• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

Donaldross is right that you all deserve this because you are enabling morons.

I hate to break it to you, but I have seen donaldross at many, many Wake basketball games over the past several years. He might be enabling!

that’s dumb. i’ve upped my donations lately but as part of the football training room and baseball facility upgrades.
Which just means they pull less from other areas to cover those costs. There's no such thing as "targeted giving"...it's all one big pot in the end.

Which just means they pull less from other areas to cover those costs. There's no such thing as "targeted giving"...it's all one big pot in the end.

It blows my mind how people don’t understand that.

If you don’t trust Wellman, don’t give him your money. They’re probably laughing at people who send “protest letters” with a check included.

This isn't exactly true. There are giving opportunities, such as buying and donating tickets to the bowl game, in which the money is only used for a specific purpose, and there is no need to pull from another area if the money isn't donated.

Additionally, as IAppreciateIt likely did, when money is donated and directed to a specific area, it is very clear what the fan base is prioritizing. This is important as strategic plans are made.

Why would you trust Wellman with your money if you want him fired?

I can only speak for myself, but I have seen some fantastic accomplishments supported by my donations. Every time Petros Chrysochos dominates a top player, and then is humble and gracious when interviewed, I am very proud to be supporting him.

You act like this money is only going to Wellman himself, which is a really odd and incorrect way to look at it. Deacon Club donations are supporting Petros, Jessie Bates, Greg Dortch, Matt Colburn, Dearica Hamby, Jon Bakero, Bruno Lapa, Jennifer Kupcho, Will Craig, John Collins, Isaiah Mucius, Jacori Hayes, Jack Harrison, etc, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but I have seen some fantastic accomplishments supported by my donations. Every time Petros Chrysochos dominates a top player, and then is humble and gracious when interviewed, I am very proud to be supporting him.

You act like this money is only going to Wellman himself, which is a really odd and incorrect way to look at it. Deacon Club donations are supporting Petros, Jessie Bates, Greg Dortch, Matt Colburn, Dearica Hamby, Jon Bakero, Bruno Lapa, Jennifer Kupcho, Will Craig, John Collins, Isaiah Mucius, Jacori Hayes, Jack Harrison, etc, etc.

Great post, Rafi, and I think you speak for many of us. As upset as I am with the decade-long state of our basketball program, I can't imagine not renewing my Deacon Club membership every year.

Good post.
We have a lot of really good things going on with almost all of our sports - team performance, exceptional student/athletes and facilities improvements.
Then, we have one big, long-term continuing problem with basketball.
It baffles me how everything else can be so good and hoops so bad.
And it's so frustrating because we all know we can be so much better. Hoping it gets fixed sooner rather than later.

Excellent post. Amazing how short sighted and selfish some people can be.

who cares? i’m happy to support the baseball and football programs.

Methinks most of the people most adamant about withholding their donations probably weren’t donating a lot to start with.

Wellman has to be shaking in his boots reading this thread.

The man may not stop laughing for hours.

Good post.
We have a lot of really good things going on with almost all of our sports - team performance, exceptional student/athletes and facilities improvements.
Then, we have one big, long-term continuing problem with basketball.
It baffles me how everything else can be so good and hoops so bad.
And it's so frustrating because we all know we can be so much better. Hoping it gets fixed sooner rather than later.

I completely agree.

Methinks most of the people most adamant about withholding their donations probably weren’t donating a lot to start with.

Methinks you're a grown ass adult who probably doesn't need to start sentences with "Methinks". Btw, paint with a broad brush much? You would be very surprised how many alumni absolutely detest your buddy Ron Wellman. At least that's what methinks.

How’s that working out?

Serious suggestion - You could join the Deacon Club and include a letter outlining what you would like to see happen in the athletic department. Then state you won’t renew next year unless those changes occur. I think they are much more likely to listen to donors than others.

but then, when those changes don't occur and he fulfills his promise of not giving, won't he be doing exactly what you are criticizing him for doing right now - which is not giving to the Deacon Club?

but then, when those changes don't occur and he fulfills his promise of not giving, won't he be doing exactly what you are criticizing him for doing right now - which is not giving to the Deacon Club?

I wasn’t trying to criticize those that don’t give - if it came across that way, I apologize. I was trying to explain why I do give, and why I think the powers that be would be more likely to listen to donors than non-donors.

To answer your question, yes, if nothing changed then after a year that person would be in the same state of non-giving. But, they would have tried in a manner that I think is much more likely to be effective than not giving (which obviously hasn’t worked to date to accomplish the goals some have stated on this thread).

Back