• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great John Collins Article

lol

this is not gonna go well for you, big guy

quit while you're behind

Yeah a bunch of posts about what I thought Manning could do with Collins and Dino on the team in year 4 combined with how he actually did without Collins and Dino in years 4 and 5 isn’t going to prove much of anything.

But keep going though, this is fun. I’m sure y’all can do better than that though.

No, he's not.

Would love to know what the last quote is in response to, the first two I’m assuming are from the beginning of year 4. I’ve admitted on several threads that those takes were way too optimistic and I’ll do so again here. I stand by the general principle though: with enough high end talent Manning could produce somewhere in the Skip/Dino range.[/QUOTE]

LOL WUTTT. we have our highest ranked recruit since Aminu...yet this is probably the worst wake team i have watched in my lifetime. just give up dude. you clearly dont understand this sport or what it takes to be a successful college program

Yeah a bunch of posts about what I thought Manning could do with Collins and Dino on the team in year 4 combined with how he actually did without Collins and Dino in years 4 and 5 isn’t going to prove much of anything.

But keep going though, this is fun. I’m sure y’all can do better than that though.

So when he’s admitting he’s wrong, is that admitting to inconsistency? Or just wrongly tuned nuance?

If ever a guy had earned the KanhojiAngre single thread sandbox treatment, it was this guy. Too late now though. Soon he will take his ball and leave the whole playground. He’s got to be hating that he agreed to that because he clearly needs this interaction. Fills a void. Otherwise he would just leave now.

Would love to know what the last quote is in response to, the first two I’m assuming are from the beginning of year 4. I’ve admitted on several threads that those takes were way too optimistic and I’ll do so again here. I stand by the general principle though: with enough high end talent Manning could produce somewhere in the Skip/Dino range.

LOL WUTTT. we have our highest ranked recruit since Aminu...yet this is probably the worst wake team i have watched in my lifetime. just give up dude. you clearly dont understand this sport or what it takes to be a successful college program[/QUOTE]

You missed the word “enough”.

And my statement has the benefit of having actually been proven true. With enough high end talent Manning was capable of producing in the Skip/Dino range.

So when he’s admitting he’s wrong, is that admitting to inconsistency? Or just wrongly tuned nuance?

If ever a guy had earned the KanhojiAngre single thread sandbox treatment, it was this guy. Too late now though. Soon he will take his ball and leave the whole playground. He’s got to be hating that he agreed to that because he clearly needs this interaction. Fills a void. Otherwise he would just leave now.

Half your posts on this board seem to be about me. I would say I’m going to worry about you when I’m gone but that would imply I’m going to remember you at all.

Believe me, I’m more excited for March 17 than you are.

Half your posts on this board seem to be about me. I would say I’m going to worry about you when I’m gone but that would imply I’m going to remember you at all.

Believe me, I’m more excited for March 17 than you are.

No, if that were true, you would leave now. This is what we call an inconsistency.

Lol. Manning is a terrible basketball coach. He caught lightning in a bottle one year and had a mediocre year which led to a pretty decent recruiting bump but he's been exposed for the complete and total fraud that he is as a college head coach. [Redacted] also had a couple of good years at Air Force does that make him a good coach? Manning got lucky with the team that should have actually achieved a lot more than going 9 and 9 in the ACC. At the end of five years his terrible ACC record will pretty much tell the story of the quality of coach he is. The fact that four of our five seasons under him have been complete failure seasons with the talent level we have is a travesty.

Last edited:
LOL WUTTT. we have our highest ranked recruit since Aminu...yet this is probably the worst wake team i have watched in my lifetime. just give up dude. you clearly dont understand this sport or what it takes to be a successful college program

And my statement has the benefit of having actually been proven true. With enough high end talent Manning was capable of producing in the Skip/Dino range.[/QUOTE]

he has his second best recruiting class on the team right now...you are blinder than a bat during noon hour...manning has not even come CLOSE to the skip/dino era even in year 4. what was our highest ranking that season? mid 40s? lol

Since RShill said he can’t wait for March 17, and no one is stopping him from leaving sooner than that, I’m going to assume that the Arbiter of Consistency will live up to his reputation by being consistent and leaving.

Which allows us to get this thread back on track. A face laceration sounds pretty bad. Any update on Collins? Will he be out for any period of time? Will this affect his All-Star weekend participation? Hopefully just a minor cut.

No, if that were true, you would leave now. This is what we call an inconsistency.

Nah. Y’all have given me so much mild entertainment the past 4 years that I feel obligated to see this through. I doubt the light is going to click for you in the next month but it’s worth a shot. Nuance.

Top 40 without Collins!!!

It's almost as if Manning is a good coach!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

What should be painfully obvious by now is that even if collins had stayed there was a really good chance to wake would have underperformed the next year because Manning is a terrible basketball coach. This is supported by the fact that he's had 4 dumpster fire seasons in 5 years with actually a pretty good collection of talent in those years. But RChill will always have that week in March.

Last edited:

And my statement has the benefit of having actually been proven true. With enough high end talent Manning was capable of producing in the Skip/Dino range.

he has his second best recruiting class on the team right now...you are blinder than a bat during noon hour...manning has not even come CLOSE to the skip/dino era even in year 4. what was our highest ranking that season? mid 40s? lol[/QUOTE]

Year 3 was at the mean and just below the median of the Odom/Skip/Dino era. That season alone doesn’t make Manning a good coach and it doesn’t excuse Wellman for bringing him here and keeping him for five years and counting. It does indicate that Manning’s ceiling is at least that high.

What should be painfully obvious by now is that even if collins had stayed there was a really good chance to wake would have underperformed the next year because Manning is a terrible basketball coach. This is supported by the fact that he's had 4 dumpster fire seasons in 5 years with actually a pretty good collection of talent in those years. But RChill will always have that week in March.

I’d say it was a near certainty. But that underperformance likely would have been another tournament appearance squarely in the Skip/Dino range.

If it would have shocked you that Manning might not have made the tournament the next year you really haven't been paying much attention

The attempt at seeming laid back and disaffected, when every single one of us knows that that is not at all how he is, is what I find peculiar. My man is more tightly wound than a weed eater spool.

And everyone be clear - he’s not going to remember us when he’s gone. I sincerely hope he doesn’t decide to lurk. The urge to correct someone without being able to do so may give him an aneurysm.

So Collins. Updates? Couldn’t find any news.

If it would have shocked you that Manning might not have made the tournament the next year you really haven't been paying much attention

It wouldn’t have shocked me. The certainty was that Manning would underperform. Making the tourney was certainly more likely than not, but not a certainty by any means.

Y’all have put yourselves in a logical pickle on this one.

If John Collins gets all the credit for year 3, then it’s hard to argue that if he returns in year 4, presumably an even better basketball player, that the team will somehow get worse.

So either Manning did something right in year 3 that you think he couldn’t replicate in year 4, or we likely would have been a tournament team in year 4 again if everyone came back.

he has his second best recruiting class on the team right now...you are blinder than a bat during noon hour...manning has not even come CLOSE to the skip/dino era even in year 4. what was our highest ranking that season? mid 40s? lol

Year 3 was at the mean and just below the median of the Odom/Skip/Dino era. That season alone doesn’t make Manning a good coach and it doesn’t excuse Wellman for bringing him here and keeping him for five years and counting. It does indicate that Manning’s ceiling is at least that high.[/QUOTE]

when I think skip/dino era i think NCAA tourny and top 25 rankings. this was a norm for wake basketball. Manning sniffed this once while he was here...albiet a very quaint scent was revealed. hes got the coaching talent of my shoe laces...and the communication skills of a rock

Back