• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worse ACC Bball team in last 40 years????

saltydeac

Reaction score
Georgia Tech 1980-81 4-23 (0-14) ACC Standings 1981
Wake Forest 1985-86 8-21 (0-14) ACC Standings 1986
Maryland 1986-1987 9-17 (0-14) ACC Standings 1987

The above teams appear to be the worse 3 since early 80s so we will definitely be in the running for top 3 and really need to dissect the Jacket's 80-81 season to see how bad their losses compared to our current team as well as quality of Ws, as we have none in that regards. Thanks to the Jackets we have hope for an ACC win, but if we don't get one there I'm not sure one will come this year.

Talk about being at the bottom of the barrel. Way to go Ronnie! We love this great culture you have brought! I guess postseason performances don't matter when you have no hope of going???

Not sure how 2018 Pittsburgh isn't included in that list. 8-24, 0-18. 15 of their 18 ACC games were lost by more than 10 points.

The above teams appear to be the worse 3 since early 80s so we will definitely be in the running for top 3 and really need to dissect the Jacket's 80-81 season to see how bad their losses compared to our current team as well as quality of Ws, as we have none in that regards. Thanks to the Jackets we have hope for an ACC win, but if we don't get one there I'm not sure one will come this year.

Talk about being at the bottom of the barrel. Way to go Ronnie! We love this great culture you have brought! I guess postseason performances don't matter when you have no hope of going???

Also, I'm not sure what this means. Our game at Georgia Tech is by no means our easiest conference game this year. We'll have a much better chance of winning at home against Pittsburgh and BC, and about equivalent odds to win at home against NC State, Louisville, Miami, and Syracuse.

That Georgia Tech team is the worst one.

Wake 2011 is definitely included in the list of worst seasons in ACC history - 8-24 (1-15, lone win at home against a UVA team outside the KP top 100). We finished the year 259th in the country. To get worse than 150 or so as an ACC team is pretty bad - to bottom out beyond the top 250 is very difficult to do for any major conference team.

Pitt last year also needs to be in there. 8-24 (0-18 with an ACCT loss) and finished 227th in KP.

And yeah we have a 50% chance at home against Pitt as of right now. That's the only individual conference game where we are favored. We only have three conference games where we have a 30% or greater chance of winning (compared to five games where we have single digit chances).

Not only is this team bad, but the rest of the ACC overall is talented. Pitt is the only other team outside the top 100.

Just to sum up my thoughts - we would have to continue to decline over the course of the season to even come close to how bad we were in 2011. That team was truly horrible.

That Wake 85-86 team was pretty bad. By the end of the season, Wake was starting Alan Dickens, who was not only a walk-on, I think he was a med student.

Anyone catch the Wake v. State ACC Tournament game from 1986 on ESPN Classic the other night? I don't know if Dickens started, but he played significant minutes along with the twin towers of power Ralph Kitley and Greg Keith. That team had some good young players, but I think most either got kicked out or transferred prior to finishing four years. Smooth Sam Ivy was an exception - he stayed.

Last edited:
Sam Ivy didn't enroll until Fall 1986

Dickens was undergrad 85-86 and 86-87, then med school 87-88

GT in 1980-81 had one ACC loss of fewer than 10 points - an 8-point loss at Maryland. Their 4 wins, all at home, came against:

Flagler
University of the South
Presbyterian
Newberry

In that season GT lost home games to Western Carolina, Wofford, Troy State, and someone called Baptist (by 23)

Anyone catch the Wake v. State ACC Tournament game from 1986 on ESPN Classic the other night? I don't know if Dickens started, but he played significant minutes along with the twin towers of power Ralph Kitley and Greg Keith. That team had some good young players, but I think most either got kicked out or transferred prior to finishing four years. Smooth Sam Ivy was an exception - he stayed.

That must have been the 1987 ACC Tourney. We upset the 2 seed Clemson in the first round, then lost to State in double OT. I think that the other semifinal that year (UNC vs. UVa?) also went to double OT.

In 1986, Wake lost to Duke in the first round.

Not sure how 2018 Pittsburgh isn't included in that list. 8-24, 0-18. 15 of their 18 ACC games were lost by more than 10 points.

Clearly not up to date as definitely would have to add '16 BC and '18 Pitt. And great argument to add '11 WF no doubt as possibly the 2nd worse of all time just behind '81 GaT.

Wow so we might own 2 of the worse 3 of all time if this season goes as we expect? Yikes.

According to Sagarin, Wake is at least an eight point underdog to every team in the ACC on a neutral court.

According to Sagarin, Wake is at least an eight point underdog to every team in the ACC on a neutral court.

According to Sagarin, WF is/would be the worst team in the following conferences:

1. ACC
2. Big East
3. Big 10
4. Big Twelve
5. PAC 12
6. SEC

According to Sagarin, WF would be the best team in the following conferences:

1. MEAC
2. Northeast
3. SWAC

there are 32 conferences

The swiftness of Pitt's turnaround under Capel has been a surprise. It didn't take the Panthers long to leave WF in the dust. Their 0-18 team ended last season #227. As stated above, they were essentially non-competitive. Pitt is now up to #104 with a young team starting 3 freshman and two juniors after beating #72 St. Louis (projected as the best team in Richmond's conference), and a narrow loss at Iowa. WF is clearly the favorite to finish DFL in the conference now. With that said, WF would not be an 8 point dog at home to Pitt (at least not yet), WF would also not be an 8 point home dog to BC. With that said, of WF's 18 ACC games, WF is currently projected to be a double digit dog in 11 of them including all 9 road games.

Also, here are the ACC worst teams by KP rating by year since 2002 with coach status:

2002 - UNC #137 (god, I miss Matt Doherty - year 1; FIRED after year 2)
2003 - Clemson #105 (Shyatt - year 2 FIRED)
2004 - Clemson #107 (Purnell - year 1 of rebuild)
2005 - FSU #102 (Hamilton - year 3 of Hamilton rebuild)
2006 - GT #103 (Hewitt - year 5, but 2 years after GT made the NCAA Final)
2007 - Miami #109 (Haith - year 3 of rebuild)
2008 - State #110 (Lowe - year 2 of rebuild)
2009 - UVA #104 (Leitao - year 4 FIRED)
2010 - UVA #76 (Bennett year 1 of Bennett rebuild)
2011 - WF #259 ([] - year 1 of the end of WF basketball)
2012 - BC #261 (Donahue - year 2 of rebuild after Skinner's recruits left) (the ACC was loaded with craptastic teams that year -- WF #211, GT #174 - year 1 Gregory, MD #134 - year 1 Turgeon)
2013 - VT #169 (Johnson - year 1 of James Johnson disaster)
2014 - VT #174 (see above - FIRED)
2015 - VT #175 (Williams year 1 of rebuild)
2016 - BC #225 (Christian year 2 of rebuild)
2017 - BC #173 (See above)
2018 - Pitt #227 (Stallings in year 2 - FIRED after the season)

With the exception of Paul Hewitt, who had banked an NCAA Championship game appearance, every coach with the worst year in the conference is either at the beginning of a rebuild or was promptly fired after the season. WF is currently rated the worst team in the ACC by large margin. WF is #146. Pitt is #102. Every other ACC team is #76 or better. Barring a massive turnaround over the next 3 months, history would indicate that WF would/should make a move after the season.

Last edited:
I miss the early 2000's when UNC/Clemson seemed atrocious. Amazing the way that Wake and BC redefined awful for an ACC team just a few years later.

That Wake 85-86 team was pretty bad. By the end of the season, Wake was starting Alan Dickens, who was not only a walk-on, I think he was a med student.

That he was- I was his Huffman R.A.

Back