• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

I am not up to speed on the most recent financial condition of the athletic department but not so long ago the department as a whole lost money and was "subsidized" by the university every year. The two big revenue sports were not enough to support all the non-revenue sports. I assume that the university charges the AD for most or all of the tuition for scholarship athletes. Whether the AD still loses money each year may no longer be the case with the most recent TV contracts and the $$ that Clemson has brought in to the ACC, but this is a good reason to join the Deacon Club and to give. I want Wellman and Danny both gone, but I want more to support the athletes in every sport.

So the Athletic department mismatched their budget and gets bailed out by the general budget. So it’s important to give money to “support athletes” because...

What’s the consequence? We start shuttering sports before changing leadership?

Methinks you're a grown ass adult who probably doesn't need to start sentences with "Methinks". Btw, paint with a broad brush much? You would be very surprised how many alumni absolutely detest your buddy Ron Wellman. At least that's what methinks.

I wouldn’t be surprised. Those folks are basically vegans. It’s not like they keep their bold individual thinking a secret.

At the end of the day, I’m excited about a third straight bowl game, AND my excitement level for WF BB is basically dead. I’m ready for Manning to go, and I hope we make a hire that meets the same standards we have established for other programs. It’s absurd and inexcusable that it’s taken so long to do so. It will also cost money to fire Manning and hire his replacement, so I plan to help us have the resources to do so. But please tell us more about the same shit that’s in every single one of the 80 threads started after every loss on the hardwood on this thread about our football team making another bowl.

So the Athletic department mismatched their budget and gets bailed out by the general budget. So it’s important to give money to “support athletes” because...

What’s the consequence? We start shuttering sports before changing leadership?

It is not a question of mismatched budget, but the fact that our 2 revenue sports don't make enough to cover for the 18 or 20 non-revenue sports. Said another way, the AD cannot self fund all the tuition due the university general budget, plus the AD operating costs, such as travel, coaches salaries, etc. So if you don't help offset the deficit by giving to the DC, then the school would either have to have a Wake Will campaign to create an endowment so that interest and dividend income can offset the budget deficits, or the administration could get started firing sociology professors. In any case, withholding financial support because you don't like the basketball coach or the AD, is just stupid and petty. Wellman and Danny are not going to be hurt by this, but eventually the student athletes might be. If you truly "love" the school then man up.

Your logic doesn’t hold up. Giving money to poor stewards isn’t “love.”

Methinks most of the people most adamant about withholding their donations probably weren’t donating a lot to start with.
Without pulling a HGIHW and daring people to throw down W2's, and speaking only for myself, you're wrong. There have been plenty of Gold (or whatever they are calling the levels now) and above to #WalkAway. I gave up almost 20 years of seniority at the time I said no more. Could have kept giving the minimum to keep the years, but that didn't really seem like much of a statement.

Did you start giving again when we hired Clawson and made consecutive bowls?

Would you start giving again if Wellman made a basketball hire you approved of?

It is not a question of mismatched budget, but the fact that our 2 revenue sports don't make enough to cover for the 18 or 20 non-revenue sports. Said another way, the AD cannot self fund all the tuition due the university general budget, plus the AD operating costs, such as travel, coaches salaries, etc. So if you don't help offset the deficit by giving to the DC, then the school would either have to have a Wake Will campaign to create an endowment so that interest and dividend income can offset the budget deficits, or the administration could get started firing sociology professors. In any case, withholding financial support because you don't like the basketball coach or the AD, is just stupid and petty. Wellman and Danny are not going to be hurt by this, but eventually the student athletes might be. If you truly "love" the school then man up.

Do you have any evidence this "budget deficit" is currently true given the huge increase in revenues generated from expansion? Or are you just using it to help yourself feel superior while throwing money at something broken and calling it love?

Did you start giving again when we hired Clawson and made consecutive bowls?

Would you start giving again if Wellman made a basketball hire you approved of?

I didn't stop giving as a result of football, so no. The answer to the second question would have been yes after [Redacted]. It's been adjusted to include Wellman's retirement now.

I'll absolutely be back, but I doubt I'll ever give at the same level as before. As a result of the end of the Grobe era and the last 9 years of basketball, I found other things to do with my spare time...went from organizing one of the most well known tailgates, attending every home football and basketball game, along with a few away games, and traveling to bowl game/ACC tournament each year to not having attended a live Wake event besides the occasional homecoming and the Belk Bowl over the last few years. I haven't seen a single Manning game in person.

Methinks most of the people most adamant about withholding their donations probably weren’t donating a lot to start with.

My dad wasn't "Moricle" level but he was upper level of the DC for over 30 years. I think they call it "Legend" or "All American" level now. He dropped his donations when Wellman kept [Redacted] for a 4th year and hasn't donated a dime until this day. He has multiple college friends who are richer than him who quit giving both before and after he did, including at least one Moricle Society member. That shit adds up over the years man. Also throws your theory right out the window because I'm sure there are dozens of others just like he and his college buddies.

Consider the previous two posts. Add all the empty seats at the Joel. Consider the loss of support from recent grads/alums that have never experienced the pleasure of a winning team in what once was the school's flagship sport. The cost of Ron Wellman is much greater than the seven figure income he receives.

Consider the previous two posts. Add all the empty seats at the Joel. Consider the loss of support from recent grads/alums that have never experienced the pleasure of a winning team in what once was the school's flagship sport. The cost of Ron Wellman is much greater than the seven figure income he receives.

Which is, of course, countered by Wellman being a key figure in keeping the ACC together (hands down his biggest contribution to the school), donations from Ben Sutton/Mit Shah/CP3/David Couch/Bob McCreary/etc, record setting numbers of new Deacon Club members, and donations related to a good football program and championship level play from other sports.

Just give it up dumbass. No one really even gives a shit any longer.

I do. I think he is dead on.

Btw, I have a pivot table that extrapolates the amount of $$ donated by posters and those that start responses w: "give it up dumbass". Should I post it on Google docs? I have a formula and you give $0 off an unfulfilled promise annual income (under $100000). It's all math.

Could you explain what was meant by this post?

Wellman knows he will not be held accountable regardless of how badly he screws up. As long as dollars come in, he is free to do whatever he likes.

This thread shows that there is nothing Wellman can do to prevent those dollars from coming in from a sizable group of people.

Wellman knows he will not be held accountable regardless of how badly he screws up. As long as dollars come in, he is free to do whatever he likes.

This thread shows that there is nothing Wellman can do to prevent those dollars from coming in from a sizable group of people.

This thread about the Birmingham bowl?

I thought that was what you were getting at. What did you mean with the “shaking in his boots” part?

I didn't stop giving as a result of football, so no. The answer to the second question would have been yes after [name redacted]. It's been adjusted to include Wellman's retirement now.

I'll absolutely be back, but I doubt I'll ever give at the same level as before. As a result of the end of the Grobe era and the last 9 years of basketball, I found other things to do with my spare time...went from organizing one of the most well known tailgates, attending every home football and basketball game, along with a few away games, and traveling to bowl game/ACC tournament each year to not having attended a live Wake event besides the occasional homecoming and the Belk Bowl over the last few years. I haven't seen a single Manning game in person.

Your blood pressure is probably better than most.

Back