• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great John Collins Article

Of course we didn’t have to play him at center. That was a coaching decision especially his freshman year when we had DT.

Right. He was never a C but played there in college. Could even make an argument he was mis-used his Sophmore year but was such a talent, HE made it work.

Of course we didn’t have to play him at center. That was a coaching decision especially his freshman year when we had DT.

That was just Manning playing chess rather than checkers. He knew that getting Collins more experience wouldn't aid his development, or somethign...

Not surprised Collins is shooting it so well. Collins had a nice stroke at Wake, we just played him as a Center so he never played far from the basket. Jump shots can be developed in the league.

I forget which poster said that Hoard would be better than Collins but we gotta find him.

So true. People forget that John Collins arrived at Wake in the fall of 2015 as a fully formed 17 year old basketball demigod who had been hiding in Florida as a borderline 4 star recruit . He hasn’t actually developed at all since high school, it just took 4 years for his coaches to finally figure out how to use him.

Hawks-Clips on NBA TV. Collins has 14 with 8 left in the 2nd.

Hawks-Clips on NBA TV. Collins has 14 with 8 left in the 2nd.

Young looked good tonight, but I can't help but imagine the damage that Doncic and Collins could've inflicted on the league.

Young is narrowing the gap. Funny that the announcers hammered him for an ill advised deep three but he made up for it on that possession and then he nailed a deep three soon thereafter. He’s 7th in the league in assists. That’s surprising.

Young is narrowing the gap. Funny that the announcers hammered him for an ill advised deep three but he made up for it on that possession and then he nailed a deep three soon thereafter. He’s 7th in the league in assists. That’s surprising.

Sure, but the gap is still huge. Young’s offense is coming around but he’s atrocious on the other side of the ball. He’s gotten himself up to replacement level, which is nothing to sniff at for a rookie, but Doncic is a borderline all-star.

Trae has the tools to end up being a top 10 PG, but I don’t see him ever getting to the tier Dame and Kyrie are at now (which feels like the minimum you need to win a championship if your PG is one of your top 2 players).

That’s definitely fair. Like I’ve said before, the trade will be judged by who the Hawks get with the Mavs’ pick. At least we know this isn’t a Dirk for Tractor Traylor situation.

That’s definitely fair. Like I’ve said before, the trade will be judged by who the Hawks get with the Mavs’ pick. At least we know this isn’t a Dirk for Tractor Traylor situation.

Plus their own pick which would have likely been about 8-10 spots worse if they took Doncic.

Yep.

By the way, here are Collins' stats after 33 games: 19.5 pts, 10.0 reb, 2.3 ast, 59.5% FG, 40.0% 3PT with a 22.4 PER (24th in the league).

He's shooting 11 percentage points higher from three than Steph wannabe, Trae Young.

He's shooting 11 percentage points higher from three than Steph wannabe, Trae Young.

Trae needs a coach who will demand he stop taking so many threes. Since late January 2018, Young is an awful three point shooter. He could get 15-18 ppg by driving and getting out on breaks. He's lightning quick and a willing passer.

John and trae young both playing in the rising stars game, no surprise

He’s close to being the inaugural member of the 60/40 club, which is arguably more impressive than the 50/40/90 club.

We started looking closely at his 20/10 prospects a few weeks ago and said his chances at 60 depended on shooting fewer 3s. We are wrong so far.

Looks like Bachman will also enter the NBA Draft to follow in Collins' footsteps.

Is it just me or does it seem that the better that the better Collins' progresses as an NBA player, the more credibility Manning loses as this "big-man guru?"

I recognize that Manning knows the "ins and outs" of NBA basketball and probably helped develop Collins, but it appears that Collins would have been a stud no matter where he went to college for two years.

The talent is real and is only getting better.

I agree. Which makes sense because his talent and potential was obvious from watching his HS clips. I don’t know how people keep getting it wrong. He was under recruited out of HS, under utilized at Wake, drafted way too low, under utilized as a rookie, and not getting nearly enough hype for putting up numbers I don’t think we’ve ever seen before at 21 years old. Hell, it’s only been a few months since this first John Collins in my google search was the drink.

Collins is shooting 40% from three in the NBA and was 0-1 in his Wake career from outside. I understand that we used him inside from an efficiency vantage point but it's not like he suddenly learned how to shoot the ball once he got to the NBA. He shot 74.5% as a sophomore big at Wake from the free throw line and had a good stroke there and on the midrange jumper.

Back