• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Unofficial Best Collards Thread

Those were the best green beans I've ever had.

Get this green bean mess out of here. Focus on the task at hand. And on a side note, why does K and W just serve turnip greens, but never collards?

Put me in the bucket of folks that have not really had bad collard greens from anywhere. They’re hard to mess up and they’ll always be at least somewhat delicious.

Put me in the bucket of folks that have not really had bad collard greens from anywhere. They’re hard to mess up and they’ll always be at least somewhat delicious.

I use to agree with this but I have for sure had bad collards in Texas.

Can we just take a second to curse to hell everyone who puts raw collards in salads and smoothies? Had a friend offer me some of his salad this week and I took a bite only to find it tasted like ass and felt like twigs in my mouth. Raw collards man, what the fuck white people?

Collards are, without a doubt, my favorite food, and I order them literally anytime they're on a menu. That being said, outside of my ma-in-laws, the best collards I've ever had were at this little hole in the wall called Dean's Southern Bistro in Wilkesboro. Paired with the fried chicken, cabbage, and cornbread, it's up there for best soul food experience of my life.

Ma-in-law? Smart man. Knows which side of the bread the butter goes on.

I ate at Sweet Potatoes the other day and collards weren't on the menu. Sup with that.

Can we just take a second to curse to hell everyone who puts raw collards in salads and smoothies? Had a friend offer me some of his salad this week and I took a bite only to find it tasted like ass and felt like twigs in my mouth. Raw collards man, what the fuck white people?

I think we can take a minute and admit that uppity white people fucking suck.

I make collards and tend to prefer mine to what I get in restaurants. I also don't use fatback or anything too fatty. I boil 1 ham hock for 1 hour in water with some of the leftover rub (usually make it with ribs or bbq) and a little cider vinegar. Then throw in 2/3 collards and 1/3 kale for about 1 hour.

I also use collards when I make callaloo, a caribbean soup with greens and fake crab in a broth and coconut milk based soup. One of my favorite soups.

I make collards and tend to prefer mine to what I get in restaurants. I also don't use fatback or anything too fatty. I boil 1 ham hock for 1 hour in water with some of the leftover rub (usually make it with ribs or bbq) and a little cider vinegar. Then throw in 2/3 collards and 1/3 kale for about 1 hour.

I also use collards when I make callaloo, a caribbean soup with greens and fake crab in a broth and coconut milk based soup. One of my favorite soups.

I cook a half pound of bacon, dump about half the grease from that into a huge pot of about 2 pounds of coarse chopped, partially stemmed collards; chop the bacon, then throw that into the pot. Tablespoon of butter, shake a few red pepper flakes, S&P to taste.

I cook a half pound of bacon, dump about half the grease from that into a huge pot of about 2 pounds of coarse chopped, partially stemmed collards; chop the bacon, then throw that into the pot. Tablespoon of butter, shake a few red pepper flakes, S&P to taste.

While I hear you, and I'm sure it's good, that's too much fat for me. I'm an old and try to avoid fried and overly fatty foods. Try throwing in some of your rub for extra seasoning. Mine is brown sugar, salt, cayenne, garlic, cumin and coriander.

I once bought a can of creasy greens. (I haven't seen them for sell in years.) We cooked them for dinner. They were terrible! The worst tasting thing that I have ever had. And they completely stunk up my favorite popcorn pot. I had to throw the pot away.

Made collards to go with chops and grits (divine). Using potlicker tonight to make a beans and ham soup. Will report when done.

Never has a tag brought a tear to my eye until I saw "bell brothers rip". By now there's been a whole generation of Deacons that have never experienced the toilet destroying power of BBs.

Never has a tag brought a tear to my eye until I saw "bell brothers rip". By now there's been a whole generation of Deacons that have never experienced the toilet destroying power of BBs.

After dropping my meal plan, most breakfasts were at Biscuitville, and most dinners were at BBs, K&W or Bojangles - all being at least as cheap as and better than the Pit. Also remember Bighouse Gaines being a regular at BBs. Many fond BBs memories.

Back