• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Davidson Wildcats -- 7pm ESPNU Tonight

Everyone who thinks my comment was dumb doesn't get the big picture. Strong 1st half got the win, 2nd half was like all the second halves under Manning. Davidson was the inferior team and they were able to stick around and nearly come back. If that game goes another 10 minutes they likely take the lead and win. The 1st half went well, then right after halftime they cut the lead from 9 to a single possession game. Wake even went minutes without a field goal to end the 1st half, making a 14 point lead go down to 9 at half. All this was done by Manning not correctly staying with the hot hands on the team in Hoard and Chuandee. So you could say how well Wake played the first 10 minutes of that game created the win. Hoard came out on fire, other guys stepped up, defense looked good, and then Danny's coaching took over. Halftime adjustments were made by Davidson, and now a skinny Austrian 2-star freshman and a decent PG from Iceland are lighting them up in the second half. This team can't string together 2 good halves against a Davidson team missing their best player/likely conference player of the year.

Plus, if you multiply last year's Super Bowl second-half score by two then the Patriots beat the Eagles 42-38. Time for another parade in Boston.

Thanks, that's a perfect example of why +/- in basketball can be incredibly deceiving. Smart was being abused by their big guy while we were killing it from three in the first half. Smart (or anyone who was playing center) had no impact on our guys hitting 7-10 threes, but he did have an impact on giving up points by his man.

Is it really unbelievable that the PGs we could get wouldn’t want to play behind Crawford and a coach’s kid?

Agreed. The plus of having an easy recruit to nab in BChill comes with the minus that recruiting after him presents an extra dynamic for recruits to consider. A staff has to be exceptional to navigate that on the trail. Maybe they were by fining Lewis, but we won’t ever really know.

I'm not sure which game some of you were watching, but I went back to the play-by-play to check out the Davidson's big guy's scoring. According to that, he scored either 11 or 13 points versus Smart and 6-8 points against Sarr. He also got most of his rebounds when Smart was on the court. Sarr played 19 minutes vs. 18 for Smart.

This does show how the board gets a narrative and then attempts to make what happens fit preconceived notions.

Sarr is definitely not the defender some of us thought he would be, but last night Smart gave up more points in spite of being more physical.

BTW, barring injury or foul trouble, there is no logic in playing Johnson more minutes than Hoard.

I am more concerned with getting Sharone Wright going. I think Wright is more likely to help us win ACC games than Johnson. Wright is going to be consistently good at some point soon. Getting him consistent minutes would speed up that process. He's not getting consistent minutes.

If nothing else, Smart is strong and can rebound. I have no real issues with how Manning is handling the center position... The announcers called it a 3-headed monster and that’s quite generous. It’s more like 3-headed mediocrity.

Also, I haven’t been a huge fan of Johnson, but he absolutely won us the game down the stretch last night. A couple of big buckets where he created his own shot. That situation has been a huge fail for most everyone else at Wake the last few years.

Small sample size, but he got it done.

Agree that the center position is fine for what we have. Against some we can go with Hoard and Mucius. Yesterday wasn’t a good matchup for Mucius.

Agree that the center position is fine for what we have. Against some we can go with Hoard and Mucius. Yesterday wasn’t a good matchup for Mucius.

Mucius at center? Kid weighs 190... I get it you mean only in a pinch, but I don't think that's gonna work. SF or SG.

Mucius at center? Kid weighs 190... I get it you mean only in a pinch, but I don't think that's gonna work. SF or SG.

We’ve played Hoard and Mucius at the 4 and 5 before. It’s a fine small lineup against teams without good bigs.

I'm not sure which game some of you were watching, but I went back to the play-by-play to check out the Davidson's big guy's scoring. According to that, he scored either 11 or 13 points versus Smart and 6-8 points against Sarr. He also got most of his rebounds when Smart was on the court. Sarr played 19 minutes vs. 18 for Smart.

This does show how the board gets a narrative and then attempts to make what happens fit preconceived notions.

Sarr is definitely not the defender some of us thought he would be, but last night Smart gave up more points in spite of being more physical.

BTW, barring injury or foul trouble, there is no logic in playing Johnson more minutes than Hoard.

I think it was the way he scored against Sarr that was no damning. There were a couple of times when he simply backed Sarr under the basket, seemingly with little effort, and turned and laid the ball in. At least he had to expend some effort to score against Smart. And we managed to make him miss some shots late in the game when we really needed stops - those were key. Some of those involved pressure from a second defender, as I recall.

There were also some shots not taken against Smart when Bajkovic tried to back Smart down with the dribble/hip bump move and Smart didn't move. Smart's size and strength kept that from happening. I was waiting for Smart to "pull the chair out from under him" on those backdowns.

There were also some shots not taken against Smart when Bajkovic tried to back Smart down with the dribble/hip bump move and Smart didn't move. Smart's size and strength kept that from happening. I was waiting for Smart to "pull the chair out from under him" on those backdowns.

I was waiting for the pull the chair move. Bajkovic would've face-planted into the basket standard.

I was waiting for the pull the chair move. Bajkovic would've face-planted into the basket standard.

More like he would have slid across the lane on his butt. Surprised it didn't happen. I would think Smart would be smart enough to know that move.

Smart got one of the biggest stops of the game after they'd cut it to 4 or 6 late.

Smart got one of the biggest stops of the game after they'd cut it to 4 or 6 late.

He did.

RJ is in the tank for Sarr; so, no matter what happens, he is going to defend Sarr and criticize Smart. Felt like the staff divided time between Smart and Sarr about as well as it could've been done given their respective weaknesses.

Not a coincidence that WF had its best defensive effort when Smart played his most minutes of the year last night. As Jaybone stated, the staff (Nestor) made a wise move when they chose not to double down low to force Davidson to beat them from inside the paint rather than from behind the arc.

How is it being "in the tank" to bring up the actual numbers?

My bad, stats are only usable when they prove what you want them to show.

If I ignored all of the posters with terrible takes, I’d have almost nothing to read.

And I’d have to put myself on ignore somehow.

And I love how my terrible take that is bothering people on this thread is that Danny Manning is still a bad coach, and it showed in the game yesterday. I've been debating if I still want to be a Wake Forest Basketball fan, and this fanbase makes it easier for me to walk away and say fuck 'em. I adopted Wake as my primary team after going to grad school, there are better teams with less annoying fans. Probably should take my basketball knowledge and AAU connections to a fanbase that doesn't attack people who point out things they don't agree with.

Back