• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe or Clawson, who ya got?

^^ Nonsense. Grobe left a bare cupboard after 4 dismal years. The reason we have Clawson is that he like to rebuild failed programs. And we were at rock bottom when grobe left.

It's not just about the roster. It's about Deacon Tower and other stadium improvements, higher pay for assistants, practice facility improvements, proof that Wake can win the ACC and/or go to a major bowl. All of that happened under Grobe.

very happy that Clawson is here, and he is on track to be our greatest coach ever, but he needs to stick around for a while to move ahead of Grobe's much higher peak (or, he could have a higher peak)

Grobe won 28 games over 3 years and were it not for a spectacular implosion vs. Miami would have had WF in 4 bowls in a row.

Clawson just won 3 bowl games in a row for the first time in WF history, and that's great

Counting the ACC Championship, Grobe won postseason games 3 years in a row

I guess he just lied in his opening press conference then.

Clawson didn’t know how bare the cupboard was.

Good answers here. Grobe showed what this program could be in the short term. Clawson looks to be doing it long term. No way would Grobe ever fire a long term assistant like Clawson did to Schier. Definitely no way Grobe fires a coordinator midseason.

Clawson didn’t know how bare the cupboard was.

Good answers here. Grobe showed what this program could be in the short term. Clawson looks to be doing it long term. No way would Grobe ever fire a long term assistant like Clawson did to Schier. Definitely no way Grobe fires a coordinator midseason.

He knows why he took the damn job.

the good news is that we don't have to choose, we've had both and I am glad we did/do -- for the long haul I would choose Clawson especially where the game is today and based on his management skills. Grobe with Troy Calhoun was a great pairing. Like others have said before, Grobe was understandibly impacted by Prosser.

Clawson

Several times during post game interviews he has mentioned how much he loves coaching at WF. Yesterday after the game in the press conference he thanked Wellman for hiring him. I think he’ll stay.

I think we’ve been pretty fortunate in that our last two head football coaches have been perfect fits for Wake Forest. I was fortunate to start law school at WFU in the fall of ‘02, so I have been around for 17 seasons of pretty dang good football. 8 bowl games, six bowl wins, an ACC Championship, wins over big-time programs (Clemson, FSU, aTm, etc), and a dominating record against in-state opponents. The 9-8 record against State in those years is particularly satisfying.

Grobe had 5 winning seasons and 8 losing ones. He had one excellent three year period due to hitting two years of recruiting.

Unless Calwson is 1000% in love with Wake, I doubt he'll be here for thirteen years. He may get a bigger offer this winter or next if he has another bowl win. With the new ESPN contract we can give him a significant raise. The question is if he wants a new challenge.

Grobe posted a 6-2 and 2 5-3 season records in conference. Clawson has yet to post a winning ACC record, that’s an important next step along the way.

After watching him get emotional and tear up yesterday I don't think he is going to go anywhere

Grobe had 5 winning seasons and 8 losing ones. He had one excellent three year period due to hitting two years of recruiting.

Unless Calwson is 1000% in love with Wake, I doubt he'll be here for thirteen years. He may get a bigger offer this winter or next if he has another bowl win. With the new ESPN contract we can give him a significant raise. The question is if he wants a new challenge.

He has 2 kids right? What are their ages?

Back