• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Davidson Wildcats -- 7pm ESPNU Tonight

Looks pretty solid. Cooked with eggs, cheeses and the like and NO sticking! It took me 10 years of absolutely shitty basketball to realize there truly is superior cookware!!!!

I'm all about putting the last ten years of Wake Men's BB behind me. If culinary utensils can help with that, I'm down wid it! I've tried drugs and alcohol, and neither have worked. Time for a change. Some new crockery, and a new coach? Hell yeah!

I have been very critical of the defense in Manning's tenure. The last 2 games have been better than anything in the past 4 1/2 years.

Hope it is here to stay. Wake will be competitive if they play defense. Not sure what created the change midway through the 5th year, but this level of defense is necessary to have a chance.

Better late than never?

Nestor

We have no back to the basket post up option. So you catch, dribble once or twice, maybe fake a shot, throw it back to Childress, the playmaker.

His playmaking those last six minutes prolly did not impress the scouts. Ain’t working this offense. Nope.

Pretty sure this is a Russian not turning us against our own team.

In all seriousness, prolonged defensive intensity against a well coached offense equals applauds for staff. Quick to criticize need to be equally quick to praise and vice versa imo. Great job last night Danny, chill and staff

Smart got totally abused tonight.

Left alone with no doubling down to defend the 3point shot, actually worked well as witness to the low number of 3’s they were able to make, I guess decision was we would give two’s and try not to let three point shooters alone.

Smart got totally abused tonight.

He subbed in for Sarr late in the second half who was getting completely, utterly, thoroughly, entirely abused by Davidson's international big man and immediately made him miss a couple shots just by being stronger and not letting him get his position as easily. Smart is limited but man post defense is where he shines, which is the opposite of Sarr.

Brajkovic was simply pushing Sarr under the basket and dunking on him. Sarr just wasn't strong enough or big enough to stop him.

Smart was big and strong enough to keep Brajkovic from backing him down, so Brajkovic would Euro-step around him for a more difficult shot.

Wake doesn't have a complete post defender. Sarr gets pushed out of position
Smart isn't quick enough.

This isn't rocket science - we benched Sarr after a couple horrific losses and won 2 straight. Smart had more 2 point buckets last night than Sarr did in the entire Myrtle Beach Invitational. Smart is pretty awful, but at least he plays like a true center and grabs normal rebounds. Cleans up the confusion of Hoard having to play half 4 half 5. Plus Sarr is better off the bench because he's a confusing cover for subs. Smart is going to get beat plenty by good centers for a while, but it's still better than Sarr being completely ineffective.

We're not going to win a lot of games when Mucius doesn't score, but Johnson did a nice job picking up the slack and hitting some big buckets. Decent win all things considered, at least it was watchable. Chill with another 16/4 outing and only 2 turnovers. Really don't understand the lashing this board gives him every game.

This isn't rocket science - we benched Sarr after a couple horrific losses and won 2 straight. Smart had more 2 point buckets last night than Sarr did in the entire Myrtle Beach Invitational. Smart is pretty awful, but at least he plays like a true center and grabs normal rebounds. Cleans up the confusion of Hoard having to play half 4 half 5. Plus Sarr is better off the bench because he's a confusing cover for subs. Smart is going to get beat plenty by good centers for a while, but it's still better than Sarr being completely ineffective.

We're not going to win a lot of games when Mucius doesn't score, but Johnson did a nice job picking up the slack and hitting some big buckets. Decent win all things considered, at least it was watchable. Chill with another 16/4 outing and only 2 turnovers. Really don't understand the lashing this board gives him every game.

Agreed. The dropoff from Crawford has not been significant. Through our first 11 games last season (up to this date), Crawford was averaging 5.18 AST, 3.36 TO, 16.3 ppg, 45.3% fg, 30.7% 3Pt. Through 9 games this season (up to this date), Chill is averaging 4.33 AST, 2.44 TO, 16.7 ppg, 50.6% fg, 48.9% 3Pt. Chill also doesn't have Moore to throw it to for alley-oops. I'll take a PG who turns it over less and who hits 3s.

I'm not saying Chill has been perfect. He messed up the HBUC game. But for everyone who thought Crawford was a potential pro, Chill is matching him. Crawford was maddening. Let me know when Chill has games of 7 and 8 TO's.

Last edited:
that was actually fun to watch... I know Davidson isn't the team they will be, or have been, but it was a nice win. Lil Chill doesn't deserve a lot of the crap he gets, but he still plays Ole' defense, and get in too deep for his size on the O side sometimes. Nice guy, though... my wife ran into he & JGray a few weeks back, and said he couldn't have been more polite & patient (yes, she had to take selfies)

I was surprised Hoard only played 29 minutes. However, in the few shots of him going to the bench, he looked pretty winded, so maybe he just needed a breather.

BChill has been more productive this season. Maybe thete is something to be said for players with experience. Rotations are pointing to that, as Torry Johnson and BChill got the most minutes last night.

Agreed. The dropoff from Crawford has not been significant. Through our first 11 games last season (up to this date), Crawford was averaging 5.18 AST, 3.36 TO, 16.3 ppg, 45.3% fg, 30.7% 3Pt. Through 9 games this season (up to this date), Chill is averaging 4.33 AST, 2.44 TO, 16.7 ppg, 50.6% fg, 48.9% 3Pt. Chill also doesn't have Moore to throw it to for alley-oops. I'll take a PG who turns it over less and who hits 3s.

I'm not saying Chill has been perfect. He messed up the HBUC game. But for everyone who thought Crawford was a potential pro, Chill is matching him. Crawford was maddening. Let me know when Chill has games of 7 and 8 TO's.

Excellent take. Chill actually looks like he gives a s*** in the final minutes of games as opposed to last year's PG. Last year, WF would've been shut out in the last 4 minutes and lost at the buzzer. WF pulled away after Davidson cut it to 5 with 3:10 to go.

Chaundee has also been really solid the last 4 games. It feels like he's been here forever but he's just 9 games into his sophomore year. He'll be a regular contributor.

The ACC Sports Journal did an article on Chill’s shooting. Chill’s percentage is much higher from 3 and on spot up shots than drives, pull ups, etc. He should really look to pass on drives unless he has an easy shot or layup.

He subbed in for Sarr late in the second half who was getting completely, utterly, thoroughly, entirely abused by Davidson's international big man and immediately made him miss a couple shots just by being stronger and not letting him get his position as easily. Smart is limited but man post defense is where he shines, which is the opposite of Sarr.

He scored almost all of his points on Smart. And got almost all of his rebounds while Smart was playing him.

I disagree on Sarr getting abused. I think we decided we weren't going to help on D in the paint and instead cover the 3-point line. It's a straight forward decision, not particularly flexible or imaginative, but understandable. Davidson is coached by a HOF, so he figured that out and had those guys who could back down his defender do so. I mean, even Smart got backed down. You take anyone with an adequate post up game and a jump hook 8 seconds one-on-one with no help to stop the dribble, and you are going to get backed down to the rim.

I personally think you could create a more imaginative defense - figure out who you don't mind giving an open 3-point look to and send that defender down to at least stop the dribble, but we didn't do that. We did win though, and I could understand the staff essentially saying - the guy killing us is a frosh who looks like he might get winded soon, so let's let him get his so that the other 3 point shooters don't ever get fluid with their shots. So, it sort of worked. I think in college great coaches try something on one trip to disrupt a repetitive play but we don't have an elite coach who can manage that on the fly.

That said, strongly encouraged by our focus on D - that is a huge step up. Honestly, I don't think we've been that focused on D for a full game (or one could argue 37 minutes), since early in John Collins soph year.

Chill is playing himself into a really good European contract, which is pretty amazing IMO. His game reminds me quite a bit of Taron Downey. Downey made good coin overseas for 8 or so years, I believe.

I also have to plead mea culpa on TJohnson. I still worry he is going to be a defensive liability against guards in ACC play who have lateral quickness, but he hit some big shots. His missed shots though ... they remind me of the Russian transfer from Georgetown we had during the darker era - what was his name? There is a GIF of him throwing a shot over the backbooard and a Wake player throwing up his arms in exasperation in the foreground ...

Last edited:
He scored almost all of his points on Smart. And got almost all of his rebounds while Smart was playing him.

No he didn't. I watched him score effortlessly with Sarr on him and watched him miss two shots while Smart was guarding him. The guy was 9-16. Smart had 6 boards to Sarr's 3. Sarr showed some really nice offensive moves last night though so I'm hopeful he can keep developing. But for bodying a guy up in the post, right now, I'll take my chances with Smart. The guy was effective against Ayton in the tourney. He knows what he's doing.

Back