• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good whiskey, scotch and rye (anything but bourbon)

Opened a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 year this evening - very nice.

Picked up the Glenmorangie 12 year La Santa (bourbon/sherry cask finish) for Christmas sipping. I enjoy all sorts of liquors but in the cold dark months Scotch is my go-to. Bourbon for the spring and fall, gin all summer long.

Speaking of gin, Fainting Goat Distillery in Greensboro makes one called Emulsion that I think is excellent.

What makes a good gin for you? Do you have any recs that might be available on the west coast? My wife loves gin and I’ve been wanting to get her something fun.

What makes a good gin for you? Do you have any recs that might be available on the west coast? My wife loves gin and I’ve been wanting to get her something fun.

Get her a bottle of Hendricks and cucumber or a bottle of the Botanist. Drink the Hendricks neat with a slice of cucumber or drink the botanist just neat.

Honestly those are the only gins I know besides the tanqueray.

I really like Leopold Bros. They're a distillery from Denver and I know they sell in CA. During the summer months, they sell a special gin called Summer Gin that's awesome. Very citrusy.

St. George is another great gin distillery and they distill in Alameda so I'm sure it should be easy get a hold of their stuff on the West Coast.

My son gave me an Ardbeg Twenty Something (yes, that's the real name) for Christmas. It is a limited release, 22 year old whisky. I'm going to try it out tonight! :dancindeac:

I'm making the call ... Ardbeg Uigeadail > Lagavulin 16. 60 Minute episode tonight on Islay and its Scotch sent me to the liquor cabinet.

My in-laws gave me a bottle of Highland Park “Dark Origins” for Christmas. I am a big fan of Highland Park’s standard 12 year bottle, so I’m looking forward to digging into this soon.

Brother in law bought into a small % ownership of Heaven’s Door whiskey (Bob Dylan is main driver) and have us some for Christmas. It’s pretty good. They have a blend, rye, and bourbon out.

I'm not usually a scotch drinker, definitely not anything peaty, however in India last month any port in a storm I was drinking 100 Pipers and found it very smooth - and apparently cheap.

And if I haven't commented earlier in the thread, Rittenhouse Rye is my cheap goto for non-bourbon bourbon.

Foursquare can be found under different labels. I have a Real McCoy 12 waiting to be opened. Have the Foursquare Zinfandel blend which is pretty solid. Passed on 2004 and 2005s a few months ago and now kicking myself.

Broke down tonight and grabbed a bottle of the Foursquare 2005. Our local wine/liquor/good food place had several bottles, and it was a little cheaper ($85) than I have seen, so I figured it was time to pick one up before they vanish for good. Came home and poured a little glass...and it is so good. As good as the Port aged, Zinfandel aged, Sherry aged are, the 2004 and 2005 are just on another level. They smell a little like rum and taste a little like rum but really come off like a super complex rum/whiskey hybrid.

Four Square Rums.... So good

If you ever see one, buy it, no questions asked

I have a habitation velier worthy park waiting for me to pick up, excited to try it

Durham Distillery here in Durham makes Conniption gin which has received a ton of international awards and recognition. They have an American Dry at 88 proof and a Navy Strength at 114 (!) proof. Very drinkable and flavorful even at that level of alcohol. If you’re in NC I recommend picking up some to give a try.

Durham Distillery here in Durham makes Conniption gin which has received a ton of international awards and recognition. They have an American Dry at 88 proof and a Navy Strength at 114 (!) proof. Very drinkable and flavorful even at that level of alcohol. If you’re in NC I recommend picking up some to give a try.

Navy strength is indeed excellent.

Back