• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

I used to work for a sports production company when I got out of Wake Forest back in the early 80's. We had a contract for cable only TV production for both Alabama and Tennessee football. Did a couple of games at Legion Field (in particular the UT game) and it was wild. That was back in 82-83. Did a game with Merle Harmon and the "Italian Stallion" Johnny Musso. I was the spotter and had to write on a sticky note as quickly as possible the length of a punt, pass completion, running play etc. Merle Harmon was the most prepared announcer I ever worked with and a pleasure to be around. Legion Field was old back then. I can't imagine how it looks now.

I used to work for a sports production company when I got out of Wake Forest back in the early 80's. We had a contract for cable only TV production for both Alabama and Tennessee football. Did a couple of games at Legion Field (in particular the UT game) and it was wild. That was back in 82-83. Did a game with Merle Harmon and the "Italian Stallion" Johnny Musso. I was the spotter and had to write on a sticky note as quickly as possible the length of a punt, pass completion, running play etc. Merle Harmon was the most prepared announcer I ever worked with and a pleasure to be around. Legion Field was old back then. I can't imagine how it looks now.

There's only one.....
maxresdefault-1.jpg

JOHNNY "ITALIAN STALLION" MUSSO

Johnny \
CLASS OF 1989
Category: Distinguished Sportsmen
BORN: 3/6/1950 IN BIRMINGHAM, AL

Johnny Musso was born March 6, 1950, Birmingham, Alabama. The Italian Stallion was a three year starter at halfback for the University of Alabama 1969, 1970 and 1971. He rushed for 2,741 career yards and 34 touchdowns, a Crimson Tide record for 16 years. He completed 5 passes for 88 yards and 2 touchdowns and had 61 pass receptions for 495 yards and 4 touchdowns. His total offense 3,328 yards gained and 40 touchdowns. Winning All SEC and All American honors, he was 4th in the Heisman Trophy voting and was a National Football Foundation Scholar Athlete and a NCAA post graduate scholarship winner. Drafted by the Chicago Bears he chose to go to the Canadian League. He played three years there, one year in the World Football League, and three years with the Bears. In 2000, he was inducted into College Footballs Hall of Fame. He now resides in Chicago.

New field turf installed which helps. Or is that for next year?

Well me and the Mrs are going. Told her not to wear any bling while in Bham. Hope we dont get mugged, stabbed or shot on our way into the stadium. Does anyone know if you can bring in seat cushions or blankets?

There are some real scared white people on this thread, probably should just hangout in Homewood and take an armored car to the game.

I'd put it at greater than 75% you live in either a gated neighborhood & or pasty country club sub division, or a condo that is has some sort of security staffing.

Watching the UCF v Memphis replay, it seems UCF was successful playing a lot of press coverage on the Memphis WRs. I don't think Wake plays press coverage ever, seems our CBs leave a cushion each game. Would be nice to see the CBs work on press coverage for the bowl game and implement it successfully.

Watching the UCF v Memphis replay, it seems UCF was successful playing a lot of press coverage on the Memphis WRs. I don't think Wake plays press coverage ever, seems our CBs leave a cushion each game. Would be nice to see the CBs work on press coverage for the bowl game and implement it successfully.

The best thing you can do to a team like Memphis is control the ball and make their offense watch most of the game. Hopefully Colburn and Carney have big games and Newman can be very efficient in his throws and we take care of the football. We’re going to have to play well, but I think we can take them.

The best thing you can do to a team like Memphis is control the ball and make their offense watch most of the game. Hopefully Colburn and Carney have big games and Newman can be very efficient in his throws and we take care of the football. We’re going to have to play well, but I think we can take them.

UCF played with a big QB like Newman and he had 4 rushing TDs. Memphis DLine got manhandled by some UCF gap blocking scheme plays, and also struggled when UCF went real fast with their tempo.

Charlotte. :p

No gates here either. As I type this there are two cops, a fire truck, and a medic truck at the convenience store at the end of our block and I just called 911 to report gunfire. #nojoke

Our neighborhood is WAY different than it was when we moved here in 2012 though.

I just don't get it when people brag about gentrifying a rundown war zone.

I just don't get it when people brag about gentrifying a rundown war zone.

It’s shorthand for not having to pile the kids into the minivan to head over to the cultural Mecca that is Ruby Tuesdays

Back