• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great John Collins Article

Everyone.

The dirty secret in the recruiting world surrounding JC is that Telep actually had him pegged as the #1 player in that class (ahead of Ben Simmons) but when he submitted his ratings JC was an 89 by mistake instead of a 99. All the other scouts figured they must have been wrong about JC and rated him similarly. Telep was going to run a piece titled “Why John Collins will be the greatest Kentucky big man yet,” but pulled it when he saw all of the other scouts rating Collins so low (not realizing his typo started it all). All of the blue bloods backed off because they figured the scouts knew something they didn’t and once everyone figured out what had happened JC had committed to Wake because Manning was trying to recruit an unranked 6’2 4-guard named John Collins but sent the offer letter to the wrong guy.

If Danny was a '99' then he really didn't need Danny Manning's help now did he? Really, a typo?? Telep copped to this?

John was probably a 95/96 but I don't think he was quite a 99 yet. He had a very nice "old school" looking game judging by his tape, but it was probably fair to surmise that the level of competition was strong enough to know for sure how good he was / would be. It's just surprising that there were not more blue bloods involved based on his obvious athleticism alone.

FWIW, Manning consistently stated that scouts were way off on their rating of Collins in high school, usually with a chuckle and look of incredulity. His usage of his big men is worthy of criticism. Collins could have been effectively used at PF with Thomas or Moore at center. This was especially true in 2016-17 when Manning chose to play over 15 minutes each game with a single big man on the floor and three good bigs available. Manning has averaged 11 minutes each game with one big on the floor his career at Wake. His insistence on matching up with his opponent rather than forcing them to match up with him shows his limitations as a coach and/or his stubbornness. In part, it may also account for his inability to attract quality big men to Wake. Moore and Collins were the first and last.

That’s the main thing you’ve been doing. Now you think it’s ridiculous.

There are two sides to every argument, otherwise it’s not an argument.

I’m not the one seemingly incapable of recognizing the possibility that Manning is good at some things and bad at some things; that he’s had one good season, 3 bad seasons, and whatever this abomination is; that he’s a better all around coach than some and worst than most.

Ya, probably so. Either he's bored trolling cuz there's nothing to debate (we just suck) or he's really that shamefully pathetic at trying to defend Manning.

ETA: oh boy, I shoulda read further down before posting. Like any of this is even worth debating at this point. JC did us all a favor by coming to Wake when he should have just gone to UoM and kicked our ass as a key frosh reserve on a good team.

Defending Manning is like defending a serial killer already convicted of 4 murders against a 5th murder charge that he obviously didn’t commit. You don’t really want to be there but also can’t stand the State being lazy and blatantly illogical.

Defending Manning is like defending a serial killer already convicted of 4 murders against a 5th murder charge that he obviously didn’t commit. You don’t really want to be there but also can’t stand the State being lazy and blatantly illogical.

What you've done is more akin to a serial killer being convicted of 4 murders, but wanting to get through the trial for his 5th before you decide whether he deserves a life sentence or not.

I mean, hell, the 3rd murder wasn't even that gruesome.

Maybe its easier to talk about MURDERERS instead of MURDERS. Wellman was the first murderer of the basketball program, followed by Bz, then Manning. Luckily for the last two, they don't get charged for the murder because it was already dead. Amirite?

What you've done is more akin to a serial killer being convicted of 4 murders, but wanting to get through the trial for his 5th before you decide whether he deserves a life sentence or not.

Not really. I wouldn’t have been upset if Danny was fired at any point during his tenure. If I had been the AD I would have done it after year 4.

There are two sides to every argument, otherwise it’s not an argument.

I’m not the one seemingly incapable of recognizing the possibility that Manning is good at some things and bad at some things; that he’s had one good season, 3 bad seasons, and whatever this abomination is; that he’s a better all around coach than some and worst than most.

Manning is bad at everything related to being a college basketball head coach except training John Collins. He was good at that one thing and pretty good at training Doral, but that was mostly conditioning.

There, can we leave it at that? Dissecting the nuance of what Manning is good at as a coach is totally pointless because the net result of his coaching is putrid.

Not really. I wouldn’t have been upset if Danny was fired at any point during his tenure. If I had been the AD I would have done it after year 4.

Now you’re just trolling.

Manning is bad at everything related to being a college basketball head coach except training John Collins. He was good at that one thing and pretty good at training Doral, but that was mostly conditioning.

There, can we leave it at that? Dissecting the nuance of what Manning is good at as a coach is totally pointless because the net result of his coaching is putrid.

Nah. If y’all keep making factually incorrect statements I’m going to keep correcting them until I leave in March.

I agree that dissecting the nuance of what makes a college coach good or bad is pointless. Especially when it comes at the expense of judging that college coach purely on his results compared to reasonable expectations. I’m glad someone else gets it.

Now you’re just trolling.

Just being consistent. I’ve said since at least year 2 that if Wellman could bring in a can’t miss coach then he should fire Manning in a heartbeat.

I’m guessing I would be a mediocre at best AD, but I’m confident I could have picked out someone who was clearly better than Manning after year 4 and convinced them to come to Wake. I did not have that confidence in Wellman and still don’t. I hope he proves me wrong.

https://www.nba.com/hawks/whatmenwant

“Make sure you’re at the game on Saturday, Jan. 19, when Taraji, director Adam Shankman and executive producer Will Packer debut an exclusive clip from the movie for the fans and have some cool give aways on hand for some lucky winners.

Shot in Atlanta and partly at State Farm Arena in the spring of 2018, What Men Want features appearances by some of the BIGGEST NAMES IN SPORTS including the Hawks’ own, Grant Hill, Jami Gertz and JOHN COLLINS.

What Men Want hits theaters February 8th. See the trailer”

Just being consistent. I’ve said since at least year 2 that if Wellman could bring in a can’t miss coach then he should fire Manning in a heartbeat.

I’m guessing I would be a mediocre at best AD, but I’m confident I could have picked out someone who was clearly better than Manning after year 4 and convinced them to come to Wake. I did not have that confidence in Wellman and still don’t. I hope he proves me wrong.

Can you provide a single post from year 2 as evidence? Or even another year? This doesn’t bear the ring of truth.

So you still don’t think Manning should be fired. Wellman is still the AD.

Can you provide a single post from year 2 as evidence? Or even another year? This doesn’t bear the ring of truth.

If you want to go search through a bunch of threads three years ago be my guest. It beats the ring of common sense. That statement is true of almost any coaching situation in America.

Back