• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman - Kiss the Ring

We should take a poll. Ten times rather have a winning football program. That has changed over the years as college basketball has become a junk product.

Absolutely! Wake is the only reason I’ve ever cared about basketball. I wont watch a non-Wake college basketball game all year, but I loooove some college football.

Our ceiling used to be much higher in basketball. It definitely should be. However I think I enjoy football success much more. Probably because the bowl system, as silly as it is, leaves you feeling better about an ok-great season than the NCAAT.

Meh. Any pre-Christmas bowl game is completely meaningless to 99% of people. At least the Tourney gives you a chance to win and advance.

Meh. Any pre-Christmas bowl game is completely meaningless to 99% of people. At least the Tourney gives you a chance to win and advance.

Which we’ve done so well with. The excitement before a tournament when you have a good team is awesome, but as a Wake fan I’m not sure I’ve ever not been disappointed in how a basketball season ended.

Which we’ve done so well with. The excitement before a tournament when you have a good team is awesome, but as a Wake fan I’m not sure I’ve ever not been disappointed in how a basketball season ended.

TITCR

There also really isn’t an equivalent in basketball to yesterday.

It was awesome to see a team that was destroyed by injuries pull itself up, finish the season strong, and bring home some hardware.

Wellman should not be allowed to make the next basketball hire

Wellman should not be allowed to make the next basketball hire

I’m fine with that. Mike Buddie sat in Dave Clawson’s kitchen into the wee hours of the morning 5 years ago, I would be happy to see him put in the same kind of work with the future of the basketball program.

Your ring?

":sphinc·ter
/ˈsfiNGktər/Submit
nounANATOMY
a ring of muscle surrounding and serving to guard or close an opening or tube, such as the anus"

So, yeah, the word "ring" is accurate here.

Our ceiling used to be much higher in basketball. It definitely should be. However I think I enjoy football success much more. Probably because the bowl system, as silly as it is, leaves you feeling better about an ok-great season than the NCAAT.

And the bowl system, which awards mediocrity, giving many 6-6 teams the chance at losing records, awards about 1/2 of the close to 135 or so D1 football teams a bowl berth. Now while I would certainly rather go to a bowl and win said bowl, let's face it, Peahead Walker would have been to about 10 bowls if he had been our coach back in his time based on what it takes today. If we did this in basketball we would have about 175 teams making March & April Madness.

Who knows, if the football committee has their way soon, we may be on our way to 8 teams in the playoffs, then 16 and our bowl system would be kaput. Plus the conference title games. First round games would have to start on Thanksgiving weekend and Rivalry weekend could be the weekend before that. Who knows? But for now I am still enjoying the win over Memphis and my quick trip to Birmingham!

the 1996 season ended honorably

Absolutely! Wake is the only reason I’ve ever cared about basketball. I wont watch a non-Wake college basketball game all year, but I loooove some college football.

This attitude is brought to you straight outta New Jersey

This attitude is brought to you straight outta New Jersey
We have Louisville and Syracuse in the ACC. Many of us witnessed the golden age of ACC basketball. Premium product. College basketball today is women's volleyball.

I disagree strongly with my fellow Wake alums that we should focus on anything other than men’s basketball. However, after my experience at our last two bowl games, I recognize I’m in the extreme minority. Folks would rather win a meaningless bowl game than head to the Sweet 16. It is what it is. Life is about choices. Don’t blame WF’s basketball future on anyone other than ourselves. We chose it.

Amazing to watch Wellman stack the overall cash losses. Two generations of students who never saw winning basketball. Future Deacon Club disaster. A few thousand in the seats . Paying day to day on a coliseum when the crowd could fit in Varsity Gym. It's like watching a stock drop but no guts to admit it's over and take the loss. We are so far passed the worry of having to pay two coaches. I don't think Manning cares if he gets fired, but he just can't be a quitter.

Oh, don't forget Wellman was the one that assured Clawson that Elrod was a "safe" guy to have around the program. One step further, he got him a job with the firm that manages WFU's endowment. Don't let this little nugget escape Ron's resume' of dumb decisions.

Oh, don't forget Wellman was the one that assured Clawson that Elrod was a "safe" guy to have around the program. One step further, he got him a job with the firm that manages WFU's endowment. Don't let this little nugget escape Ron's resume' of dumb decisions.

Wellman did have a head booboo. Poor fella.

I don't think Manning cares if he gets fired, but he just can't be a quitter.

This is where we are. Everyone know this is not working. Manning probably wants to do something with his life that is meaningful.

He does not want to quit and be labeled a quitter, yet Wellman does not have the balls to let him go.

It's like an old married couple where they generally despise each other but no one wants to initiate the divorce.

Back