• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great John Collins Article

Collins is shooting 40% from three in the NBA and was 0-1 in his Wake career from outside. I understand that we used him inside from an efficiency vantage point but it's not like he suddenly learned how to shoot the ball once he got to the NBA. He shot 74.5% as a sophomore big at Wake from the free throw line and had a good stroke there and on the midrange jumper.
Plus we had a 7 footer rim protector that sat on the bench so that he could be an undersized Center on a very poor defensive team

Collins is shooting 40% from three in the NBA and was 0-1 in his Wake career from outside. I understand that we used him inside from an efficiency vantage point but it's not like he suddenly learned how to shoot the ball once he got to the NBA. He shot 74.5% as a sophomore big at Wake from the free throw line and had a good stroke there and on the midrange jumper.

Yeah, but it's not unusual for a big man or even a PF to extend his range once he gets older and gains NBA experience. Rodney Rogers was a 35% 3-point shoorter on college, taking more 3-point shots each of his three years. In the NBA hewas a career 35% 3-point shooter but had some really good years above 40%, that got pulled down by his last 4-5 years of crap shooting.

Really it's a different game with different offenses though. But less so now than in the past.

I was going to include Dinos' stats as backup and sasw that he shot 44% on 3-pointers last year in Greece (12/27) and just 22% this year (8/36) !

Exactly. Cause that never happens.

Meh plenty of bigs learn to shoot 3s in the league but they usually are pretty limited to flatfooted set shots. JC looks like a damn 2 guard with his shot fluidity. No doubt in my mind he could have stretched the floor while playing some 4 at Wake. He’s incredibly skilled as a shooter.

This is not necessarily true on multiple levels. First, when you practice nothing but basketball you become better than playing in college. There are lots of guys (look at Kawhi) who become much better shooters in the pros.

Further, it's not like he went from no shots in college to becoming Klay Thompson immediately in the NBA. During his first year, JC took less threes for the season than Klay does in two weeks. It's not like the Hawks saw him as a three point shooter last year.

In college, if you took all the time and effort to practice taking threes, it would have taken time from the development that landed him in the Top 20. It's not a zero sum game in college.

Danny has failed as a coach, but not having JC take a lot of threes is not one of those areas.

Heard through the grapevine that Collins was a very good three point shooter even while he was at Wake. The gameplan simply went through him inside rather than floating out around the perimeter.

Heard through the grapevine that Collins was a very good three point shooter even while he was at Wake. The gameplan simply went through him inside rather than floating out around the perimeter.

If he was so good, why didn't the Hawks let him shoot last year?

He's definitely improving and will become virtually unstoppable if he can hit 35+% of threes.

Last edited:
I think the "didn't shoot 3's in college" as a criticism of Danny is dumb:

1. He shot over 62% from 2

2. He has the skillset to create his own 2-point shot and did not (and does not) have the skillset to create his own 3-point shot -- he's hitting on assisted 3s. You take away his playmaking value putting him on the arc. Perhaps he creates some value by being able to put the ball on the floor and take slower 4s and 5s off the dribble. I doubt it would net out to be much more efficient than what he did in the position he played, even if he shot 35% from 3.

3. He also averaged just under 4 offensive rebounds a game, which would decrease the more he's playing around the 3-point line.

4. Based on the rest of the Wake personnel, who else would have slotted in the post? Moore some, SJM was not good, Dinos couldn't do it. You gonna run a 5-out offense?

Danny's not a good coach, but this is a bad criticism. It only makes sense if you're criticizing Danny for not showcasing JC for the NBA, not for failing to utilize JC appropriately.

I'm not saying that he needed to be Brandon Childress out there, but he attempted one three period while at Wake.

Sure he was plenty good, but I think we could have exploited a lot of mismatches by having him outside at times. Hell of a player around the basket, no question. As far as criticisms of Danny I have, it's way down the list - just surprised he didn't step out a bit more.

I'm not saying that he needed to be Brandon Childress out there, but he attempted one three period while at Wake.

Sure he was plenty good, but I think we could have exploited a lot of mismatches by having him outside at times. Hell of a player around the basket, no question. As far as criticisms of Danny I have, it's way down the list - just surprised he didn't step out a bit more.

You're the state guy. For JC to be used on threes at a high rate, he would have to have shot 40+%. As Juice showed JC shot 62% on twos. Do the math.

Juice, your post is fair but about the wrong thing. The criticism isn't that Manning didn't let him shoot enough 3s. The criticism is Manning limited his playing time by restricting him to C because he couldn't score inside and out as a PF. He only played 26.6 min a game. Some of that was due to foul trouble, but Manning didn't manage that well either.

This is not necessarily true on multiple levels. First, when you practice nothing but basketball you become better than playing in college. There are lots of guys (look at Kawhi) who become much better shooters in the pros.

Further, it's not like he went from no shots in college to becoming Klay Thompson immediately in the NBA. During his first year, JC took less threes for the season than Klay does in two weeks. It's not like the Hawks saw him as a three point shooter last year.

In college, if you took all the time and effort to practice taking threes, it would have taken time from the development that landed him in the Top 20. It's not a zero sum game in college.

Danny has failed as a coach, but not having JC take a lot of threes is not one of those areas.

giphy.gif

Just an anecdote, but I took a friend who had never seen Collins play to the game here in Richmond his sophomore year and my buddy was totally blown away by Collins' electric talent. Some dudes just have it and Collins definitely did/does. The fact Collins shot 75% from the line his sophomore year should have indicated he could hit from the outside, though not necessarily that he had 3pt range.

Collins was not underused because he only took one 3-pointer, he was underused (in terms of minutes played) as freshman, and underused as a sophomore (by playing him as a true C) when he will was and will always be a PF.

Regardless, it is clear that as Collins keeps getting better, Manning loses credibility that he is some "big man guru."

Because Manning actually made JC a worse shooter and it took the Hawks a year to fix the damage. Duh.
Lol, the only time RChill comes out of his hole these days is to refute Collins posts and Bz/Manning comparisons. It's like clockwork.

Collins was not underused because he only took one 3-pointer, he was underused (in terms of minutes played) as freshman, and underused as a sophomore (by playing him as a true C) when he will was and will always be a PF.

Regardless, it is clear that as Collins keeps getting better, Manning loses credibility that he is some "big man guru."

That's absolutely ridiculous. Who helped him get there? Who saw the talent and utilized it?

Back