• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

This thread about the Birmingham bowl?

We have a bowl game in 5 days. Our third in a row.
What's the latest line now that Henderson will not play for Memphis?
How is Dortch's finger and will he play?
Will Dortch be back next season? (Hopefully yes). Or will this be his last game as a Deac.......or has he already played his last game as a Deac?
Will Jamie Newman keep his momentum going and win his third game in 4 starts?
This will definitely be Colburn's last game as a Deac as well as several of our best O linemen. Given a weak Memphis defense, will we have a huge day rushing with Colburn scoring several TDs?
How many of our injured players will we get back for this game and how will they play?
Will many of our freshman, who haven't played 4 games yet, play and contribute?
What will the weather be like?
How many Wake fans will show up?
What do you plan to eat/drink while you're watching the game on tv?
Will you watch it at home, someone else's home or a bar?
How many total points will be scored in this predicted 'shootout'?
Will the Deacs win?

For those of you that have found it difficult to discuss our upcoming bowl game, I thought I'd offer a few questions and comments for group discussion.

Fans show excitement for third consecutive bowl game by demanding that our Athletic Director be fired.

Yeah, I think the WF fanbase has done a good job historically of pulling its weight wrt bowl ticket sales, but it just doesn't matter. We still got stuck with the worst bowl of all of our peers in the ACC.

Line is now Memphis -3.5. Before the Henderson announcement, the line hovered between 4.5 and 5.

Yeah, I think the WF fanbase has done a good job historically of pulling its weight wrt bowl ticket sales, but it just doesn't matter. We still got stuck with the worst bowl of all of our peers in the ACC.

Meh, this is the first year it's happened since before 2006. We could have had WAY worse selections in the last 12 years than Miami (yes, locked in), DC x 2, Charlotte x2, Nashville, Birmingham. Not a single Detroit, Shreveport, or El Paso visit.

Meh, this is the first year it's happened since before 2006. We could have had WAY worse selections in the last 12 years than Miami (yes, locked in), DC x 2, Charlotte x2, Nashville, Birmingham. Not a single Detroit, Shreveport, or El Paso visit.

Yet, all three of those bowls are better than Birmingham. Also, the AD has whored itself out to the bowl committees the past two years, swearing we'll buy a ton of tickets and travel bigtime to their bowls.

What? I definitely disagree on that.

We don't have the track record of VT or Clemson, etc. We haven't been to many bowls. We need to continue to establish any good track record that we have. I think we did well to the two Belk Bowls and Annapolis. A good showing at Birmingham can only help the perception that Wake travels well. The inverse can hurt.

all of our peers in the ACC had better records than WF, with the exception of VT who has an enormous alumni base in DC (and we were just in DC two years ago)

We have a bowl game in 5 days. Our third in a row.
What's the latest line now that Henderson will not play for Memphis?
How is Dortch's finger and will he play?
Will Dortch be back next season? (Hopefully yes). Or will this be his last game as a Deac.......or has he already played his last game as a Deac?
Will Jamie Newman keep his momentum going and win his third game in 4 starts?
This will definitely be Colburn's last game as a Deac as well as several of our best O linemen. Given a weak Memphis defense, will we have a huge day rushing with Colburn scoring several TDs?
How many of our injured players will we get back for this game and how will they play?
Will many of our freshman, who haven't played 4 games yet, play and contribute?
What will the weather be like?
How many Wake fans will show up?
What do you plan to eat/drink while you're watching the game on tv?
Will you watch it at home, someone else's home or a bar?
How many total points will be scored in this predicted 'shootout'?
Will the Deacs win?

For those of you that have found it difficult to discuss our upcoming bowl game, I thought I'd offer a few questions and comments for group discussion.

I love the discussion points!
- Think Dortch plays, and this is his last game as a Deac! Hope not, but wish him the best with either decision.
- Hope Colburn goes over 100, and taking nothing from him, but really want to see Carney get 46+ yards to top 1000 for the year. Can not hurt recruiting to have a program with a 1000 yard back and it has been awhile.
- Weather is looking good!
- Attendance sounds a little light, but bringing non-Wake friends and donated some tickets to do my small part
- Hope Newman continues his ascension and grabs the top QB spot with a great performanceand thus inspiring Hartman even further this offseason.

Yet, all three of those bowls are better than Birmingham. Also, the AD has whored itself out to the bowl committees the past two years, swearing we'll buy a ton of tickets and travel bigtime to their bowls.

You would rather Wake play in Shreveport or Detroit than Birmingham? I think that's an uncommon opinion.

I think we got the preference for the team and fans the last few trips, especially DC and Charlotte. It’s ok that the tier list on the bowls don’t necessarily align with that.

You would rather Wake play in Shreveport or Detroit than Birmingham? I think that's an uncommon opinion.

I'd much rather see the team play in a bowl that's after Christmas. Wake and Arizona State are the only two P5 teams playing before Christmas.

I'd much rather see the team play in a bowl that's after Christmas. Wake and Arizona State are the only two P5 teams playing before Christmas.

I think most would prefer after Christmas, but with our record we were low man on the totem pole in the selection process.
In this case, beggars can't be choosy and we didn't have a lot of options.

I think every AD says that to every bowl committee.

I think every AD says that to every bowl committee.

Yeah, but Wake was a little over the top the past two years, to the annoyance of some bowl committee members. Not much effort made this year because we really didn't have any cards to play with any of the bowls.

Yeah, but Wake was a little over the top the past two years, to the annoyance of some bowl committee members. Not much effort made this year because we really didn't have any cards to play with any of the bowls.

Link?

How was the turnout to those bowls? Did we live up to the promises? I honestly don’t have the inside scoop that you do.

Anyway, I will be going to the game with one other fan. Should be there midday Friday and look forward to running into other Deacon fans.

Back