• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great John Collins Article

Johndeac

Reaction score
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/59vayq/john-collins-is-the-rarest-jewel

"For some, this take will be held fresh out of an 800-degree oven, but there’s a decent chance Collins will wind up as one of the three best players from his draft class."

"What Collins projects to be does not grow on trees. Relative to score-first wings and electric point guards, the rim-running, paint-diving, pick-and-popping power forward who switches on the perimeter, spaces the floor, protects the rim, passes, and puts the ball on the deck without hesitation is the rarest jewel. the kind of player who indirectly makes the game so much easier for everyone else, and every team wants one. (Think "more explosive Al Horford.")"

bUt dEvIn tHoMaS aVeRaGeD a dOuBlE dOuBlE

Thread derail ACTIVATED

I have JC (& Tre Young) on my fantasy hoops team so I watch a lot of Hawks games. JC has definitely taken another major step in his development this season. Still needs significant improvement on the defensive end to reach the next level.

Another good Collins article here via Paul Flannery.

And Zach Lowe tweeted out link to Flannery piece and said he had been planning on Collins piece of his own.

We've been talking about him on the NBA thread. Collins has a good shot at a 20/10 season at 60% FG. If his numbers are in line with the last 11 games in which he's finally playing 30+ minutes, he will average 20.3 pts, 11 reb, and 59.5% FG.

Remember when people thought it would be better for John’s career to sick around at WF for another year? Lol

Remember when people thought it would be better for John’s career to sick around at WF for another year? Lol

the argument was that he could jump up the draft board

I do wonder where he would have gotten picked if he had stayed

I still wonder the same thing I wondered when those mock drafts came out and then he went 19th or whatever - who the fuck was that much better than John Collins when he entered the draft? Anyone that watched Wake games knew how talented he was and it seemed pretty evident that his style of play would fit in with the NBA.

I remain baffled about him not going lottery. Was the knock his time at Wake, his relatively lower ratings out of high school, both? Something else? I truly don't get it. I mean the guy should've been ACC POY as a sophomore based on the numbers and he went 19th.

We've been talking about him on the NBA thread. Collins has a good shot at a 20/10 season at 60% FG. If his numbers are in line with the last 11 games in which he's finally playing 30+ minutes, he will average 20.3 pts, 11 reb, and 59.5% FG.

JC has been on fire recently.
In his last seven games he's averaged 22.7 points and 12.4 rebounds
He had 20 and 13 last night in a win over the Wizards

bUt dEvIn tHoMaS aVeRaGeD a dOuBlE dOuBlE

Thread derail ACTIVATED

thank you bmoney

can't wait to hear more dumb takes about how devin was 2nd team all acc!!!

please tell me more about how he got worked by leday when it actually mattered

the argument was that he could jump up the draft board

I do wonder where he would have gotten picked if he had stayed

If he’s gonna be this good, it’s a way way better choice to go ahead and get closer to that second payday (the one that matters). If he’s gonna be good enough to make $60 million in a second contract, who gives a shot if he got drafted #8 overall and made a few million earlier? Going was a smart bet on himself, and staying would have been a dumb bet on himself given the volatility in the draft and potential for injury at Wake.

Especially since it’s not like we would have been playing for a championship.

going early was defs the right move

still curious how high he could have gone the following year with a full season of hype

going early was defs the right move

still curious how high he could have gone the following year with a full season of hype

Yeah. He would have been an interesting junior simply because he was still so young. If he put a ridiculous year say he jumped from 18/9 to 25/12. I think he could have easily landed top 10, and perhaps really climbed.

Still a great and safer decision to move in his case, but I think financially it works either way. By getting to his second contract earlier he will benefit. By staying he makes more early, and gains the status of being a top pick which can make some money both in contracts and marketing.

I love watching him play.

Cool to see him getting the type of hype this year that he would have gotten at Wake had he stayed. Sad for us, but cool for him.

Yeah. He would have been an interesting junior simply because he was still so young. If he put a ridiculous year say he jumped from 18/9 to 25/12. I think he could have easily landed top 10, and perhaps really climbed.

Still a great and safer decision to move in his case, but I think financially it works either way. By getting to his second contract earlier he will benefit. By staying he makes more early, and gains the status of being a top pick which can make some money both in contracts and marketing.

I love watching him play.

I think Wendell Carter Jr. at #7 was the highest he could have jumped over with a great season.

Which would have been MY BULLS, so I take it back -- should have stayed.

Imagine being a Pacers fan, knowing your team took TJ Leaf over Collins. Leaf is leading the league in picking splinters out of his ass.

Back