• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- UNCC 49ers -- Thursday 7 pm ACC Network

I thought Wake played well. Give credit when due. First time all year.

Thought the defense was actually decent. UNCC shot poorly but Wake looked like they were actually trying to play D.

We will see if this can carry over.

Yes. The first 8 minutes was ugly basketball with WF playing down to their competition, as usual. WF stayed locked in defensively throughout however. Chill had 4 steals in the first half alone. There were plenty of lapses, especially late in 2nd half in which we (shocker) gave up wide open 3s. Thankfully UNCC literally cannot shoot. WF was 1-11 from behind the arc in the 1st half, a true anomaly for a team whose rare bright spot this season has been their outside shooting, especially from Childress. If we had shot the ball moderately well in the 1st half this would've been a much bigger blowout.

Wake's defense looks much improved, albeit from a low bar of expectation so far this year. They've gotten better on switching defenders...sort of. Any team could run give and go on us all day at this point.

This game for Sarr was feast or famine. Not only did the rim block at least one of his uncontested dunks, he missed a number of put backs and very easy shots. he was also rejected by a small white dude in the 1st half on a attempted dunk. However, I did like him coming off the bench and playing at the 4, which could in theory provide some matchup problems for other teams. He has a nice outside shot and once he got going mid-late 2nd half I was reminded of his potential. Ironically, it was after he got bloody and had to get stitched up that he got more aggressive. WHEN Sarr is assertive and gives us an inside presence we become a vastly more competitive team.

I can say for sure these kids were playing extremely hard and our bench was supportive and into it.

Also, no one has mentioned this but Childress accidentally ran to the UNCC bench during one 2nd half timeout. It was hilarious.

Holy shit, in a season where St Joes blows us out, we lose to Houston Baptist and Richmond and squeekin out victories against the likes of Western Carolina and St Marys, people are sayin beatin UNCC is progress. ACC play hasnt even started.We are poorly coached and we are not a good basketball team. Get Manning out. WOOF.

Guys stop. We are not beating Davidson. Our team doesn't belong in the same gym with a team like them.

Grady hasn't been the best player on Davidson. The kid from Iceland has.

Holy shit, in a season where St Joes blows us out, we lose to Houston Baptist and Richmond and squeekin out victories against the likes of Western Carolina and St Marys, people are sayin beatin UNCC is progress. ACC play hasnt even started.We are poorly coached and we are not a good basketball team. Get Manning out. WOOF.

No one said beating UNCC is progress.

I said that Davidson was bad matchup, and pointed out the difference between a well-run program and a poorly run program. Don't see anyone here predicting a win over Davidson. In fact, there appears to be universal agreement that WF has little chance against a school with a fraction of the resources to support their hoop program. Just amazing how people here now freak out if anyone dares to even point out that for one game against a craptastic opponent, WF played well. Does not mean WF is going to have anything other than another horrible season, but it's ok to recognize when the team plays better than anyone here expected.

I honestly dont think we played good. Charlotte was just really bad.

We convincingly beat a bad mid-major basketball team which is what we should be doing in our worst years. Of course, we haven't been doing that, so it is an improvement? Yes, at least for last night, but it doesn't change anything. We're bad, with little hopes of making much progress this season.

I honestly dont think we played good. Charlotte was just really bad.

I would add that not only is UNCC a really bad team but as well they had a really bad game even for them. Just like in a train wreck as it starts to go off the tracks you see a slight jump by the train that gives you the slimmest of hopes it could get back on the rails. But make noooo mistake about it. This train is headin for disaster.

We had an OK game. If we had an ACC level starting PG and one other big to help Sarr, we'd be a good team, but we don't.

We convincingly beat a bad mid-major basketball team which is what we should be doing in our worst years. Of course, we haven't been doing that, so it is an improvement? Yes, at least for last night, but it doesn't change anything. We're bad, with little hopes of making much progress this season.

I think this is accurate. I was hoping UNCC would wipe the floor with us to hasten the Manning demise.

That game met the minimum standards for an ACC team. The first time all year Wake reached this lowest of bars.

That level of defense should be a given but has been an extreme outlier in the Manning era. If they could duplicate that, Wake would be competitive. That may be asking for lightning to strike the same spot 20 more times this year.

We had an OK game. If we had an ACC level starting PG and one other big to help Sarr, we'd be a good team, but we don't.

If we had one average post player on the entire team that would be an improvement. Chill would start or play a lot for a lot of ACC teams. Might still be better as a 2.

Yeah, I missed that Pilch post. Kellan Grady will be the best player on the court and would definitely be wanted at Wake. And the game is at home. If beating the #70 team at home is a sign of "the program has made some progress", woof, we've got some embarrassingly low standards around here. Even Bz beat teams in the 50 - 100 range at home somewhat regularly in his later years. Let's beat a top 50 team on the road and then maybe we can talk.

FWIW, beating this Davidson team at home would be better than any non-conference win during [Redacted]’s tenure.

Agree with the overall point though.

I wonder if the kid at Davidson is the son of Pétur Guðmundsson, Iceland's only player ever in the NBA. A second generation Icelander for the NBA. :)

That's the only one I've seen his name on. I've looked at about ten.

This guy also has Zion At #11. Sorry, if I don't take him seriously.

I live 5 minutes from Davidson campus and have season tix. Fun as hell place to see bball. Grady is FANTASTIC, and every time I see him play it seems he has 25 and rains 3s from all over the place. He had 39 in one game last season I think as a freshman. The reason you don't see him on all the drafts is because many think he will stay in school another year. He is BY FAR the best player on the floor when Wake plays Davidson. Hoard may be better at some point, but he isn't the player Grady is right now. Kid can BALL

And that mock has Zion at 11 because it was done months ago before the season and practice even started.

Don't take him seriously...... LOL

Last edited:
I wonder if the kid at Davidson is the son of Pétur Guðmundsson, Iceland's only player ever in the NBA. A second generation Icelander for the NBA. :)

That's not his father.

He's a very good player though and may see the NBA.

Back