• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore playing pretty well in the GLeague

reminder that with less than 5 minutes to play and the outcome still in a tiny bit of doubt in the last game of his college career, his coach decided to put Doral Moore on the bench in favor of a freshman walk-on

good for Doral for working hard and following his dreams

Pulled him at the end of every game. Whether we needed a defensive stop and rebound or not.

I am surprised he is playing that well in the G-League - I really thought he could have used another year to physically mature and learn a few more tricks to compete against older and more experienced players.

Basketball is his full time job now. He practices and plays against older and more experienced players daily. I think we assume that college is where players develop, but it seems to make sense that there's more potential for development in a professional league without the distractions of class/work, girls, parties, etc.

Basketball is his full time job now. He practices and plays against older and more experienced players daily. I think we assume that college is where players develop, but it seems to make sense that there's more potential for development in a professional league without the distractions of class/work, girls, parties, etc.

plus ncaa restrictions on the dates and number of hours he can practice basketball each week

Mostly agree with this, but would guess that in college and in pro sports, including in the minor leagues, there will always be girl and party based distractions. Yes, even in Southaven, Mississippi, there are groupies.

Oh I get that, but you need to be good enough to make the team, and candidly, I was not sure his skill level was there. Granted, I know nothing about the G-League, so my view of his decision as being risky was just speculation.

It was heartbreaking to hear the announcers say Brandon was sacrificing his social life to try to work hard enough to win on this team. We aren’t winning and much of that isn’t his fault.

Oh I get that, but you need to be good enough to make the team, and candidly, I was not sure his skill level was there. Granted, I know nothing about the G-League, so my view of his decision as being risky was just speculation.

If he had come back and averaged 15/10 (very reasonable), he could have been a low 1st round pick in a year without a lot true centers. Barring something unusual, he will be a journeyman this way.

4bc19.jpg

http://basket.co.il/player.asp?PlayerId=11034&lang=en

At least he looks halfway happy. He always seem to look pissed of at Wake.

If he had come back and averaged 15/10 (very reasonable), he could have been a low 1st round pick in a year without a lot true centers. Barring something unusual, he will be a journeyman this way.

this doesn't make logical sense. as mentioned, he's gonna develop more as a pro focusing on basketball 100% than a college student-athlete. so if he would have been a 1st rounder with another year in college, he'd assuredly get a decent NBA contract by an NBA team as a free agent. of course, the far more likely scenario is that he had no chance of being a first round pick regardless of what happened.

this doesn't make logical sense. as mentioned, he's gonna develop more as a pro focusing on basketball 100% than a college student-athlete. so if he would have been a 1st rounder with another year in college, he'd assuredly get a decent NBA contract by an NBA team as a free agent. of course, the far more likely scenario is that he had no chance of being a first round pick regardless of what happened.

It makes a lot of sense. It's very, very, very rare that anyone gets more than the minimum in a call up from the G-League.

I wonder how many players since the 80s who had back-to-back double/double years in the ACC didn't get drafted in the first round.

Second rounders can also get a guaranteed contract.

Mostly agree with this, but would guess that in college and in pro sports, including in the minor leagues, there will always be girl and party based distractions. Yes, even in Southaven, Mississippi, there are groupies.

Even in a world with a full blown class A level epidemic of gold digging whores are there whores looking for that 19-28K G-league D. Maybe a dude on a pro contract playing down, but not for ole D. Moore. If he is getting it, it is on his looks and merits.

There are a ton of players that started in G league (or the D league) that have made a splash in the NBA:

- Danny Green
- Hassan Whiteside
- Marcin Gortat
- JJ Barrea
- Chris Andersen
- Jeremy Lin

Doral didn't average double digit rebounds last year. But here is a list of ACC players that averaged 10 rpg since 2011 and never did a thing in the NBA:

- Jordan Williams MD 11.8 2011
- Richard Howell State 10.9 2013 (9.2 in 2012)
- Tonye Jekiri MIA 10.2 2015
- Devin Thomas WF 10.2 2016 (8.8 in 2015)
- Zach Auguste ND 10.7 2016
- Bonzie Colson ND 10.2 2017

BTW, since 2011, only three other ACC players averaged 10 rebounds a game: Mason Plumlee, Brice Johnson and John Henson. While those guys were drafted, none of them have been anything other than NBA journeymen. So, averaging a double double in the ACC does not mean you will be: a) drafted or b) be anything other than an NBA journeyman.

Going to the G League and playing well, has not hurt Doral's NBA prospects, it has only enhanced them.

Last edited:
Pilch has been so wrong so often lately that it's getting totally embarrassing. In 19 ACC/ACCT games, Doral had 216 points/ 200 boards. That's over 10 ppg &rpg in the ACC.

Of course, Pilch is going to try to parse post to fit his needs rather than use the actual words. He's done it the last three times his posts have been shown to be wrong.

Barring a surprising explosion, the best he can hope for from the G-League is a minimum contract next year. Had he returned and played well, he would have been drafted and gotten more money.

In the last 8 years, there have been 9 ACC players that have averaged 10 rebounds a game. If you want to add Doral to mix because he averaged double digit rebounds counting ACC games only, that is fine. That makes 10. Less than half of those players were drafted, the best of them is probably John Henson, and he has had an NBA journeyman career. Essentially, the rest other than Mason Plumlee have not played in the NBA at all.

The point is that averaging double digit boards in the ACC does not guarantee: a) being drafted or b) anything more than an NBA journeyman career.

Did they also average double digits in scoring?

I said: "I wonder how many players since the 80s who had back-to-back double/double years"

Here's a link for actual stats (You can change the year):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...id/2/stat/rebounds/sort/avgRebounds/year/2009

On ESPN, I can't find a single ACC player who averaged a bakc-to-back double/double in ACC play since 2001 who didn't get drafted.

Thanks for proving my point that you dishonestly change what I post to fit your needs.

Last edited:
Did they also average double digits in scoring?

I said: "I wonder how many players since the 80s who had back-to-back double/double years"

rj: where would one find a comprehensive listing of basketball statistics from the 1980's for ACC play only?

and, Anthony Teachey - averaged 10.1 / 8.5 (all games)* as a junior, 13.1 / 10.0 as a senior, no NBA

*in 7 ACC games with box scores from his junior year, Teachey had 72 rebounds and 102 points

rj: where would one find a comprehensive listing of basketball statistics from the 1980's for ACC play only?

and, Anthony Teachey - averaged 10.1 / 8.5 (all games)* as a junior, 13.1 / 10.0 as a senior, no NBA

*in 7 ACC games with box scores from his junior year, Teachey had 72 rebounds and 102 points

So you may have found ONE in 38 years. According to ESPN stats, none would have met that criteria since 2001.

So you may have found ONE in 38 years. According to ESPN stats, none would have met that criteria since 2001.

your ESPN Listing shows stats for all games, not ACC games

please find us an easy-to-use site with stats for ACC games only

According to that site Moore did not average 10 rebounds per game; perhaps that's the site Pilchard used

Last edited:
your ESPN Listing shows stats for all games, not ACC games

please find us an easy-to-use site with stats for ACC games only

Luke Maye could meet the criteria.

If you look at the numbers, for anyone to have reached back-to-back years, they would have had to grossly outperform their entire season numbers.

I said "I wonder".

BTW, Teachey was drafted by the Mavs...and his Wake stats show he played in every ACC game not just the seven you mentioned...

Back