• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

The attendance at the Birmingham Bowl was the lowest in that bowl's history. Until we can move the needle on bowl game attendance we will only get the bowl that is forced to take us.

It's never gonna happen. We rep ourselves well, just need to keep bringing as many Wake fans as we can

It's never gonna happen. We rep ourselves well, just need to keep bringing as many Wake fans as we can

A bigger bowl game and/or a good/convenient location and we can get decent crowds.
We had a great crowd at the Orange Bowl and a good crowd in Charlotte.
Re Birmingham, it wasn't a prestigious bowl and Bham wasn't a magnet for most of our fans.

The attendance at the Birmingham Bowl was the lowest in that bowl's history. Until we can move the needle on bowl game attendance we will only get the bowl that is forced to take us.

We had 25k
Last year South Florida and Texas Tech had 28k
2016 South Florida and South Carolina had 31k
2015 Auburn and Memphis 59k

Capacity is 71k, so it's not as if teams outside of Alabama are filling the stadium.

These lower tier bowls exist for the benefit of ESPN and other networks.

Look at the Gator bowl, Texas A&M vs. NC State, 38k, that a pitiful attendance for large schools. The fact is that unless one of the teams is relatively local (i.e. Auburn in Birmingham) or it's a top 10 bowl, they are not going to draw a large crowd.

To perhaps make my point more clear, Wake fans do an excellent job of supporting Wake at bowl games. Getting non-Wake fans to attend -- especially neutral fans -- will be an almighty chore

People seem very confident that bowls don’t exaggerate attendance like individual programs do.

To perhaps make my point more clear, Wake fans do an excellent job of supporting Wake at bowl games. Getting non-Wake fans to attend -- especially neutral fans -- will be an almighty chore

That’s what I’m saying. We do our part. If we keep having shootouts, maybe just maybe some locals might check us out.

CFB attendance is declining in general though, so it’s an even tougher task.

We had 25k
Last year South Florida and Texas Tech had 28k
2016 South Florida and South Carolina had 31k
2015 Auburn and Memphis 59k

Capacity is 71k, so it's not as if teams outside of Alabama are filling the stadium.

These lower tier bowls exist for the benefit of ESPN and other networks.

Look at the Gator bowl, Texas A&M vs. NC State, 38k, that a pitiful attendance for large schools. The fact is that unless one of the teams is relatively local (i.e. Auburn in Birmingham) or it's a top 10 bowl, they are not going to draw a large crowd.

Right, Auburn goes 6-6 and gets stuck in the Birmingham Bowl and nearly sells the thing out despite their embarrassment. I would guess Memphis sold twice as many tickets that year as well.

Auburn finished last in the SEC West that year and fired the whole defensive staff. They also beat Memphis.

Auburn is also, you know, located in the state of Alabama.

Right, so the bowl's attendance success is reliant on the state's second most popular football team having an awful year.

Last edited:
I don’t know why a local with no rooting interest would go to a bowl game especially one with mediocre teams.

I don’t know why a local with no rooting interest would go to a bowl game especially one with mediocre teams.

If Winston-Salem had a garbage bowl and a Chip Kelly Oregon team in a down year or a Mike Leach team was playing in it, I might go check it out.

Back