• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2nd place in Director's Cup

The final fall standings have been released and Wake finished the fall #1 in the ACC and #6 in the country. In 2015 Wake finished the fall #110 in the country, in 2017 we were #32, and in 2018 we were #17.

Don't worry after basketball season we will be back around #110.

Weird. Overall I feel like every sport performed a little worse than last year with the exception of Wonen’s Soccer

In addition to women's soccer, we also received more points than the previous year in men's cross country, women's cross country, and field hockey.

Don't worry after basketball season we will be back around #110.

Not even close. If we received no more points the rest of the entire year we would finish around #70. We have the potential to score points in men's and women's tennis, men's and women's golf, baseball, and track and field.

Not even close. If we received no more points the rest of the entire year we would finish around #70. We have the potential to score points in men's and women's tennis, men's and women's golf, baseball, and track and field.
It was a joke and purposeful exaggeration for effect.

In addition to women's soccer, we also received more points than the previous year in men's cross country, women's cross country, and field hockey.

Completely forgot about field hockey. Good call.

Pretty astonishing to think that we've currently got the sixth best-performing athletic department in the country. No LOWF there.

Yay field hockey. Long live the emperor.
If you only want to care about the accomplishments of the football and basketball teams, that's cool. But it's pretty great that wake does other things very well too. Some of these better than just about every other school in the country. Makes me proud to be a Deac.

If you only want to care about the accomplishments of the football and basketball teams, that's cool. But it's pretty great that wake does other things very well too. Some of these better than just about every other school in the country. Makes me proud to be a Deac.

+1

You can still be pissed off about a floundering basketball program while being proud of successful programs. Wake Forest can be a winner. That’s a good thing. Seems to me that it makes the basketball job more appealing if pitched the right candidate in the right way.

No reason an overall successful athletic program has two horrible hoops programs. Makes no sense.

No reason an overall successful athletic program has two horrible hoops programs. Makes no sense.

Why not? Its a different person running that program. Two bad hires were made for the same job. That’s definitely possible. A university can be successful and have a shitty English department.

Can but shouldn’t.

+1

You can still be pissed off about a floundering basketball program while being proud of successful programs. Wake Forest can be a winner. That’s a good thing. Seems to me that it makes the basketball job more appealing if pitched the right candidate in the right way.

This is a great point. I, along with Deacfreak and wakephan, care about the success of all our programs. No one but the regulars are posting on our thread about our preseason ranked Baseball team, a program which has much more historical success than our b-ball program. The success of these other programs is great and should make the b-ball job more attractive. If we can be successful in sports where partial scholarships still have recruits paying 25k a year then bring on a b-ball coach that understands we can win in everything. Also, follow our other sports everyone! They are fun to watch and we are good (well except for volleyball per usual).

Volleyball was fun and sort of good 20 years ago before we had our coach poached and when we had Trina Maso de Moya, one of Wake's greatest ever athletes.

Volleyball was fun and sort of good 20 years ago before we had our coach poached and when we had Trina Maso de Moya, one of Wake's greatest ever athletes.

It's a super fun sport to watch. It's too bad our teams have struggled so much. The current coach (Ferguson) has a good track record - hopefully he can turns things around now that they have their own dedicated gym.

Agreed.

One of the strangest things on this board is the animosity towards all the Wake athletic teams. I get being upset with the men's basketball situation, but look at the tags in the current threads about the football, tennis, baseball, and soccer teams. I don't often look at the tags because I read on my phone, but when I do see them, man are they weird. Maybe it's all just coming from one person? It's like looking at the comments in a youtube video...

+1

Clawson touches on this often on the Dave Clawson show. He consistently says that having successful programs across the board helps with football recruiting.

Back