• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

Newman accrued 13 total TDs in 4 starts compared to 18 total TDs in Hartman’s 9 starts

Wake playing one of the most entertaining of the bowl games again and.... WINNING!:thumbsup:

Don't mind Newman getting it but I agree Bachman was our MVP.

MVP ballots were due with 5 minutes left in the game. I don't know why that's the way it is, but probably so that they can announce as soon as the game ends. I voted for Newman because, at that point, he had been the best player in the game.

MVP ballots were due with 5 minutes left in the game. I don't know why that's the way it is, but probably so that they can announce as soon as the game ends. I voted for Newman because, at that point, he had been the best player in the game.

So do you pick a guy from each team or what

not sure, we had all three timeouts so we would have gotten the ball back with plenty of time only needing a fg to win.

No way. They could have kept running the ball and kicked a FG with no time. Letting the other team score is the only move there. We let them score.

Is that Robert E Lee in the MVP trophy? Great game Deacs and #NewmIn. Great games by Jamie and Bachman. We are going to really miss Cam Glenn. He has been everywhere all year.

I think it's Vulcan...

So do you pick a guy from each team or what

Nope, just one MVP. IIRC, Belk Bowl was one from each team. Military Bowl only designated limited number, I wasn't one of them (was still working for Burlington T-N at the time) but Scott Hamilton was, know he picked Thomas Brown for WF and ... I want to say some Temple WR who had a ton of all-purpose yards.

I don’t think there is any QB controversy. Newman wasn’t perfect , but wins at State, at Duke and the bowl game. He seems to have that “it” factor in crunch time and his size gives us something Hartman can’t. Hartman didn’t come close to getting us a win against good teams, not surprising he’s a true freshman. It’s Newman’s job to lose next year.
This.

Very proud of those guys. Cheers to all. Murrrry Christmas and go Deacs

I’d like to see Mike Allen really develop in the off season and our starting d-line having Basham and Allen as the ends.

Not sure it'll work like that, they play the same position (field end). Starter at the other DE spot (drop end) looks like Manny Walker, with JaCorey Johns behind him next season. Supposedly where Shamar McCollum will slide in, also.

Is northern Arizona actually a better job than Memphis

Either would have been fine. 7-171-1 or 300+ passing and 91 yards rushing with 3 TDs.

Is northern Arizona actually a better job than Memphis

Based on a minute or two of research, it’s a weird hire. Seems top G5 DC should be able to do better than a Big Sky job. The outgoing NAU coach of 21 years made under $200K a year. He made $390K at Memphis. He knows the AD from both working at WSU and he used to be an assistant at ASU.

Back