• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carolina Decommits/Commits

I wouldn't care if he wanted to leave in January, but leaving in the middle of the season because you lost your starting job is pretty weak. Definitely the move of a coward.

Jalen Hurts will be considered at god at Bama for what he did last Saturday, and Bryant very well could have been in the same situation.

He couldn’t have left in January. If he played one more game, he wouldn’t have any eligibility left.

He couldn’t have left in January. If he played one more game, he wouldn’t have any eligibility left.

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought he had one more year. Still a weak move though. He’s still a selfish loser.

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought he had one more year. Still a weak move though. He’s still a selfish loser.

Couldn't disagree more. He is taking care - the best he can - of his pro athletic future. He could make $30,000 a year in some arena league or $1mil + a la Russell Wilson. He's betting on himself and I wish him luck. Russell Wilson did exactly the same thing, hedging that baseball was his future but wanting it to be football. NC State told him leave baseball and he chose not to and transfer to Wisconsin. Nobody was calling Wilson a selfish loser.

BTW, if Bryant is a selfish loser, then we are all likely something less than that. I actually think Bryant IS a pro QB. So is Lawrence.

Couldn't disagree more. He is taking care - the best he can - of his pro athletic future. He could make $30,000 a year in some arena league or $1mil + a la Russell Wilson. He's betting on himself and I wish him luck. Russell Wilson did exactly the same thing, hedging that baseball was his future but wanting it to be football. NC State told him leave baseball and he chose not to and transfer to Wisconsin. Nobody was calling Wilson a selfish loser.

BTW, if Bryant is a selfish loser, then we are all likely something less than that. I actually think Bryant IS a pro QB. So is Lawrence.

Bryant may be a pro QB in the Arena League or the new XFL. He is not an NFL QB.

Don't think his decision to transfer was "selfish"; it was a reasonable decision given the circumstances. Unlike Hurts who has another year of eligibility after this year, and may/will go the grad transfer route, Bryant would've lost his eligibility had he stayed at Clemson. To the extent Bryant has any hope of playing pro football, he had to transfer after the 4th game if wanted the opportunity to play meaningful snaps his senior year. Dabo fully supported Bryant's move. Clemson recruited over Bryant; when that happens, can't fault a kid for transferring.

I find it amusing when some people talk about 'recruiting over' a player as a bad thing, be it football, basketball, etc.
A coach should always be trying to upgrade his talent and should be fired if he's intentionally trying to downgrade his talent by 'recruiting under'. The same thing goes for business.
It's the way the world works to achieve continuous improvement.
Obviously, if players are 'recruited over' their options are 1) get better so they can play 2) stay on the team as a backup - just in case something happens i.e. Jalen Hurts 3) transfer

Lawrence is three classes behind Bryant. Dabo didn’t recruit over him. Bryant just got beat out. That happens and Bryant left.

Bryant may be a pro QB in the Arena League or the new XFL. He is not an NFL QB.

Don't think his decision to transfer was "selfish"; it was a reasonable decision given the circumstances. Unlike Hurts who has another year of eligibility after this year, and may/will go the grad transfer route, Bryant would've lost his eligibility had he stayed at Clemson. To the extent Bryant has any hope of playing pro football, he had to transfer after the 4th game if wanted the opportunity to play meaningful snaps his senior year. Dabo fully supported Bryant's move. Clemson recruited over Bryant; when that happens, can't fault a kid for transferring.

Dabo told Bryant he was welcome to stay and work out with the team and transfer after the season - he wouldn't play him in any more games so he wouldn't lose eligibility.

Dabo told Bryant he was welcome to stay and work out with the team and transfer after the season - he wouldn't play him in any more games so he wouldn't lose eligibility.

So he got demoted at his job and his boss wanted him to stay on and train his replacement instead of going to find another job.

And if Lawrence got injured, Bryant would feel pressure to waste his eligibility replacing him.

Lawrence is three classes behind Bryant. Dabo didn’t recruit over him. Bryant just got beat out. That happens and Bryant left.

Both men were perfectly fine to do what they did too.

So he got demoted at his job and his boss wanted him to stay on and train his replacement instead of going to find another job.

And if Lawrence got injured, Bryant would feel pressure to waste his eligibility replacing him.

First off, it’s not a job. But, if you want to compare it to a job, the closest comparison would be an NFL QB. If a starting NFL QB lost his job, he shouldn’t immediately quit.

Football positions are constantly in flux, and bailing on your teammates when you lose the starting position is a bad look. As others point out, Bryant could have stayed on the team and worked to earn his starting roll back, without losing any eligibility if he didn’t earn it back. He didn’t, which is why his motivations in regards to supporting a team and teammates are in question.

First off, it’s not a job. But, if you want to compare it to a job, the closest comparison would be an NFL QB. If a starting NFL QB lost his job, he shouldn’t immediately quit.

Football positions are constantly in flux, and bailing on your teammates when you lose the starting position is a bad look. As others point out, Bryant could have stayed on the team and worked to earn his starting roll back, without losing any eligibility if he didn’t earn it back. He didn’t, which is why his motivations in regards to supporting a team and teammates are in question.

what an awful comparison.

He certainly could have lost his eligibility if he Lawrence got injured. Do you really think the people criticizing him now would be understanding if he refused to play if Lawrence got hurt? Of course not.

And an NFL QB who lost his starting job would ask to be cut to become a free agent and sign with another team. And that’s exactly what Bryant did.

He certainly could have lost his eligibility if he Lawrence got injured.

Yeah, then he would have been the starting QB on an undefeated national championship quality team. Not a bad situation to be in.

And an NFL QB who lost his starting job would ask to be cut to become a free agent and sign with another team. And that’s exactly what Bryant did.

No, he quit 4 games into the season. That’s very different from becoming a free agent at the end of the year. There really isn’t any arguing the point that he quit on his teammates.

I find it amusing when some people talk about 'recruiting over' a player as a bad thing, be it football, basketball, etc.
A coach should always be trying to upgrade his talent and should be fired if he's intentionally trying to downgrade his talent by 'recruiting under'. The same thing goes for business.
It's the way the world works to achieve continuous improvement.
Obviously, if players are 'recruited over' their options are 1) get better so they can play 2) stay on the team as a backup - just in case something happens i.e. Jalen Hurts 3) transfer

Damn straight. Advaning the concept of "Recruiting over" was the only way Ph finally accepted his guy Hinton no longer playing. Otherwise we would still be hearing about the injustice. :>)

Back