• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore playing pretty well in the GLeague

It still was stupid. He's making about $35,000 this year. If he continues to do well, he can look forward to making league minimum money. Had he stayed at Wake and continued to improve, he would have been a 1st round pick with many millions guaranteed.
:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

one year playing professionally in the g-league is far better for development than a year in college. if you disagree, you are wrong.

That could be true and it STILL could have been better for him to have stayed. Assuming he stayed and continued on his track of improvement, he would have put up big numbers for us - we needed him and he would have been utilized as much as possible. That exposure could easily have led to him being a second round pick - with an outside chance of sneaking into the bottom of the first round. Even as a second round pick he enters the league with a higher profile and would be more likely to get focused, extended chances to succeed. He basically starts his career with a higher floor and a little head start over being an undrafted free agent with no buzz or profile at all. .
He may well work himself into the same place eventually but he started his pro career at a lower point - although a year earlier.

one year playing professionally in the g-league is far better for development than a year in college. if you disagree, you are wrong.

titcr

and based on a look at early mocks, he definitely wouldn't be a first rounder this year

Nice bit in the write up on tonight’s win.

——
Moore finished this game with 16 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 2 assists. He was a factor on both ends of the floor with his size.

He was able to finish on the offensive end and made a big impact on the defensive end with his ability to contest shots.

It’s hard to judge how he can fit into an NBA roster as he isn’t a great fit in today’s game but anybody with his size and ability to impact the game has a shot to be a good player.

——
https://bealestreetbears.com/2018/1...get-win-raptors-905-g-league-showcase-opener/

Had he stayed at Wake and continued to improve, he would have been a 1st round pick with many millions guaranteed.

You were getting ready to be right and then you said this.

Doral likely would have played into a second rounder in the ‘19 draft, but no way would he be a first rounder. It’s pretty rare for seniors to be drafted in the first round now days.

Last edited:
If that guy has improved as much as he had and continued for a second top season in the ACC and there aren't many bigs in the draft, it's very likely.

As I edited above, Doral's numbers were likely to be back-to-back double/doubles and Top 7 in the ACC in blocks. How many players who did that weren't first round picks?

Doral likely would have played into a second rounder in the ‘19 draft, but no way would he be a first rounder. It’s pretty rare for seniors to be drafted in the first round now days.

The current CBA makes being a second round pick a pretty good deal with lots of flexibility and potential for good contracts.

titcr

and based on a look at early mocks, he definitely wouldn't be a first rounder this year

You’ve claimed before that development is better in the G league than in college. I assume you think that because of the time restraints in college? Are you aware of any evidence to support this claim?

I’m not sure it’s a true statement. I would argue that when compared to the G league, colleges have significantly better facilities, weight programs, nutrition programs, trainers, medical staff, and coaching. G league coaches make less than $100,000 per year, compared to P5 coaches, who make 1 million + per year, which is why colleges attract better coaches. Colleges also provide training facilities year round, rather than the 5 months offered in the G league. Even transportation is more efficient in college (chartered flights vs commercial/busses), allowing for better pregame planning and post game recovery.

The good thing is that soon (2019-2020 season) we’ll be able to directly compare the development of elite players that choose the G league vs college. That should also provide a good idea of the true value of a college scholarship, as we can compare how many players choose that route vs the $125,000 g league salaries for top players.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure Doral didn’t take a bus from the Memphis suburbs to Mississauga, Ontario today.

Wake could be very average this year if Moore had stayed. Some might call it historically competitive. He would have been a big contributor.

Why no discussion of the difference in coaching quality Doral currently gets versus last year?

I’m pretty sure Doral didn’t take a bus from the Memphis suburbs to Mississauga, Ontario today.

I’m sure they flew commercial. I wonder how many stops they had? The G league does buy business or first class for 7 footers though, so Doral has it better than others.

I still wish him the best. I am glad he is playing well.

I still think he made a bad decision, but I'm willing to admit that I don't know what factors played into that decision.

We sure as shit could use him at the 5 this year. It has been said before, but we miss him a heck of a lot more than we miss Crawford (or Woods). I don't know that he makes this group a NCAA tourney team, but it'd be more enjoyable.

Silver lining is his absence makes it more likely that Manning gets shown the door.

I do think Doral doing it for two years in a row in college would have got him in the mid to high 2nd round. My issue w him was only that he had only 1 year of production that followed 4 yrs of - 2 in high school and 2 at wake - of minimal impact/minutes. I think everyone in the league wanted to see him produce another year.

That said, you could argue he is doing so now for pay. Is the 35,000 to 69,000 grand worth the lack of a wake degree though

Why no discussion of the difference in coaching quality Doral currently gets versus last year?
It's almost like having basketball be your full time job might be a great way to develop into a better basketball player...

Back