• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Overlooked MVP's

BlackjackMc

Gil McGregor
Reaction score
In the excitement and exhilaration of a come from behind bowl win most fans celebrate the offensive accomplishments that lead to victory. From my perspective the Deacon defense were the most valuable players this afternoon.

At 11:04 in the second period the Deacs trailed 28-10. For the next 39+ minutes the Deacon defense held Memphis scoreless in dominating fashion. Memphis had nine offensive possessions. 41 plays. 104 yards of offense. The nine possessions ended in punt, downs, punt, interception, punt, punt, punt, punt and punt.

The D has received a lot of criticism over the course of the year. Today they deserve recognition for a job well done.

Agreed. Would add that the defense against NC State, Duke, Memphis, and even (to some extent) Pitt, gives me hope for the future under Hemphill’s leadership.

It cannot be overstated how good Bachman was this year. Really wish we had a fifth year for him.

Aside from today's game, he won the NCSU game by blocking two dudes on the Frued TD catch. And it's possible that the BC game ends differently if Bachman was healthy.

It cannot be overstated how good Bachman was this year. Really wish we had a fifth year for him.

Aside from today's game, he won the NCSU game by blocking two dudes on the Frued TD catch. And it's possible that the BC game ends differently if Bachman was healthy.

Agree! Bachman will be so missed next year. I hope the other Wr's were watching and learning. The guy was a baller and a winner!

The defense really stepped up from the 2nd period. They were an entirely different bunch than played the first 5 games. Guess coaching does matter-- to bad we can't get a basketball coach. Bachman really was the unsung hero not only of he game yesterday,but the whole season. Hope he gets a shot at the NFL. He runs great routes and if the ball is near him he catches it. As much as I am not a New England fan, he would fit in really well there

These Bachman takes are probably ready to come out of the oven.

Maybe Bachman will redshirt and play in 4 games next season.

(Joking)

Agree with these MVP's and that our D was outstanding after first 2 possessions against one of the most vaunted offenses in the country. Having said that I thought our O Line did a great job all day as we accounted for over 500 yards of offense and had a nice balance throughout of mixing run (50) to pass (40) leading to over 300 passing and over 200 rushing yards.

MVP: Clawson for making a coordinator change midseason. Very un-Wake but clearly the key to turning around our season. The defense immediately looked better starting with the Case game. Had that change not been made we do not go to a bowl.

Clawson is really as polished, and sincere as coaches come. I also like it that he gets fired up on game days on the sidelines. Bresky, Muss, and Clawson have been great hires. It appears Wellman has been 3/4 on key recent hires.

I'll vote for Yarbary and Rodney, who held the defense together.

These 2 get my vote for Co-MVP's for 2018....particularly #48 !!!

And a close 2nd is Bachman....Wake's answer to Clemson's Renfro and former Hokie Danny Cole. Honestly, how many 'drops' did Bachman have over the past 2 seasons....not many to NONE.

My Rookie of the Year is Sciba….and to think we'd sorely miss Weaver. If possible, this kid is already better !

Back