• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

I've actually heard Birmingham is on the rise. Heard a lot of good things are happening there and it has a strong nightlife. Never spent any time there but just from what I hear, it's an up and coming city.

Same here.

I've actually heard Birmingham is on the rise. Heard a lot of good things are happening there and it has a strong nightlife. Never spent any time there but just from what I hear, it's an up and coming city.

w8uw3m.gif

Legion Field is only in the 12th worst neighborhood in Birmingham according to roadsnacks.com.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-neighborhoods-in-birmingham-al/

But being honest, Legion Field is a dump and the surrounding neighborhood is in decline in a growing city. The stadium actually contributes to the problem. The took the unused upper deck off the stadium in 2005 and that's basically the only money that's been put into the stadium in 30 years.

So I guess the take from this thread is when we aren't at the game we should Uber a few miles away from Legion and all is well.

I mean, the SECCG used to be at Legion Field and Alabama used to play a home game there every year. The SEC headquarters are in Birmingham. Atlanta has built four new stadiums since the advent of the SECCG and Bama has vacated the premises.

Memphis D folded late against UCF in that title game.

Not sure about the area but the question is, can I bring my wife/kids in the trusty ole Family Truckster and ask for directions to Legion Field and be safe?

I moved away from Birmingham back in the mid 2000s and then came back several years ago. The city has come a long way, but it's still relatively backward, especially as compared to Atlanta, Nashville, and even Huntsville.

Avondale, just east of downtown, has seen a huge resurgence. It was crime-ridden, but has come back to the point where I don't even think hipsters are willing to live there anymore. Avondale and Cahaba breweries are both in this area. Saw's Soul Kitchen, especially the smoked wings, and Melt are restaurants worth checking out, too.

Lakeview is another area, kind of on the southeast margin of downtown, with a mix of bars and restaurants. Moe's BBQ in this area is quality. The B'ham location of FIVE is here too, although the Tuscaloosa location is probably better known.

Central downtown is where you'll find Regions Field and Railroad Park, which are the city's attempts to spur revitalization. Good People Brewery is near the ballpark, but the bar scene will be slightly north of there - in the Morris and 1st Ave. North area. Paramount on the northside has fantastic food and an arcade, for anyone pining for the 1980s.

Five points south is still a thing, but not really for the bar scene anymore. There are still a few quality restaurants though, including Highlands, Frank Stitt's restaurant of the year winner, and its sister restaurant, Chez FonFon.

Lastly, there's the civic center area. There are a number of restaurants here, but they seem pretty cookie cutter to me. Not Olive Garden or Applebee's level, just not anything unique or special. There is Top Golf in this area now, if that's your thing.

Shorty’s about to ask if he can crash with you.

This season when Wake has played against a prolific rusher (BC and Pitt) the defense has loaded the box and forced the Quarterback to move the bowl. This unfortunately led to two mediocre quarterbacks having career days against us. Memphis however, has both a prolific rusher and a more than competent quarterback. So based on prior results, I do not see Wake loading the box to stop the run.

Instead, I think Wake is just going to have to hope that Glenn has a great day, be able to move up to the stop the run on the outside and still play deep enough to help stop the deep ball. Its a lot to ask of a player, but I think that may be the best way to keep Memphis in check. Healthy linebackers will help, but still this game is going to be on Glenn's back. Otherwise, it will be up to the offense to keep up. The C an C Railroad* needs to be running all day against that Memphis D.

*Really mad that I just came up with this for Carney and Colburn.

I moved away from Birmingham back in the mid 2000s and then came back several years ago. The city has come a long way, but it's still relatively backward, especially as compared to Atlanta, Nashville, and even Huntsville.

Avondale, just east of downtown, has seen a huge resurgence. It was crime-ridden, but has come back to the point where I don't even think hipsters are willing to live there anymore. Avondale and Cahaba breweries are both in this area. Saw's Soul Kitchen, especially the smoked wings, and Melt are restaurants worth checking out, too.

Lakeview is another area, kind of on the southeast margin of downtown, with a mix of bars and restaurants. Moe's BBQ in this area is quality. The B'ham location of FIVE is here too, although the Tuscaloosa location is probably better known.

Central downtown is where you'll find Regions Field and Railroad Park, which are the city's attempts to spur revitalization. Good People Brewery is near the ballpark, but the bar scene will be slightly north of there - in the Morris and 1st Ave. North area. Paramount on the northside has fantastic food and an arcade, for anyone pining for the 1980s.

Five points south is still a thing, but not really for the bar scene anymore. There are still a few quality restaurants though, including Highlands, Frank Stitt's restaurant of the year winner, and its sister restaurant, Chez FonFon.

Lastly, there's the civic center area. There are a number of restaurants here, but they seem pretty cookie cutter to me. Not Olive Garden or Applebee's level, just not anything unique or special. There is Top Golf in this area now, if that's your thing.

Is Botega Cafe still off Highland Ave? Loved that place.

This season when Wake has played against a prolific rusher (BC and Pitt) the defense has loaded the box and forced the Quarterback to move the bowl. This unfortunately led to two mediocre quarterbacks having career days against us. Memphis however, has both a prolific rusher and a more than competent quarterback. So based on prior results, I do not see Wake loading the box to stop the run.

Instead, I think Wake is just going to have to hope that Glenn has a great day, be able to move up to the stop the run on the outside and still play deep enough to help stop the deep ball. Its a lot to ask of a player, but I think that may be the best way to keep Memphis in check. Healthy linebackers will help, but still this game is going to be on Glenn's back. Otherwise, it will be up to the offense to keep up. The C an C Railroad* needs to be running all day against that Memphis D.

*Really mad that I just came up with this for Carney and Colburn.
Wake's defense was sound against pitt until we just wore down. I think a better offensive execution in that game and we would have kept them into the teens or low twenties

Also, Navy was able to beat Memphis with ball control and dominating time of possession (like 42 minutes of it), while Missouri was able to beat them by airing it out and scoring quickly, forcing Memphis to come from behind. Even down 21-0, Memphis still ran the ball a lot.

I am gonna bet the over and hope that our offense keeps humming.

Is Botega Cafe still off Highland Ave? Loved that place.

Definitely. There's the cafe side and the restaurant side. Both are excellent, although, predictably, the cafe side is easier to get into and more casual.

For anyone who's flying in, Sammy's Sandwich Shop (near the airport) has the best burger I've ever had. Judging from some earlier comments on the thread there may be some nervousness pulling into the parking lot though.

Live in Memphis, so watch a lot of their games. Darrell Henderson is the real deal, so it will be interesting to see if he plays or not. Even if he doesnt, they've got another talented RB Taylor and then some really good WR / KR in Pollard and Coxie. Will be important that we at least slow the running game down enough to force some throws. Over their 5 season bowl run, QB Brady White is by far the worst of their QBs going back to Paxton Lynch and Riley Ferguson. Slow the run game, force them to throw and get some pressure. We will score plenty of points on them, the key will be to limit their big plays. And we definitely need to be careful on KR and PR - they can be dangerous.

Memphis was run off the field in the 2nd half twice by UCF this year, and also lost to Tulane and Navy. Under Norvell, they have consistently wilted in high profile situations (blown out by Mizzou this year) and I would expect the same here. You can debate whether the Birmingham Bowl is high profile or not, but it should be a big moment for them against an ACC team in an area they surely recruit.

Given Clawson's history of consistently showing up well for bowl games, plus our staff's ability to gameplan and show up for big moments, and I expect we end up wearing them out in the second half and end up winning by 10+.

From ESPN:

Jared Birmingham Bowl: Memphis vs. Wake Forest

(Noon ET on ESPN at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama)

Both offenses are capable of scoring in bunches, and Memphis running back Darrell Henderson and Wake Forest wide receiver Greg Dortch are two underrated national stars. Tulane is a common opponent (Wake Forest squeaked by while Memphis lost). This is a tough one but Wake Forest rides young quarterback Jamie Newman to a late rally.

Prediction: Wake Forest 42, Memphis 38

Do the players get goodie bags from Jared with diamonds in them?

Back