• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Davidson Wildcats -- 7pm ESPNU Tonight

It's funny how this trumptard always talks about keeping politics off this board but always makes a comment about the tunnels being racist or close-minded.
To be fair, the tunnels is a shit show.

If you watch him on the sidelines, he's definitely coaching here and there. From my perspective, the past two games have shown a very different WF team that we've seen in 4 1/2 years. More cohesive on defense and more organized on offense. Nestor's impact has been undeniable.

So we are just pretending we didn’t have a top 10 offense 2 years ago now? Also, while I’m glad we won the last two games, let’s not overhype the “improvement.” If we impress in Knoxville then it’ll be time to dole out credit wherever you think it’s due.

And I love how my terrible take that is bothering people on this thread is that Danny Manning is still a bad coach, and it showed in the game yesterday. I've been debating if I still want to be a Wake Forest Basketball fan, and this fanbase makes it easier for me to walk away and say fuck 'em. I adopted Wake as my primary team after going to grad school, there are better teams with less annoying fans. Probably should take my basketball knowledge and AAU connections to a fanbase that doesn't attack people who point out things they don't agree with.

I haven't seen one person argue that Manning is a good coach after the Davidson game. People are just trying to take positives where they can find them.

Most of us don't have a choice about our fandom - Wake sports is in our blood, either because we spent important years of our life there, or we grew up as fans because of family or geographic connections, or whatever. If you think Wake has a lot of annoying fans you are in for a rude awakening.

Favor us with your fandom, or don't - we don't care. The rest of us will be here, fretting over Wake sports, looking for positives, bitching about the negatives, hoping beyond hope for future glory.

It's funny how this trumptard always talks about keeping politics off this board but always makes a comment about the tunnels being racist or close-minded. I agree that we should keep politics off the sports board. And the way to do that is by not making passive aggressive snipes at people you disagree with.
I think you just played right into his hand. Beautifully I might add.

There's understandable hesitancy to give the basketball team, and particularly the coaching staff, any credit because:

- The program has been so disappointing for so long
- The fear that doing so could be used as momentum to keep Manning

Totally get and agree with that sentiment. Even so, how about letting the season play out (there is not going to be a mid-season coaching change)? When the rare good moment happens, appreciate it; give credit where it is due. When the inevitable disastrous/stupid/embarrassing result occurs, continue to slam the program and agitate for change.

We all have battered wife syndrome at this point. It's hard, but try to stay objective.

I am trying, but the more I think about it, I just see 2 home wins over a terrible Charlotte team and a mediocre Davidson team without its best player.

That Richmond game was troubling because Richmond is terrible. They just lost at home to #293 Oral Roberts.

We could lose by 50 to Tennessee and it won't tell us something we don't already know. The key will be "never in doubt" victories against Gardner Webb and Cornell, to get us to 8-4 in the non-conference. Not good, clearly, but I'd at least feel like the team was improving at 4-1 over the last 5 (at that point).

All bets are off in the ACC... There are going to be some ugly losses and (hopefully) some enjoyable wins.

I just hope, at the end of it all, Manning is gone.

I am trying, but the more I think about it, I just see 2 home wins over a terrible Charlotte team and a mediocre Davidson team without its best player.

That Richmond game was troubling because Richmond is terrible. They just lost at home to #293 Oral Roberts.

We could lose by 50 to Tennessee and it won't tell us something we don't already know. The key will be "never in doubt" victories against Gardner Webb and Cornell, to get us to 8-4 in the non-conference. Not good, clearly, but I'd at least feel like the team was improving at 4-1 over the last 5 (at that point).

All bets are off in the ACC... There are going to be some ugly losses and (hopefully) some enjoyable wins.

This season has been a shit show so far, but the neutral floor wins against CS-Fullerton and Valparaiso were better than Charlotte.

ACC does look down this year. Louisville, Syracuse, GTech, and Miami have all had games were they looked really bad. On the other hand Pitt looks better than expected, despite the lack of roster talent. Top half of the league is stacked and should feast on the bottom half this year.

This season has been a shit show so far, but the neutral floor wins against CS-Fullerton and Valparaiso were better than Charlotte.

Agree... I was just talking about the recent results, given we are saying the defense has perhaps improved.

KP defensive efficiency is still terrible, but I suspect the last 2 games were the best of the year.

We won that game despite Manning, not because of him. Plus their best player didn't even dress. That said it was a step forward for the players who are trying real hard to get better as a tem.

Got nothing to add cuz this is pretty much spot on so +1. Still reserving judgment but perhaps Nestor is starting to rub off...hope meter still down at like 0.4 / 10.

Agree... I was just talking about the recent results, given we are saying the defense has perhaps improved.

KP defensive efficiency is still terrible, but I suspect the last 2 games were the best of the year.

Yeah unadjusted for opponent strength, the last two games are two of the best four defensive efficiency performances of the year for us. Charlotte was the best of the year and Davidson fourth behind CSF and Western. Charlotte was also our second best offensive effort behind only the opener against A&T (90 points on 69 possessions in the opener)

Man I missed this Sarr Smart discussion earlier. Let’s come back to that - people on here think there’s a debate as to who is better? I don’t think either has been particularly good but one of the two is clearly much worse.

Against Davidson Sarr showed glimpses of the player we thought he was going to be when we signed him. The dude needs to toughen up and he'll be OK.

Smart is slightly better at defensive rebounding and is objectively worse in every other advanced individual metric compared to Sarr - every single one (and is much worse at offensive rebounding). Perhaps Smart has a better defensive stat per synergy or some advanced site if you’re looking at specific individual matchups but he blocks fewer shots, forces fewer steals, and fouls more than Sarr.

Against Davidson Sarr showed glimpses of the player we thought he was going to be when we signed him. The dude needs to toughen up and he'll be OK.

Yep. He's a project. He'd barely play on a good team. He should be serviceable to solid next year.

I think I might have said this already, but I still have no idea what Sarr’s position is.

He’s like a 4.5.

The good news is we saw glimpses of what he could be. That is also the bad news. Only glimpses.

He hasn't shown me enough yet to make me think he really could be a stretch 4. And he really, really needs more muscle.

And I love how my terrible take that is bothering people on this thread is that Danny Manning is still a bad coach, and it showed in the game yesterday. I've been debating if I still want to be a Wake Forest Basketball fan, and this fanbase makes it easier for me to walk away and say fuck 'em. I adopted Wake as my primary team after going to grad school, there are better teams with less annoying fans. Probably should take my basketball knowledge and AAU connections to a fanbase that doesn't attack people who point out things they don't agree with.

WTF? Does donaldross have an unsuccessful jock sniffing little brother?

Back