• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
All right, so Wellman HAS to know that he has totally killed that Wake b-ball program. I know people have claimed that he thinks he is the "smartest guy in the room", but it's a 100% fact that we have been terrible in all but one season since he got rid of Gaudio. Our records show that, and all of the metrics/rankings/etc. show it. And it's 99.9% clear that Manning is just going to dig this program into a deeper hole. So I am sorry, there is just no way that Wellman doesn't realize at this point that the basketball program is a complete disaster, and is not going to get better as things stand.

So what would be the reason that he does nothing to address it?

Is it because he has put us in a situation where we are hamstrung financially? If so, then that is gross incompetence and he should be out of his job immediately, and someone else needs to come in and try to clean up his mess. I guess we will never really know on this one. There was the report by Goodman, but then there were others on here that basically said as incompetent as Wellman has shown to be, that he is not THAT incompetent.

Is it because he thinks that getting rid of Manning is admission that he screwed up again? Newsflash, everyone in the country already knows that is the case. It's clear that this season is going to be a disaster, and the media is already starting to latch onto this, and it will probably only get worse. So doing nothing is not going to fool people into thinking that everything is just fine. Especially Wake fans. At some point, we are going to have less than 1K Wake fans coming to games. I know I am done watching in real time. I actually started out with some excitement for the season, with some good young players coming in. However, I have no desire to watch terrible basketball. Sorry, but piss poor defense, a lot of turnovers, and clueless play is not my idea of entertainment.

Is it because he actually thinks it's just a matter of time before Manning actually gets it going? Unless he doesn't watch the games at all, or knows absolutely nothing about basketball, that can't be the case. Horrible defense, turnovers, stupid play have been the consistencies of Mannings teams. And now they are consistently losing to teams that we should never, ever even be in close games with. In literally every single game, we are at a huge coaching disadvantage, and things seem worse now than they have ever been. Again, if he thinks what is going on with the program is a sign of good things to come, then he needs to be removed immediately, as a 5th grader could tell that what's going on now isn't working.

Is it because he has plans to retire soon and wants to let his successor decide the course of the program? If so, then he needs to go ahead and get the ball rolling on this one. A new coach needs to be in place within a month after the end of the season. Hopefully it is not Wellman making that hire, but he cannot continue to fleece Wake for more money AND not do anything about the b-ball program.

Is it because he sees the writing on the wall but doesn't believe it does any good to make a change mid-season? I'm not sure it would change our fortunes this season; however, staying on the present course and wasting another entire season and alienating more fans doesn't seem like a winning plan either. At some point, what fans are left need some indication that what is going on right now is not acceptable.

So does anyone have any true insight? Like I said, I just refuse to accept that at this point Wellman really thinks that Wake will ever not be one of the worst 2 or 3 teams in the ACC under Manning. Either he is actively trying to figure out a way out of this mess, or he is content with giving Wake fans the middle finger and basically saying that he doesn't care if Wake b-ball is good or not.

Last edited:
[Redacted] left the naked pictures he had of Ron in his office desk. Danny found them.

Since the moment that skip died, well man has screwed up every single basketball decision he has made. Every one.

Since the moment that skip died, well man has screwed up every single basketball decision he has made. Every one.

My point is that there is no way he does not realize this. I mean every single night he goes to bed, he has to sigh and say "man, I have really screwed this basketball thing up." Maybe he gives a public spin that he thinks every thing is OK - but deep down, he has to know the truth.

My point is that there is no way he does not realize this. I mean every single night he goes to bed, he has to sigh and say "man, I have really screwed this basketball thing up." Maybe he gives a public spin that he thinks every thing is OK - but deep down, he has to know the truth.
I think he knows that he has made a huge mess of the basketball program but I don't think he loses sleep over it nor do I think he strains that much on the program specifically while multiple other programs are doing really well, he's raising a lot of money, and numerous nice buildings are going up right now. He's sadly pretty safe and protected from his basketball mess.

I mean, he should be haunted by what he's done to basketball, I just don't think that he really is in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

When ever he begins to feel bad about what he has done to a once proud program, he just looks at his bank account and says " I must be doing a good job. Look at all the money they are paying me."

True. Are you the worst AD in college athletics? "Doesn't matter - got paid." Make that "getting paid".

Seriously, you have to wonder - what is Wellman thinking?
The main is not stupid, and we have no reason to assume any bad faith or inappropriate motives, despite our usual sports board venting, but I really have to wonder what is going through his head.

I concur that he has majorly made mistakes with Bball hiring, but his other hires have been very successful especially Football and Soccer. I'm not a fan, but it is odd he can succeed so well with other sports and struggle with hoops.

Wellman answers to the President, Trustees, and major donors. In the decade of this absolute destruction, I've never seen a shred of evidence that any of these entities have given Ron cause to believe he has decimated the program

Seriously, you have to wonder - what is Wellman thinking?
The main is not stupid, and we have no reason to assume any bad faith or inappropriate motives, despite our usual sports board venting, but I really have to wonder what is going through his head.

Why do people keep saying Wellman is not stupid. I don't know him personally, but he repeatedly does stupid things. Does this not mean you are kind of stupid?

Why do people keep saying Wellman is not stupid. I don't know him personally, but he repeatedly does stupid things. Does this not mean you are kind of stupid?

from the interviews I've seen with him, he does not look like a candidate to rewrite the Bible

in fact, the "historically competitive" bullshit he made up to try to cover his ass is downright offensively stupid

I don't know about his intelligence but I DO KNOW he's a complete pompous asshole.

At this point I’m down to kick in the first 500 on a Fire Wellman billlboard or anthing else that shames the man. Fuck this.

When ever he begins to feel bad about what he has done to a once proud program, he just looks at his bank account and says " I must be doing a good job. Look at all the money they are paying me."

Somehow he went from gym teacher to a University AD.

His head coach tweeted out a freaking commercial for @Dovemenscare hours after our season ended in disgrace at the ACC Tournament

There is no accountability. No one cares, got paid

Does anybody remember anything about the search to replace Hooks? Any other candidates? The process?

I don't think Wellman blames himself at all for this shit show. I imagine he has his own rationalizations:

1) Bad luck (in Skip dying and then Battle's wife getting sick)
2) The "bad culture" that Dino fostered
3) Kids these days (i.e. all the players leaving including JC)
4) The fan revolt that forced him to fire Bz just when he was turning it around
5) The lack of fan support hurting recruiting

Back