• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The worst 10-year stretch in modern ACC history

What difference does it make ? Carter-Finley is not up there with the toughest places to play in America and it was half empty by the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Toughest place to play in NC would probably be Kidd-Brewer on a Saturday night in November, especially as a Power 5 opponent.

What difference does it make ? Carter-Finley is not up there with the toughest places to play in America and it was half empty by the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Toughest place to play in NC would probably be Kidd-Brewer on a Saturday night in November, especially as a Power 5 opponent.

Cool story. I've been to Kidd-Brewer and I've been to 20+ State games and there's no question which is louder and more hostile. The point was not that Newman overcame death valley, it was that it was a tough road environment. But it's telling that the only portion of my response you could argue with was that comment.

Lol dude come on, I’ve been at two of the largest crowds ever at the Rock and it wasn’t as loud as a Central Michigan game I went to at State.

Lol dude come on, I’ve been at two of the largest crowds ever at the Rock and it wasn’t as loud as a Central Michigan game I went to at State.

Yeah, but in November, with the leaves changing, and just that cool crisp mountain air, it can be so beautiful it's distracting for the road team.

When Ga Tech came into the ACC they didn�t win a conference game for several years ...so it can get worse

Another thread got me wondering how WF basketball's recent run of regular season conference play compares to the worst in the history of the conference.

Since the season that ended in 1974, two programs have managed to have a 10-year conference winning percentage of lower than .300:

BC through 2017 49-121 .2882
NCSU through 2001 46-114 .2875 (I miss Les)

Over the last 9 years, WF and BC are both below this basketball Mendoza line:

BC 2009-10 through 2017-18: 43-113 .2756
WF 2009-10 through 2017-18: 46-110 .2949

if WF can go 4-14 or worse this season, and that seems like a lock at this point, WF will "surpass" those 10-year stretches above for the worst of the worst. But will BC stay behind WF? That BC visit to the Joel will be a must-watch!

Thanks Ron!

note: this is regular season ACC play only. Herb managed to win some ACCT games, which would push the Pack up a bit.

The excruciating reality of this is Wake now has probably 3 of the worst 5 Basketball coaches in ACC history

If Ron Wellman makes a move this year, I fully expect to see Chris Mooney on the sidelines next year. Mooney is not a bad coach, but Wellman will miss out on Miller, Kelsey, and a slew of others because he is incompetent.

If Ron Wellman makes a move this year, I fully expect to see Chris Mooney on the sidelines next year. Mooney is not a bad coach, but Wellman will miss out on Miller, Kelsey, and a slew of others because he is incompetent.

I would be absolutely shocked if he did anything that would tie him back to Skip/Dino because, well like you said, he is incompetent. Hiring Kelsey would be, in Wellman's mind, akin to an admission that ridiculous whisper campaign to discredit Dino was complete and total BS.

What the AD did to Dino post-termination was really shameful IMO.

ETA: We also have Mooney to thank for Jeff [Redacted]. Pretty sure Mooney hired that dolt at AFA.

I am convinced bobknightfan took a dump many years ago and it has turned into Biff.

I’d say Dowdy Ficklen stadium is probably the most hostile environment for a big game. But still we are measuring against a low bar.

The excruciating reality of this is Wake now has probably 3 of the worst 5 Basketball coaches in ACC history

Guess we have finally found our true historical competitive niche. Just like soccer's is flaming out in the NCAA tourney earlier than hoped. Kinda like BB back in the day.

Ultimately we're just a tennis school, but that seems fitting when you think about it.

Have we hired Wes Miller yet?

Back