanding if he refused to play if Lawrence got hurt? Of course not.

    And an NFL QB who lost his starting job would ask to be cut to become a free agent and sign with another team. And thatís exactly what Bryant did.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    He certainly could have lost his eligibility if he Lawrence got injured.
    Yeah, then he would have been the starting QB on an undefeated national championship quality team. Not a bad situation to be in.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    And an NFL QB who lost his starting job would ask to be cut to become a free agent and sign with another team. And thatís exactly what Bryant did.
    No, he quit 4 games into the season. Thatís very different from becoming a free agent at the end of the year. There really isnít any arguing the point that he quit on his teammates.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by IAppreciateIt View Post
    what an awful comparison.
    To what job would you make the comparison?

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekin View Post
    I find it amusing when some people talk about 'recruiting over' a player as a bad thing, be it football, basketball, etc.
    A coach should always be trying to upgrade his talent and should be fired if he's intentionally trying to downgrade his talent by 'recruiting under'. The same thing goes for business.
    It's the way the world works to achieve continuous improvement.
    Obviously, if players are 'recruited over' their options are 1) get better so they can play 2) stay on the team as a backup - just in case something happens i.e. Jalen Hurts 3) transfer
    Damn straight. Advaning the concept of "Recruiting over" was the only way Ph finally accepted his guy Hinton no longer playing. Otherwise we would still be hearing about the injustice. :>)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •