• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carolina Decommits/Commits

UNC journalism folks back at it full bore with a new narrative to push. Yay!

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/a...cle_2a1bb78a-8486-533d-94a3-694581924c6b.html

Apparently, we’re to assume that Brown has patched things up with all the NCHS coaches. I guess NCHS coaches are comfortable with Brown’s newly hired Wakeyleaks coaches, Bateman and Galloway, recruiting in their high schools. Great examples for Carolina student athletes? Yet, more of the same as before under Butch Davis. Can’t see Cutcliffe, Doeren or Clawson deferring or backing down to this Brown fellow.

UNC just lost their director of recruiting / high school relations. He's a family friend who wanted back into coaching (former HS coach at Carrboro) and is moving on to UMass as a defensive coach. Really good guy. He was well liked so I' suspect the bigger issue was Fedora.

He always had interesting things to tell me about Wake and Clawson.

"He always had interesting things to tell me about Wake and Clawson."

Like...?

"He always had interesting things to tell me about Wake and Clawson."

Like...?

One thing was he while he thought Clawson was a very good coach but was very much a control freak with how he ran the program. He essentially let the assistants know it was his way or else on virtually every aspect of the program. Every small detail. Very different from Carolina. It didn't come across as a negative, just different. Thought he was also super intense, much more intense than he comes across.

Last edited:
FWIW, he hinted we were a few players away from being really good and thought that Clawson was building the program in a very Wake way that was sustainable.

I got the sense he really respected Clawson and appreciated what he was doing at Wake him but didn't really like him (he was very professional about the whole thing) and that he wasn't alone in this opinion.

Jason's a good dude and I wish him well at UMass.

One thing was he while he thought Clawson was a very good coach but was very much a control freak with how he ran the program. He essentially let the assistants know it was his way or else on virtually every aspect of the program. Every small detail. Very different from Carolina. It didn't come across as a negative, just different. Thought he was also super intense, much more intense than he comes across.

Clawson is a no-shit operator who follows the no-shit pattern of The Patriots and Crimson Tide. Belichick and Saban create the template of modern coaching and attention to detail. The system is proven. Don’t screw with it..Emulate it and maybe do it with a greater sense of humor as Clawson surely has. But it’s probable that Dave’s affable manner would be curbed if he were named HC at Notre Dame,for example.

Gosh, if I’m coaching with any hopes of success at a place referred to frequently as LOWF I better attend to every small detail because there is zero margin for error. And if that means I’m not everyone’s best friend then that is A cost for success which will be paid. I wonder how many casual friends Nick Saban and Bill Bellichek have? True friends are what matters. I’m glad the man is intense enough to keep our ship from sinking plus sailing well now. And after Grobe got a conference title and the big check how intense was his focus? Winning consistently has some costs that must be paid. If Clawson is not everyone’s best friend, fine. I have found him to be a straight shooter that commands respect in person even when I disagree with his coaching decisions as an armchair quarterback.

and as far as the “control freak” comments they make sense coming from Fedora’s staff and the fly by the seat of your pants approach. No attention to detail..a much penalized squad full of bone heads making bone head plays at critical moments.

Imagine arriving at UCLA with John Wooden and being taught how to wear your socks and tie your shoes.. that’s attention to detail and all coaches who have risen to the top have followed this method. Assholes? Maybe. Respected. Without doubt.

While we are at it..since Dave Glenn and writers statewide won’t admit the obvious : “bringing Mack Brown back is a complete desperation move”. Can you imagine the plate of crow those fellas had to eat to even consider bringing back a guy they once accused of high treason? :) Hahahaha. Screw unc football. They are cursed with trying to relive some glory years that they didn’t appreciate the first time around.. Hahahaha

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/cameron-roseman-sinclair-186078

Mack Brown just got a commitment from Cameron Roseman-Sinclair, Rivals National #4 Safety, Myers Park HS, JR, who is following his position coach Dre Bly to UNC-CH. UNC wasn't even in the discussion for this player under Fedora. Kid is a monster athlete. Cousin of Walt Aikens who plays CB for the Dolphins.

"I took the millionaire route-"

Does that mean he's getting paid?

"Does that mean he's getting paid? "

No, but he is getting 12 units of credit towards his AFAM major!

I mean it's a very solid commit, but in the composite rankings he's #187 overall, #9 safety, and #8 player in NC. And yes, his position coach just got hired at UNC, which obviously gave them a huge advantage. Let's not act like this is a program changing recruit.

I mean it's a very solid commit, but in the composite rankings he's #187 overall, #9 safety, and #8 player in NC. And yes, his position coach just got hired at UNC, which obviously gave them a huge advantage. Let's not act like this is a program changing recruit.

Yeah, just ranked higher than anyone in Wake’s 2019 class, which is one of our best classes ever.

Yeah, just ranked higher than anyone in Wake’s 2019 class, which is one of our best classes ever.

OK? Were we even competing against them for him? Everyone apparently thought he was going to VT before. UNC signed two players ranked higher in both 2017 and 2018. Recruiting has not been their problem, especially compared to Wake.

Recruiting was also never Mack Brown's problem. How he managed to torpedo his career at Texas with a stacked roster of 4 and 5 stars every year still confounds me.

No he point is that despite only having been there a month, Mack has improved recruiting over Fedora for both the Class of 2019 and 2020. UNC will be vastly improved in a couple of years.

Gosh, if I’m coaching with any hopes of success at a place referred to frequently as LOWF I better attend to every small detail because there is zero margin for error. And if that means I’m not everyone’s best friend then that is A cost for success which will be paid. I wonder how many casual friends Nick Saban and Bill Bellichek have? True friends are what matters. I’m glad the man is intense enough to keep our ship from sinking plus sailing well now. And after Grobe got a conference title and the big check how intense was his focus? Winning consistently has some costs that must be paid. If Clawson is not everyone’s best friend, fine. I have found him to be a straight shooter that commands respect in person even when I disagree with his coaching decisions as an armchair quarterback.

Agreed. I love the fire that Clawson has. Like everyone else I don't always agree with what he does but the man can coach and we are damn lucky to have him on the sidelines. I just hope and pray he beats Carolina next year.

No he point is that despite only having been there a month, Mack has improved recruiting over Fedora for both the Class of 2019 and 2020. UNC will be vastly improved in a couple of years.

True. I'm already sick of Carolina fans talking about him and how their going to kick some ass.

September 14.
Remember that date.
Be there for the beat down

Well this is just 100% not proven yet. Fedora had the #20 class in the nation and #4 in the ACC just last year. A new coach, especially one with the name recognition of Mack Brown, is always going to see an initial bump, as well.

Back