• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

Nice article from Connor on the bowl game with some updates.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_f12eaaf6-f671-11e8-94d6-8be889cc21c4.html

Another thing to consider for the bowl game is the four-game redshirt rule, which means players can play up to four games without burning their redshirt. The players who have already played four — and hence, would be unlikely to play a fifth in the bowl game — are freshmen Rondell Bothroyd, Kenneth Dicks III and Zion Keith and sophomore Sean Maginn.

Memphis D folded late against UCF in that title game.

More like their strength, their O folded. They woulda won if they kept scoring points, but somehow they only put up 3 in the 2nd half after scoring 38 in the first

Or maybe the stadium is really just in a bad neighborhood.

Anyone been to Birmingham, is it worth a trip? I’ve only ever driven through the city but it seemed kinda cool when I did.

Birmingham is a cool city. Haven’t been in a number of years, but I’m hoping to make the trip.

Okay, gang, let's talk Legion Field and the city of Birmingham. Legion Field, known down here as "the ol' grey lady", was once a great stadium. It simply is not anymore. It has fallen into disrepair, and the city has not invested anything in it in recent years. It is located in a residential area that has also fallen on hard times. There is virtually no parking. The residents of the neighborhood rent their yards and driveways out for partying and tailgating purposes. The "rent" is also protection money for your vehicles. Do not take your car over there. Do the Uber, or stay at a hotel that offers bus service out to the stadium.

I live in Huntsville, which is the best place to live in Alabama. The city of Birmingham has come a long way in recent years on the entertainment scene. Highlands Bar and Grill just won the James Beard Award for the top restaurant in the United States. It really is fabulous, as are the other Frank Stitt places, Chez Fon Fon , and Bottega. Of course, everyone else is going to want to eat at these places so make reservations NOW.

The bar and brewery scene is also quite good. The area known as Southside is where it all happens.

At the risk of starting another war over barbecue, do not go to Dreamland in Birmingham. Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the original and is the real deal! Remember, it's ribs and nothing but ribs. Tuscaloosa is an easy 1-hour drive from Birmingham. And if you go down there, I highly recommend a visit to the Bear Bryant Museum on U of Alabama's campus. It's a cool place.

Birmingham has some history, if you're into that. The Civil rights Trail, Vulcan Park. The Birmingham Zoo is actually pretty cool for kids.

I know the city pretty well, so if you have questions just post them here. Go Deacs!

Everyone is welcome to stay at bird's and drive to the game. :)

edarem-8e61be44-c2e1-445a-be14-9996b9b891a-resize-750.jpeg

A couple of other food possibilities...
The Hot and Hot Fish Club is on the level of the Highlands Bar and Grill. Expensive but we'll worth it. Chris Hastings has a great place there.

Fairly new downtown is the Pizitz food hall. On 2nd Ave north. It's got a variety of different places in there. An Israeli deli, Nepali food, Ethiopian, ramen, ....
Just an awesome variety.

Okay, gang, let's talk Legion Field and the city of Birmingham. Legion Field, known down here as "the ol' grey lady", was once a great stadium. It simply is not anymore. It has fallen into disrepair, and the city has not invested anything in it in recent years. It is located in a residential area that has also fallen on hard times. There is virtually no parking. The residents of the neighborhood rent their yards and driveways out for partying and tailgating purposes. The "rent" is also protection money for your vehicles. Do not take your car over there. Do the Uber, or stay at a hotel that offers bus service out to the stadium.

I live in Huntsville, which is the best place to live in Alabama. The city of Birmingham has come a long way in recent years on the entertainment scene. Highlands Bar and Grill just won the James Beard Award for the top restaurant in the United States. It really is fabulous, as are the other Frank Stitt places, Chez Fon Fon , and Bottega. Of course, everyone else is going to want to eat at these places so make reservations NOW.

The bar and brewery scene is also quite good. The area known as Southside is where it all happens.

At the risk of starting another war over barbecue, do not go to Dreamland in Birmingham. Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the original and is the real deal! Remember, it's ribs and nothing but ribs. Tuscaloosa is an easy 1-hour drive from Birmingham. And if you go down there, I highly recommend a visit to the Bear Bryant Museum on U of Alabama's campus. It's a cool place.

Birmingham has some history, if you're into that. The Civil rights Trail, Vulcan Park. The Birmingham Zoo is actually pretty cool for kids.

I know the city pretty well, so if you have questions just post them here. Go Deacs!

uh, congrats?

At the risk of starting another war over barbecue, do not go to Dreamland in Birmingham. Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the original and is the real deal! Remember, it's ribs and nothing but ribs. Tuscaloosa is an easy 1-hour drive from Birmingham.

I parked in yards near Legion Field (and paid for protection) for night games at least twice with no issue, but that was almost 20 years ago. I can't imagine a day game will be a problem. PI agree Dreamland in B'ham is not nearly as interesting as the one in Tuscaloosa.

If you want bbq in Birmingham, go to Saws. It's not even close, and will particularly appeal to fans of eastern NC bbq since their sauce is vinegar based.

There are some real scared white people on this thread, probably should just hangout in Homewood and take an armored car to the game.

Darrell Henderson is going to run for 500 yards

Back