• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe or Clawson, who ya got?

Both Navy games were crap weather (especially the 09 game) where we had a massive size advantage on the OL/DL. In the first loss, Riley did throw 4 INTs. Our Lobo-trash offense rushed 31 times for 43 (!!!) yards. Navy had 292 yards rushing.
I was at the 2008 game and recollect the weather was fine. After three big wins vs Baylor, ole Miss , and at FSU, we came in over confident, and played horribly. We did rebound the next week and beat Clemson in a nite game. I remember thinking we might never beat FSU and Clemson again in the same year-- true so far.

I like Jim Grobe but he left nothing in the cupboard when he left.

Exactly. He just quit recruiting and did not get good assistants to go around him. Look at what Clawson did this year with the defense sucking--he fired the DC and we started improving. Grobe was much too loyal to ones that were not adding to the program and thus we went downhill fast. Left Clawson with absolutely nothing on which to build except a few people on defense.

Everyone here overlooks Jim Caldwell left Grove some pretty good football players. Grove parlayed that into a couple good recruiting classes. Clawson had to build it from ground zero.

Apples and oranges, but if you give Clawson (and Rug) our talent from '05-'09 in a down ACC, I think he does even better than Grobe. People forget how awful Lobo was.

8-5 and 5-7 in '08-'09 were just criminally bad coaching. If you look at the game-by-game results, we honestly should have gone 11-1 in '08 (the 1 being the bed shitting @Maryland) that year.

I completely agree about 08/09. We should have won several more games.

Clawson is doing a good job. I wouldn't trade him for Grobe. But he hasn't created the legacy Grobe did during the peak years. Wake Football was legit, capable of beating anybody in the ACC anytime, including the good teams. We aren't there yet under Clawson.

Clawson is doing a good job. I wouldn't trade him for Grobe. But he hasn't created the legacy Grobe did during the peak years. Wake Football was legit, capable of beating anybody in the ACC anytime, including the good teams. We aren't there yet under Clawson. **

** Clemson was abysmal with Tommy Bowden, Bobby Bowden had grown senile, Chuck-the-Chest was at Moo-U, Duke couldn't beat a good high school team and Louisville was not in the ACC.

But, please continue.

** Clemson was abysmal with Tommy Bowden, Bobby Bowden had grown senile, Chuck-the-Chest was at Moo-U, Duke couldn't beat a good high school team and Louisville was not in the ACC.

But, please continue.

FSU was consistently top 5, like Clemson is today. UVA, UNC, Maryland, GA Tech, Va Tech*, BC*, and Miami* were all MUCH better teams consistently 2001-2005 than they are now. NC States best years in the last 2 decades were under Rivers. And he started at State when Grobe started at Wake.

*2003 forward in ACC

Except for Grobe's last two years, where they finished 10 and 1.

Right. But we were talking about Grobe's peak. There was no FSU/Clemson dominant team in those years. The ACC was very weak. By comparison, the ACC has had a Top 5 team the last 6 seasons.

Right. But we were talking about Grobe's peak. There was no FSU/Clemson dominant team in those years. The ACC was very weak. By comparison, the ACC has had a Top 5 team the last 6 seasons.

and During Grobe's peak, we played some tougher OOC games. Stanford, Purdue, Nebraska, UCONN, Ole Miss, Baylor, ECU, Navy, Notre Dame, Boston College, Cuse, Vandy

By comparison, Here's the OOC games Clawson played in 5 years: ULM, Gardner Webb, Utah St, Army, Elon, Indiana, Notre Dame, Tulane, Delaware, Presby, Towson, Rice, App St.,

Last edited:
He stayed way beyond his short peak and left the cupboard totally bare for the guy following him.

He stayed way beyond his short peak and left the cupboard totally bare for the guy following him.

Good, you've made that point, as have others. I don't disagree Grobe's last 2 years, and the year before the Music City Bowl year were awful years. I said I think he stayed loyal to avg to below avg assistants for too long. He didn't replace talented assistant coaches that left for other programs with talent. I'm sure he'd change that if he could. He's at fault for those 3 years, but when comparing an entire 13 year career, I'd still take those 10 other seasons and what he did for our school. Nobody wanted to play us and we were very close to playing in a lot of bowl games. Maybe swap a few Vandy games during their best years, @ Nebraska, @ stanford, Purdue, for a few Towson's and Delewares, and we are talking 6-7 bowl games for Grobe.

John Wolford was recruited by Grobe's staff. He's the best Wake QB, statistically speaking, we've ever had.

Duke Ejiofor, Wendall Dunn, Cam Serigne, Grant Dawson, marquel Lee, Ryan Janvion, Tyler Harris were all starters and impact players on Bowl winning teams, all Grobe Recruits. His later classes had way too many misses, but I disagree the cupboard was totally bare.

Last edited:
It was totally bare on the offensive side, which is what I said a few pages back. No quarterback, no receivers, a terrible OL, and very average RB

and During Grobe's peak, we played some tougher OOC games. Stanford, Purdue, Nebraska, UCONN, Ole Miss, Baylor, ECU, Navy, Notre Dame, Boston College, Cuse, Vandy

By comparison, Here's the OOC games Clawson played in 5 years: ULM, Gardner Webb, Utah St, Army, Elon, Indiana, Notre Dame, Tulane, Delaware, Presby, Towson, Rice, App St.,

Did scheduling those OOC help us or hurt us under Grobe? We probably go to bowls in between Seattle and the OB with a softer schedule. IIRC, Grobe had some influence over that schedule.

Exactly.

Back