• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Unofficial Best Collards Thread

tagsfan

Reaction score
This is a spin-off from another thread. Collards deserve their own.
In the Triad, I favor Lucky 32. The ones at Biscuithead in Asheville top my list, however. Honorable mention goes to Fatback Soul Shack in Christiansburg, Va.

As long as we're talking collard greens over mustard or turnip greens, we can keep this civil.

I will second Lucky 32 as Triad champ, although the Kitchen + Market at Revolution Mill has a different take that is also very good.

Skrimp and Fish on Gate City does not have the best collards, but they have some of the most unique. It's almost a paste, which you would think would be gross - but it isn't. It's almost like eating filling for spanikopita.

Stephanie's is a strong choice in Greensboro that most of you haven't been to.

As I said in the other thread, Pattan's in Rockingham has the best collards in NC. Unfortunately, you have to go to Rockingham to eat them, which makes them way less good.

Otherwise, collards are probably just collards. Smith Street, Southern Roots, etc. all just collards.

I don't think I've ever not enjoyed collard greens. Kind of hard to mess up. I guess if they are too vinegary? I like vinegar though. I'm just glad that there are at least a dozen places in the area that serve a solid side of collards. Can't really say which is my favorite but most recently Earl's surprised me. They weren't too mushy, weren't too juicy, and the greens were cut to a proper length and width. The flavor didn't rely too heavily upon the fatback either.

Cook collards outside.

Thats all I got.

Pickled collards are fantastic if you want a quick fix at home

Collards are, without a doubt, my favorite food, and I order them literally anytime they're on a menu. That being said, outside of my ma-in-laws, the best collards I've ever had were at this little hole in the wall called Dean's Southern Bistro in Wilkesboro. Paired with the fried chicken, cabbage, and cornbread, it's up there for best soul food experience of my life.

Buxton Hall BBQ in Asheville is pretty dope.

theirs are good, but I usually go with the green beans they cook under the hog in the smoker.

Bonfire BBQ in town also has some good greens, they call em triple greens. I guess it's also mustard and turnip.

Spent a couple of nights in Charleston and ate at Paw Paw. I had the fried chicken and sides, including what may have been the best collards I've ever had. Seasoned just right with some bacon bits.

Anntony's Carribean on Pecan Avenue in Charlotte.

The Boathouse on Isle of Palms.

theirs are good, but I usually go with the green beans they cook under the hog in the smoker.

Bonfire BBQ in town also has some good greens, they call em triple greens. I guess it's also mustard and turnip.

Those were the best green beans I've ever had.

Bonfire and 12 Bones both have excellent greens.

I just want to see the collard thread get the attention it deserves and see a second page. Lessgetit.

Back