• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe or Clawson, who ya got?

BarcaDeac

Reaction score
Better coach for Wake?

Grobe delivered us the ACC Championship and OB, but I think Clawson suits us better and don't think he'll get complacent and let us decline like in the latter Grobe years

Clawson.

He doesn't protect his "buddies" as coaches. Fired an incompetent DC mid-season and ADDRESSED the freakin problem head-on to salvage our season.

2006/7 were absolutely magical and I'll always be appreciative of Grobe's accomplishments. But, he had numerous opportunities to fix issues later in his career and absolutely refused.

7-6 for this team when we were looking like 3-9 midseason was amazing.

The Orange bowl run was great but Grobe was very average after his better coaches left, and he replaced them with retreads. Will never forgive him for 10 years of Lobo as OC, and for not expressing outrage at three of his former coaches being the protagonists in wakeylinks drama.

Last edited:
I love Grobie, he showed that it was possible to win an ACC title here and have multiple successful seasons. Clawson however I think has the energy and drive to do everything he can to make this program as good as it can be and he’s not afraid to make bold moves and take some risks to do it. I think he embraces the challenge of Wake Forest and takes a lot of pride in being successful here. We were lucky to have had Jim Grobe and we are lucky to have Dave Clawson.

Love Grobe, and the Orange Bowl was awesome and probably something I’ll never experience again in my Wake fandom, but I wish he’d left after 07 or 08. He sort of sullied his legacy at the end. I still have mostly fond memories of him. I think Clawson is doing a good job and I hope Clawson wins enough to be linked to big jobs. I’m not sure I see the need to compare the two at this stage but whatever.

Grobe was all class and the statesman who did the unthinkable @ lil WF whereas Clawson is all class as well but with a visible fire and passion and absolute expectation and accountability for excellence that continues Grobes legacy matching Grobes 3 bowls in a row and a chance to make his own history as well next year with #4. As already mentioned Grobe got too comfortable and not demanding excellence from his coordinators (Lobo in particular) and program ended in a real decline. And unfortunately Grobe came across as a little bitter with some post WF comments as well as not strongly coming out against some of his assistants when caught cheating.

I don’t think Claw will grow complacent anytime soon and might shock the nation with a major bowl as well in due time if a big time program doesn’t pick him off beforehand.

Grobe's success was during down years for the ACC. Claw is mostly competitive in a stronger league.

Grobe accomplished remarkable things and created great memories. However, he was very much dependent on his assistants and when his best assistants left the program declined. Clawson has a plan and a scheme in mind. He has assembled a great staff; but when his top assistants left for larger schools, the program continued to improve. Clawson is more hands on and recruits like crazy. I hope he loves WF as much as he says because I don't think Wake could find a better fit.

As someone who was in school when Grove was hired and ranks my trips to the ACC Championship and Orange Bowl right up there with being at every game of Chill's ACC Tourney, Clawson is far and away the better coach.

Last edited:
Tough question...big fan of Grobe at the time, but later years got tough. Claw is bringing in a new energy and I dig what he is selling so far. I like the future with Claw.

I think we are fortunate to have had both. Will always appreciate what Grobe did for us. Clawson has impressed in so many ways...I hope he stays at Wake and continues to be successful for a long time. I like how he recruits. I like what he squeezed out of team that lost this many players to injury. I like seeing him lose his shit on the sidelines. He's become my favorite Wake fball coach.

There is a good chance that Grobe will end up with the best single season of the two; however, I am willing to bet that Clawson will have way more of a consistent run. Grobe had some really poor seasons towards the end of his tenure, which seemed to be a result of complacency. This season had all the earmarks of a poor season, yet Clawson was still able to ring 7 wins out of it. This would have been a 3 win season under Grobe. However, props to Grobe for getting the Wake program to a point where we could hire a Clawson.

^^ Nonsense. Grobe left a bare cupboard after 4 dismal years. The reason we have Clawson is that he like to rebuild failed programs. And we were at rock bottom when grobe left.

^^ Nonsense. Grobe left a bare cupboard after 4 dismal years. The reason we have Clawson is that he like to rebuild failed programs. And we were at rock bottom when grobe left.

I guess he just lied in his opening press conference then.

Back