• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore playing pretty well in the GLeague

jaybone

Reaction score
I know Memphis signed Joakim Noah to backup Marc Gasol which essentially keeps Moore in the GLeague for the season unless either get hurt (Gasol gets hurt every year), but I checked his stats expecting 7-10 minutes per game and was surprised to find that Moore has been starting the last half dozen or so games and getting something in the range of 25 min, 14pts, 10boards, 2 blocks per game. He started the season earning about half those minutes, so his overall stats are 17 min, 8 pts, 8 reb, 1.5 blocks.

He is doing way better than I expected. Good for him.

Last edited:
I know Memphis signed Joakim Noah to backup Marc Gasol which essentially keeps Moore in the GLeague for the season unless either get hurt (Gasol gets hurt every year), but I checked his stats expecting 7-10 minutes per game and was surprised to find that Moore has been starting the last dozen or so games and getting something in the range of 25 min, 14pts, 10boards, 2 blocks per game. He started the season earning about half those minutes, so his overall stats are 17 min, 8 pts, 8 reb, 1.5 blocks.

He is doing way better than I expected. Good for him.

Glad to see him doing well, even though we could really use him (moreso than Crawford) this year. I think the overall shittiness of the team last year overshadowed how much progress Moore made.

It is always amazed me how much the board underrated Moore's natural abilities.

It is always amazed me how much the board underrated Moore's natural abilities.

I don't quite understand. You mean, all he needed to do/learn was fitness? He played 7 minutes a game or so his frosh year because essentially that was about all he could go. I think 15 minutes per game was his max. He might have inched that up to 20 minutes his sophomore year, and then last year leaps and bounds to 30+ minutes without looking pained the way he did frosh and soph years.

That isn't a criticism necessarily. When I watch Jokic with the Nuggets play, I think the same thing. Kid looks like he is on the verge of collapsing.

But to put it in perspective, the top five recruits ranking wise to commit to Wake in order I believe are: Aminu, Rodney, CP3, Hoard, and then Walker - if you go strictly by rankings. Moore obviously developed more at Wake than Walker did.

Moore played 20 minutes in back-to-back games as a freshman and combined for 32 points, 15 rbs and 6 blocks.
Conditioning was an issue but he could certainly play more than 7 Minutes in a game.

Last edited:
Highlights from a few nights ago vs. Northern Arizona. Moore played 27 min and had 17 and 10 on 7-8 FG, 3-3 FT, 2 ast, 4 blk.

Honestly, his highlights look similar to Collins with the Hawks. Lots of PNR, alley oops, and put backs.

Moore is so awkward that it was hard to appreciate his athleticism. While conditioning has been an issue, he could actually get up and down the court well for a 7 footer. His stroke inside 15 feet was also under-rated. Last season, his 69% FG% ranks among the ACC's all-time best. He definitely had some skills. His game doesn't translate well in this era which de-emphasizes low-post scoring, but even so, if he stays healthy and works at it, Doral will get NBA minutes at some point.

It still was stupid. He's making about $35,000 this year. If he continues to do well, he can look forward to making league minimum money. Had he stayed at Wake and continued to improve, he would have been a 1st round pick with many millions guaranteed.

It still was stupid. He's making about $35,000 this year. If he continues to do well, he can look forward to making league minimum money. Had he stayed at Wake and continued to improve, he would have been a 1st round pick with many millions guaranteed.

Sure.

When Collins and Moore came to Wake, Manning described both as having top of the backboard length. His assessment is accurate. That still plays as top shelf in the NBA. Doral's effort and persistence is earning him minutes and he is showing he can produce if given the opportunity. Time is on his side.

Highlights from a few nights ago vs. Northern Arizona. Moore played 27 min and had 17 and 10 on 7-8 FG, 3-3 FT, 2 ast, 4 blk.

Honestly, his highlights look similar to Collins with the Hawks. Lots of PNR, alley oops, and put backs.

I only watched long enough to see if Northern Arizona scored.

Whoa there Nellie!! 1st rd? Drafted, probably, signed to The League, probably. Love him, wish he was here but put down the doobie.

He would have been a first round pick? Where did you see that?

Whoa there Nellie!! 1st rd? Drafted, probably, signed to The League, probably. Love him, wish he was here but put down the doobie.

He averaged a double/double last year. His numbers were likely to go up this year.

Last year was a very strong year for true bigs. This year is very weak. Other than Bol Bol, Naz Reid is probably next best and Doral could have been every bit as good as Reid. He would have been far closer to being ready than Charles Bassey.

It's not just about how good he would have been.It's about who else would be available.

I know people like looking down on us, but when you look at Doral's talent and who will be available, my statement is extremely logical.

Don't know whether he'd have ever been a first rounder, but the video highlights to me show the physical maturity we would've expected to see this year if he'd stayed and no significant change in the skills he showed last year. Based on what we see right now it seems fair to critique his decision to leave early simply to get minutes in the G-league for a bare minimum salary. Glad Doral has managed to stay employed in the "NBA" at any level, but the truth is players of his size and capabilities get a shot at the lower levels EVERY YEAR as projects. That's what he is now, and what he likely would've been next year, except that he might have been 'drafted" and gotten a much better rookie contract. If he doesn't improve fast he'll likely be out of the league and overseas in a year or two replaced by another project big man.

one year playing professionally in the g-league is far better for development than a year in college. if you disagree, you are wrong.

Back