Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Decommits/Commits

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    Yeah, then he would have been the starting QB on an undefeated national championship quality team. Not a bad situation to be in.
    Why are you assuming Bryant would start over Lawrence once Lawrence was healthy?

No, he quit 4 games into the season. Thatís very different from becoming a free agent at the end of the year. There really isnít any arguing the point that he quit on his teammates.
    Itís different because in college, thatís what he had to do to become a ďfree agent.Ē

I donít know why you refuse to understand what Dabo himself understood.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Why are you assuming Bryant would start over Lawrence once Lawrence was healthy?

Itís different because in college, thatís what he had to do to become a ďfree agent.Ē

I donít know why you refuse to understand what Dabo himself understood.
    Ha. I understand it and Dabo understands it, but neither of us think it was a good decision or a good way to handle things. Hereís what he said:

ďObviously saddened and disappointed that heís chosen to leave the team, but I really have absolutely nothing bad that I can say about Kelly Bryant,Ē Swinney said. ďHeís one of the best young people that Iíve ever been around. Even though I donít think this was a great decision, I certainly respect it.Ē

Dabo handled it well, but he clearly didnít think it was a good decision. There are a lot of people that agree with him.

Dabo could have started Bryant for 5 games and locked him in. Instead he gave Bryant a choice. Of course Dabo wanted Bryant to stay because Dabo would prefer to have an experienced backup.

Dabo understood that Bryant could have wanted an out and he gave him one.

I have a tough time seeing how people arenít taking Bryantís side here. I think everyone would do the same thing in a similar situation. What would Bryant gain by staying?

I have a tough time seeing how people arenít taking Bryantís side here. I think everyone would do the same thing in a similar situation. What would Bryant gain by staying?
    Really? He bailed on his team and friends. He had a lot to gain by staying - being part of an undefeated team striving for a national championship, supporting his friends and teammates, trying to earn his spot back on the team, etc. Everything that Hurts did is what Bryant missed out on by bailing.

I would think twice about drafting a player that quit so quickly on his team.

Again, you realize Hurts had to stay because he hasnít graduated yet, right?

And if he graduates, he will probably leave for next season.

Again, you realize Hurts had to stay because he hasnít graduated yet, right?
    Of course. This really isnít very complicated. Hurts could have transferred and played two seasons elsewhere. There was a lot of talk about it this spring. But he stuck with it and won an SEC championship (and maybe more) for Alabama.

Of course. This really isnít very complicated. Hurts could have transferred and played two seasons elsewhere. There was a lot of talk about it this spring. But he stuck with it and won an SEC championship (and maybe more) for Alabama.
    He will graduate, he will transfer and he will not have to sit out like he would have had he transferred last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmed86 View Post
    He will graduate, he will transfer and he will not have to sit out like he would have had he transferred last year.
    Yep, and he played this year as a back up instead of transferring and playing two years as a starter. He took the backup role and embraced it.

Yep, and he played this year as a back up instead of transferring and playing two years as a starter. He took the backup role and embraced it.
    If you're an alpha dog, like most top QBs are, you want to be the leader and the starter, not the back up.
    And most will do whatever they can, including transferring to get that position.

I know pro sports are somewhat different, but the mentality is the same. One might question why a player isn't happy as a back up if he's making millions of dollars. It's because he wants to start. Play me or trade me.

Ha. I understand it and Dabo understands it, but neither of us think it was a good decision or a good way to handle things. Hereís what he said:

ďObviously saddened and disappointed that heís chosen to leave the team, but I really have absolutely nothing bad that I can say about Kelly Bryant,Ē Swinney said. ďHeís one of the best young people that Iíve ever been around. Even though I donít think this was a great decision, I certainly respect it.Ē

Dabo handled it well, but he clearly didnít think it was a good decision. There are a lot of people that agree with him.
    Dabo didn't think it was a good decision for the Clemson football team or for Dabo. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a good decision for Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekin View Post
    If you're an alpha dog, like most top QBs are, you want to be the leader and the starter, not the back up.
    And most will do whatever they can, including transferring to get that position.

I know pro sports are somewhat different, but the mentality is the same. One might question why a player isn't happy as a back up if he's making millions of dollars. It's because he wants to start. Play me or trade me.

Dabo could have started Bryant for 5 games and locked him in. Instead he gave Bryant a choice. Of course Dabo wanted Bryant to stay because Dabo would prefer to have an experienced backup.

Dabo understood that Bryant could have wanted an out and he gave him one.

The respect of some internet posters.

Really? He bailed on his team and friends. He had a lot to gain by staying - being part of an undefeated team striving for a national championship, supporting his friends and teammates, trying to earn his spot back on the team, etc. Everything that Hurts did is what Bryant missed out on by bailing.

I would think twice about drafting a player that quit so quickly on his team.
    I suspect his Clemson teammates fully understood the decision and many if not most supported him.

Yeah I just don't see going somewhere to play as opposed to riding the pines as crapping out on your team. YOLO and shit. I mean sitting out a bowl game to prepare for the draft is kind of crapping on your team, but if I had millions riding on being healthy for combine I'd do the same thing. Again, YOLO and shit.

Ricky Peral
    Keep in mind Bryant had sat 2 years behind Watson as his backup so, how many years would anyone want to be in that role? Particularly after reaching the starting role and then being re-demoted?

Exactly. If you think of college athletes as people trying to do whatís best for themselves, it makes perfect sense. If you think of college athletes as indentured servants, it doesnít.

Exactly. If you think of college athletes as people trying to do whatís best for themselves, it makes perfect sense. If you think of college athletes as indentured servants, it doesnít.
    Please. No one in this conversation sees student athletes that way.

Surely you must realize that when students leave a program, for whatever reason, it is sometimes a mistake. The student athlete of course thinks itís in their best interest, but they are mistaken. I think thatís the case with Bryant. He thinks itís in his best interest, but leaving one of the top two programs in the country, mid season, in his position, is a mistake. I think it will negatively affect his perception, training, exposure, coaching, and ultimately his pro football future.

Obviously there are also many scenarios where it is a good decision for a student athlete to leave, but thinking it is always a good decision to leave just isnít sound logic. Mistakes are made. I thought Tabari Hines leaving Wake was a bad decision when it was announced, and at the current moment that appears to be the case.

Do you think it was wrong for Hines to leave his Oregon teammates midseason?

Do you think it was wrong for Hines to leave his Oregon teammates midseason?
    I donít know much about the specifics of the situation, but from what I do know, it seemed like a smart move. He wasnít playing (may have been injured?) and it potentially gave him a chance somewhere else.

It definitely seemed like leaving Wake, especially when he did, was a really bad move. He could have had a really productive year at Wake and played himself into a draftable position.

I donít know much about the specifics of the situation, but from what I do know, it seemed like a smart move. He wasnít playing (may have been injured?) and it potentially gave him a chance somewhere else.
    Youíre just trolling at this point.