• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore playing pretty well in the GLeague

Lol, RJ is just awful. Moore's skillset is just not what teams are looking for in the first round, no matter the depth of bigs in the draft. It's like you've forgotten everything about last year. The majority of his points were from alley oops and 2nd chance garbage points. He could have put up similar numbers to Devin's senior year this season and he's not even sniffing a team using a first rounder on him.

Why do you LIUE!!! Even Stevie Charles could see that if you have back two BLACK double DOUBLES You are a lock for the first round. Doral is 7 feet Tall!!!

The "Doral could've done X and boosted his stock this year!" argument is immediately invalid as he would've been hamstrung by a completely inept coaching staff.

Agree with this! Good for Cigs doing well in the G League.

This video cracked me up.

Doral was benched in favor of a freshman walk-on in his last game as a Deac - good for him for getting some run and improving in the G League

That steal, spin, slam by Moore was way less awkward than I was expecting. By the way, Moore had 13 pts, 17 reb, 5 blocks, 3 ast, 2 stls in 29 minutes in that game.

The game before that he had 14 pts, 5 reb in 17 min (7-11 fg). He's averaging 8 pts, 6.4 reb, 1.6 blk in 17.4 min on 59% FG.

Another Rotowire write-up:
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/doral-moore-collects-17-rebounds/

Moore piled on 13 points (6-9 FG, 1-2 FT), 17 rebounds, five blocks, three assists and two steals in the win Wednesday over the Blue Coats.

If Moore's play over the last month is any indication, the G League might wind up being the big man's personal playground. The center has begun to receive more minutes, which has directly led to some high rebounding figures. If he can establish himself as a consistent offensive weapon, look for Moore to become more than just a glass eater.

The problem wasn't Moore, it was the guy coaching him.

Danny has failed as a coach, but you have to be willingly blind not to see the massive improvement in Doral from the time he arrived to when he left.

Danny has failed as a coach, but you have to be willingly blind not to see the massive improvement in Doral from the time he arrived to when he left.

This. I can half-buy the idea that Collins was a future lottery pick the moment he stepped on campus - despite being a 3star recruit. He has a super high motor and we all know Danny can't coach motor. If anything he is a motor buzz kill. But to dismiss Doral Moore's improvement as simply a result of Moore breathing while at Wake and developing on his own is crazy. I DO think you can give a ton of credit to our strength and conditioning folks who were able to bulk him up AND improve his quickness, fluidity and conditioning. But, he had terrible footwork and an awful tendency to drape his hands down 30 degrees when going up for blocks which guaranteed foul calls. Maybe he simply couldn't raise his arms up straight, but he grew leaps and bounds.

I buy that Manning is a good big man coach. But the facts are that Moore barely played his first two years (and when he did, he generally produced). Then he played as a junior and had a strong year. Now he's playing basketball full-time, so no surprise that he'd improve further (which, btw, is one of the big reasons for players to go pro, even if they aren't high draft picks).

tenor.gif

"It's black, it's white
It's tough for them to get by.
Yeah, yeah, yeah"

Am I being racist, or was the guy in this clip also in the Jamaican gang in Predator 2? Man, the early 90's were a loooooong time ago.

I buy that Manning is a good big man coach. But the facts are that Moore barely played his first two years (and when he did, he generally produced). Then he played as a junior and had a strong year. Now he's playing basketball full-time, so no surprise that he'd improve further (which, btw, is one of the big reasons for players to go pro, even if they aren't high draft picks).

I don’t think a coach should get credit for not playing players while not winning when those players finally contribute and play professionally.

Again Doral Moore played 20 minutes in back-to-back ACC games towards the end of his freshman year and combined for 32 points 15 rebounds six blocks and two steals over 40 minutes of game time.

I am willing to agree that danny is "a good big man coach." However, after watching him as the head guy I am increasingly convinced that he can teach big man fundamentals, tricks, craft stuff. But big man coach seems a little overdone. Part of that designation has to include teaching said big how to work in a structured off/def - nope, providing the right game scenarios to give the opportunity to practice in real situations and grow... - nope

I would argue that more learned a lot from danny but his growth was also hindered buy him as well. Collins had the talent/motor/intangibles to play in the nba from day one. He certainly learned from him and improved. However, I would say he's also a good example of someone that was, surprisingly, held back by danny (his defense coaching).

I don’t think a coach should get credit for not playing players while not winning when those players finally contribute and play professionally.

I may have been unclear but I agree — Moore was misused by Manning and made the right decision going pro when he did. Just saying that I don’t disagree Manning probably is good at coaching bigs, mostly based on his history.

One of those games was against one of the teams ACC history, BC. That BC team couldn't win against a lot of HS teams. But that's not important.

Willie Green scored 53 for the Sixers. Would that put him in AI's league? Using your logic it would.

P.S. Where is 09 about Chris having used this same post dozens of times?

One of those games was against one of the teams ACC history, BC. That BC team couldn't win against a lot of HS teams. But that's not important.

Willie Green scored 53 for the Sixers. Would that put him in AI's league? Using your logic it would.

P.S. Where is 09 about Chris having used this same post dozens of times?

My logic is that project big men don't produce almost double doubles in their only 2 20 minute stints as a rookie.

But we can also add Doral's 8 points and 7 boards and 2 blocks in 9 minutes at State and 6 points, 5 boards and 2 blocks in 13 minutes against Pitt. He was the most productive freshman "project" big man I have ever seen in my 40 years of watching ACC basketball.

Of course, I am arguing with somebody who thinks Roy Williams is a terrible basketball coach.

Somehow I doubt wake would have only won 2 ACC games if Moore or Collins had played along side of Thomas instead of spelling him a few minutes a game.

Never heard of a big man coach that would rather play 4 guards over 2 bigs.

Back