• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great John Collins Article

Lol, the only time RChill comes out of his hole these days is to refute Collins posts and Bz/Manning comparisons. It's like clockwork.

I'd bet that RC's post was facetious.

Collins is #3 in the league in 2PT%, #7 in FG%, and he'd be tied for #27 in 3PT% if he had enough attempts.

Other schools saw the talent. His talent helped him get there.

Your hatred of Danny blinds you to the second part of that statement.

Danny has failed here, but he did very, very well for JC. To say he didn't is totally irrational.

Lol, the only time RChill comes out of his hole these days is to refute Collins posts and Bz/Manning comparisons. It's like clockwork.

To be fair, that’s all I’ve ever really done via a vis Manning.

And the only claims I’m refuting about Collins are those that imply he hasn’t busted his ass the last 4 years to become a borderline all-star.

To be fair, that’s all I’ve ever really done via a vis Manning.

And the only claims I’m refuting about Collins are those that imply he hasn’t busted his ass the last 4 years to become a borderline all-star.

That's weird. Everybody else is saying he busted his ass the last 4 years to become a borderline all-star. You're the only one demanding Manning gets credit for it.

Your hatred of Danny blinds you to the second part of that statement.

Danny has failed here, but he did very, very well for JC. To say he didn't is totally irrational.

Who ever said hatred? Look at my posts and find somewhere where I mentioned hatred?

No where did I say that Manning did not help Collins. I am calling into question that Manning is far ahead of any "big man coach" in the country.

One of his strengths is supposed to be that he is some incredible big man coach, and I am simply calling into question is he REALLY leaps and bounds better than any other head coach. Did he help Collins? Sure. But how much? He could have increased his production at any institution with increased playing time.

Keep up.

College and pro coaches agree about Danny's ability to coach bigs. JC clearly improved massively at Wake as did Doral.

The same way college and pro coaches endorsed [Redacted] as a genius basketball mind.

There's a difference between being a great mind and implementing it.

On other threads we have listed all the bigs that Danny coached who made the NBA. There has been a pattern of success for his career, including at Wake.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Who helped him get there? Who saw the talent and utilized it?

Everyone.

The dirty secret in the recruiting world surrounding JC is that Telep actually had him pegged as the #1 player in that class (ahead of Ben Simmons) but when he submitted his ratings JC was an 89 by mistake instead of a 99. All the other scouts figured they must have been wrong about JC and rated him similarly. Telep was going to run a piece titled “Why John Collins will be the greatest Kentucky big man yet,” but pulled it when he saw all of the other scouts rating Collins so low (not realizing his typo started it all). All of the blue bloods backed off because they figured the scouts knew something they didn’t and once everyone figured out what had happened JC had committed to Wake because Manning was trying to recruit an unranked 6’2 4-guard named John Collins but sent the offer letter to the wrong guy.

That's weird. Everybody else is saying he busted his ass the last 4 years to become a borderline all-star. You're the only one demanding Manning gets credit for it.[/QUOTE]

It’s almost like good coaching + good effort = improvement.

I believe that JC’s recruiting ranking was a relatively accurate reflection of the player he was as a senior in HS, that he’s worked very hard since then to get where he is today, and that he’s benefited from some great individual coaching along the way.

Others have argued that he was far far better than that when he set foot on campus, the logical implication being that he hasn’t improved nearly as much, nor busted his ass nearly as hard.

There's a difference between being a great mind and implementing it.

On other threads we have listed all the bigs that Danny coached who made the NBA. There has been a pattern of success for his career, including at Wake.

Yeah and most of them have sucked in the NBA. Except primarily the Morris twins who, like Collins, have completely different games in the NBA than they did in college.

Arguing whether Manning is a good big man coach while he's currently our head coach and has demonstrated that he is absolutely abysmal in that role is pretty hilarious. It's like arguing whether someone is a great actor after they've just directed five of the worst movies ever made. Who gives a shit? It's also entirely possible Collins would have been great regardless, which is my belief AND that Manning is a good big man coach. Those aren't mutually exclusive propositions.

That's weird. Everybody else is saying he busted his ass the last 4 years to become a borderline all-star. You're the only one demanding Manning gets credit for it.[/QUOTE]

It’s almost like good coaching + good effort = improvement.

I believe that JC’s recruiting ranking was a relatively accurate reflection of the player he was as a senior in HS, that he’s worked very hard since then to get where he is today, and that he’s benefited from some great individual coaching along the way.

Others have argued that he was far far better than that when he set foot on campus, the logical implication being that he hasn’t improved nearly as much, nor busted his ass nearly as hard.

No it isn't. That's ridiculous. The logical implication is that he did bust his ass to fulfill his potential. He wasn't some raw project.

No it isn't. That's ridiculous. The logical implication is that he did bust his ass to fulfill his potential. He wasn't some raw project.

Nah it’s simple logic. I think JC has improved more since he set foot on campus than you do. I think we can agree that effort is positively correlated with improvement. Thus the greater the improvement, the greater the effort (this relationship is not necessarily linear).

Arguing whether Manning is a good big man coach while he's currently our head coach and has demonstrated that he is absolutely abysmal in that role is pretty hilarious. It's like arguing whether someone is a great actor after they've just directed five of the worst movies ever made. Who gives a shit? It's also entirely possible Collins would have been great regardless, which is my belief AND that Manning is a good big man coach. Those aren't mutually exclusive propositions.

This.

I'd bet that RC's post was facetious.

Ya, probably so. Either he's bored trolling cuz there's nothing to debate (we just suck) or he's really that shamefully pathetic at trying to defend Manning.

ETA: oh boy, I shoulda read further down before posting. Like any of this is even worth debating at this point. JC did us all a favor by coming to Wake when he should have just gone to UoM and kicked our ass as a key frosh reserve on a good team.

Back